Lifestyle

Part of the Canberra community
for over 30 years

Canberra’s Owen Campbell spontaneously combusts on Australia’s Got Talent

By johnboy - 18 April 2012 79

“The guy’s an arse, but what a talented arse”

Sunrise brings us a brutal character examination of Canberra’s Owen Campbell including Brian McFadden’s protracted thoughts about our man after his Australia’s Got Talent Audition.

Here at RiotACT we thought he was lovely when we interviewed him in 2007.

Here’s some video of him performing:

owen campbell

UPDATE 18/04/12 17:34: Owen’s had this to say about this article:

One person who commented was right, I was a complete d***head… But I think in hindsight, my arrogance was but a symptom of how nervous I was, putting myself on this sort of program has never appealed to me, but, we shall see what happens… I appreciate your honesty who ever wrote that though…

He’s also written about this on his website.

UPDATE 18/04/12: 11:48: And here’s Owen’s 6:53 of fame, although we hear he way be getting back into the show post fireworks:

UPDATE: 19/04/12 09:11: And our congratulations to Owen our one man traffic spike:

mount owen

What’s Your opinion?

79 Responses to
Canberra’s Owen Campbell spontaneously combusts on Australia’s Got Talent
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
bloodnut 10:18 am 20 Apr 12

phototext said :

@ #52

Why are you so threatened by it that you need to go on the attack?”

Yep, very bizarre, but very human. I think it’s the same part of the brain that sparks up when people get into Holden vs Ford….It’s meaningless tribalism.

Look forget Danni for a second.

It’s actually not harmless fun or meaningless tribalism.

Music from major labels does nothing but narrow your field of choice and purposefully erodes your artistic literacy.

They also seek to suppress the voice and economic sustainability of real musicians who refuse the reduction of their art to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Your musical choices aren’t harmless fun, and it’s a choice that’s slightly more sophisticated than your brand of bourbon or car.

Maybe you are happy paying significantly extra to a mutli-national to choose your iTunes library only to never see that money re-invested in local arts endeavours..

Or you can be community minded and check out what’s available independently or locally. It takes a bit more effort but is worth it in the long run.

Which – back on topic – is the difference between danni minogue and owen campbell – one supports the devil and one actually (whether you realise it or not) supports the growth of your local community.

phototext 9:02 am 20 Apr 12

@ #52

“It always makes me laugh how some people feel the need to belittle music styles that doesn’t fit their narrow definition of ‘real music’. They also have a need to insult anyone who may like a different type of music.
What is interesting is that on the most part, these people would normally consider themselves to be liberal and accepting of other peoples beliefs and choices in almost every other way.
Personally I am not a fan of Meldodic Death Metal, Spouge, Partido Alto or Danni Minogue but I’m sure other people enjoy them and I have no problem with them enjoying whatever harmless fun they like.
Why are you so threatened by it that you need to go on the attack?”

Yep, very bizarre, but very human. I think it’s the same part of the brain that sparks up when people get into Holden vs Ford, Nikon vs Canon, my football team vs your football team, Apple vs Microsoft, Left vs Right, Jim Beam vs Jack Daniels arguments. It’s meaningless tribalism.

Overheard 1:27 am 20 Apr 12

Thumper said :

Damn, I missed saying that, f*ck, this guy can play, I mean, really play….

Not quite Daniel Champagne play, but still way up there. Way beyond plonkers like me 🙂

Oh, Thumper, you cannot be serious.

Daniel is an amazing player, percussive guitarist and interpreter of others’ music. But in terms of really laying it on the line and paying those dues that mean you hone your craft and don’t make a deal with the devil down at the crossroads, I think you’ll find Owen has earned his stripes and accolades.

HenryBG 12:00 am 20 Apr 12

johnboy said :

I’m sorry but people who don’t like danni minogue don’t like music.

let’s check the relativist bulldust at the door.

We’ve had pedophile defence on this site today and we’re not adding Danni Minogue defence to the list.

They’re talking at cross purposes: Dannii *does* have talents.
They just aren’t *musical* talents, they are a talent for self-promotion, and a talent for riding the coat-tails of her equally untalented sister’s success at selling manufactured pop music to people with defective talent sensors.

KB1971 9:04 pm 19 Apr 12

Can we deport Brian?

Calling Owen an arse? Owen only cracked a few bad jokes at some unprofessional judges (who shuld have judged him on his talent & nthing else), Brian had an affair with another women and broke up a family by leading with his penis.

Ask his ex wife who the arse might be……….

As for Owen *insert arms up emoticon here*, I might give him a tenner next time I see him for the laugh of the year so far with the boy band retort. Pure gold.

kakosi 8:26 pm 19 Apr 12

Perhaps when he’s spent a few more years busking and doing small venues without ever getting a recording contract he might learn to control that hair trigger temper.

far_northact 8:05 pm 19 Apr 12

I think he was great – and the audience agreed. It’s bullshit to have 3 judges, clearly all ‘on the same team’. The audience should get an equal vote – because he would have got in then. a) he’s talented and b) what did he do wrong, other than have a joke?

I-filed 7:50 pm 19 Apr 12

Ha! Never seen Danni Minogue let down her guard and look sour, petulant and vindictive before! Good on you OC!

Diggety 6:48 pm 19 Apr 12

johnboy said :

I’m sorry but people who do like danni minogue don’t like music.

let’s check the relativist bulldust at the door.

Is that what you meant to say?

Anyway, a wise man (me) once said: “really camp guys like Kylie, and really bicurious European guys like Danni”.

Like the sisters, one wants to be the other but won’t admit it. That is all needed to be said on the matter.

dtc 6:48 pm 19 Apr 12

phototext said :

The UK charts would say otherwise. You do realise that there is a world outside our borders?

This is the internet. I do not believe there is a world outside my own beliefs. If there is, its wrong.

Diggety 6:20 pm 19 Apr 12

bloodnut said :

Diggety said :

Bad example bloodnut.

So sorry about that.

Here’s one with moving pictures attached that might make more sense to you.

But please – enjoy her success.

Waste as much time talking about that lady as you like.

Just leave my durries out of it.

bigfeet 6:18 pm 19 Apr 12

bloodnut said :

Actually it’s more like smoking. To each their own – but the decent thing to do is educate people that it’s sh*t created by a corporation to steal your money. But enjoy.

Why are you so threatened by it that you need to go on the attack?

johnboy 6:22 pm 19 Apr 12

I’m sorry but people who like danni minogue don’t like music.

let’s check the relativist bulldust at the door.

bloodnut 5:37 pm 19 Apr 12

Diggety said :

Bad example bloodnut.

So sorry about that.

Here’s one with moving pictures attached that might make more sense to you.

But please – enjoy her success.

johnboy 5:50 pm 19 Apr 12

I love the stunningly low view counts on her old vids. I reckon Owen might have Danni on that score.

Thumper 5:22 pm 19 Apr 12

“My aim isn’t to be in a boy band, chief”.

And the winner for the best put down in 2012 goes to….

Diggety 4:11 pm 19 Apr 12

bloodnut said :

phototext said :

@ #42

God forbid the peasants should enjoy entertainment that doesn’t fit your worthy ideals.

Having fun, how dare they!

Corporations ‘stealing my money’?? Yet Governments make the biggest profit in between me and the ‘corporation’ I choose to trade with.

And tobacco wasn’t ‘created’, it evolved and grows in the ground. Smoking on the other hand has been around abut 5900 years before corporations were invented.

Bad example bloodnut.

Baldy 4:11 pm 19 Apr 12

HenryBG said :

6matt9 said :

New Yeah said :

McFadden – “he could have won the show”

Fo sho, a blues slide guitarist is going to win Australia’s Got Talent. *cue valley girl accent* “As if”.

Good on Owen for saying what everyone with any semblance of musical integrity thinks. Not sure what the nannas in the audience thought.

I don’t agree with your last comment. Why bother going on the show in the first place if your plan is to be rude to the judges? I’m a musician…played in local bands since I was 15…I believe I have musical integrity but I certainly wouldn’t have behaved like that. Defeats the purpose doesn’t it?

Well, I *do* agree with that comment – the judges are allowed to be total cocks, and the entrants on these talentless quests are expected to kow-tow to them? #@%$ ’em.
Good on Owen.
“My aim isn’t to be in a boy band, chief”.
10/10.

These sorts of TV shows are complete rubbish, why would somebody like Owen be on it in the first place, that’s the mystery?

+1 on all points

VYBerlinaV8_is_back 3:54 pm 19 Apr 12

Gungahlin Al said :

I love Owen’s music. Bought a CD off him. And stop to listen whenever he’s around. Beautiful slide…
Yeah that was a bit of a brain fade. But it was nowhere as bad as it appeared when watching the careful splice job done for the Sunrise piece! That was a real hachet job – worthy of A Current Affair. 🙁

But anyone ready to sound off should realise how stressful it is to find yourself in front of a huge audience. And you can do or say dumb things under that kind of stress

Owen owned up and that’s a credit to him – just as it was for a certain other high profile apology recently. I’m glad he’s getting another go because they really see some outstanding music. But it will probably be even more stressful for him after all this. It’ll be a real test…

+1. Well said.

bloodnut 3:16 pm 19 Apr 12

phototext said :

@ #42

Having fun, how dare they!

phototext 2:34 pm 19 Apr 12

@ #42

Having fun, how dare they!

phototext 2:19 pm 19 Apr 12

“…and I bet he gets a larger than ever audience…”

as well as lots of free beer.