Lifestyle

Part of the Canberra community
for over 30 years

Canberra’s top eateries?

By TheGingerNinja - 16 April 2012 99

There seems to be an excessive amount of restaurants and cafe’s in the capital, the standard from personal experience is quite low in many forms of the dining experience, especially in the quality of food or poorly made coffees, with the exception of a top restaurant starting with “S” that I found to be excellent in all forms.

What are your thoughts?

What are your favourite places to eat and why?

What makes these places stand out?

What’s Your opinion?

99 Responses to
Canberra’s top eateries?
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
stormboy 10:35 am 17 Apr 12

I had lunch at BBP the other day and was wowed by what’s on offer at The Fat Goanna. Diverse ala carte menu, well priced and bloody good eating.

poetix 10:20 am 17 Apr 12

Genie said :

Wait a minute ! Did someone mention Tilly’s.. as in DING your microwaved food is ready???

I go to Tilley’s every day. I love the fact I can write there for hours if I want without being thrown out by the staff. I like the soup, too, and stopping there with my daughter for a glass of wine sometimes after school. (She doesn’t have wine yet.)

The coffee is fine too.

johnboy 10:24 am 17 Apr 12

Rather than have an argument on the merits of Tilleys how about we continue to make constructive suggestions of places we like to go.

Genie 9:55 am 17 Apr 12

Genie 9:51 am 17 Apr 12

Hmmm I need to get out more.. I haven’t heard of half these places…or maybe I’m just too simple..

Give me a burrito from Zambreros or a Grill’d burger any day of the week !

jezmezer 9:21 am 17 Apr 12

Seoul Palace – in Civic on Northbourne. Found this beauty as a Uni Student, still going back there. Great food, great wine and BYO available, fast service, friendly, never been disappointed!

buzz819 8:56 am 17 Apr 12

The Dark said :

Gonna throw my 2 cents in for Debacle in Braddon (don’t think they have been mentioned in a while). Great beers, pizza and tapas, the pizzas can be abit pricey but good for there size and Monday and Tuesday are 2 for one, so splitting a few with a couple of mates is fairly cheap, same sorta thing with the tapas plates, cheap on there own or platters to share. Similar sorta place to ABN and Tilly’s, the inner north pub/eatery style but with more focus on food and with high end cafe style breakfasts in the morning. Good place to check out if you havn’t before or havn’t been in a few years.

Too bad they are being either forced to move, or shut down! BOO!

The Dark 12:41 am 17 Apr 12

MJay 12:19 am 17 Apr 12

Onred was nice (by Canberra standards of course 😉 ) last time I went- which was a while ago so no idea what they are like at the moment…

Lanterne rooms has some scrumptious food.

I would second the suggestion of Fekerte’s Ethiopian.

Italian and sons is on our must try list.

screaming banshee 9:55 pm 16 Apr 12

There must be two sage restaurants in Canberra because the one I went to was crap. They gave brodburger a run for their money on service times and brought out one main plate a full 30 mins before the rest of the table. The food was average at best and the staff useless, we won’t be going back.

Spykler 9:25 pm 16 Apr 12

canberralocal said :

To be honest, you all need to get out more into some serious restaurants like Rubicon and La Scala. They are way ahead of the run of the mill variety.

I ate at Public the week that it opened and it was diabolical so I’m pleased to hear that it was a good experience for someone a bit more recently.

Rubicon- yes, La Scala- No…That’s all you need to know.

canberralocal 8:52 pm 16 Apr 12

TheGingerNinja 8:40 pm 16 Apr 12

XO_VSOP said :

TheGingerNinja said :

I did mean Sage, I didn’t know if it would be appropriate to use the name as i didn’t want to appear biased when i generally trashed the whole of canberra when it came to food in so many words, I do enjoy delissio in braddon but its slipping lately, dzire and sfoglia in dickson are quite decent also![/.
Haha those three would be no where near the top of anything. Sage and dieci are currently one and two Italian and sons might also get a run in the top three! But don’t forget the region Grazing is doing some great things and using all there own produce. Le tres bon is also one to keep on the radar. That’s resturants covered. Cafes Ona Manuka doing good things and urban pantry.
I could go on I think you just don’t get out enough.

It just is personal taste i guess, le tres bon is the restaurant near jazz apple cafe? its not that I don’t get out enough, and i was basing sfoglia and dzire based on their coffee and their semi decent breakfasts! seems alot of the cafe’s can’t even poach an egg properly so when i get a decent poached egg and decent hollandaise i tend to rate higher!

Tried Mezzalira tonight, was well worth the $145, great service, great food, great knowledge, and apparently its the same owner as italian and sons!

Ben_Dover 8:33 pm 16 Apr 12

schmeah said :

My Rainbow Dreams in Dickson. Healthy and local, you just have to get past the slightly ‘cultish’ business model

I can’t even get past the bloody name of the place.

Spykler 8:23 pm 16 Apr 12

Postalgeek said :

I often visit TCH during meal time, and you can usually find untouched or unfinished meals. Their cold mash potato is to die for.

Try the leftover (read: rejected) warm lime jelly with the mystery dark hair sitting atop for decoration.

I-filed 7:40 pm 16 Apr 12

If you don’t fancy breaking the bank at Sage, I recommend Pulp Kitchen at the Ainslie shops. Mid price for a white-linen-tablecloth experience (main $30, dessert $14), good wine list, free parking, very friendly, background noise at conversation level (thanks to good sound baffles & things) great desserts, and perfectly timed service – enough time between courses for each one to settle.

DodgyBoys 7:31 pm 16 Apr 12

Brodburger. Although I understand you should order now and it should be ready on Friday evening.

Spykler 7:28 pm 16 Apr 12

Ben_Dover said :

For fine dining you cannot beat Hawker Chippy.

Agreed, and you don’t have to wait 90 minutes for one of their burgers.

el 7:23 pm 16 Apr 12

johnboy said :

One can only assume S is for Sage

“Silo”, surely…

XO_VSOP 7:06 pm 16 Apr 12

TheGingerNinja said :

I could go on I think you just don’t get out enough.

breda 7:00 pm 16 Apr 12

Lanterne Rooms, Campbell for fine dining.

Fekerte’s Ethiopian, Dickson for yummy, filling and not too pricey.

Italian & Sons, Braddon for desserts to die for.