Car rego blues

Felix the Cat 8 January 2012 54

So I received my car rego renewel in the mail the other day. Great, another bill, just what I need at this time of year. Being Christmas and having a few other bills needing paying around this time I find myself to be somewhat unfinancial so I decide to only purchase 6 months rego instead of 12 months and hopefully in 6 months time when it’s time to renew again I will be able to afford full freight.

Anyhow, I logged onto rego ACT website and duly paid the rego (quite a painless exercise apart from parting with the money!) but noticed they slug me an extra $25 for the priviledge of paying only for only 6 months rego. The full 12 month price for my small 4 cyl car is $796.50 (CTPI $526.60 + rego $269.90), the 6 month fee is supposed to be half this plus $25 (so $423.25) but they actually charged me $429.30 (NFI what the extra $6.05 is for – a “just because” fee I suspect).

It’s no wonder there are so many unregistered vehicles running around when people are penalised and charged extra fees just because they can’t afford to pay the full 12 months. The amount payable for 6 month rego should be exactly half, not half plus $25 plus $6.05. Adding all these fees for no reason – there is no reason, it doesn’t cost ACT govt any more to process 6 months rego than it does 12 months (except maybe an envelope and postage costs) – so why penalise people for it? Going off the govt logic why don’t they have 2 or even 3 years rego and make it even cheaper, or just go the whole hog and introduce lifetime rego and only charge $10?

You can understand to an extent that say food and drink costs comparitively more when buying in smaller quantities (eg a 375 can of Coke can cost nearly the same as 1.25lt bottle but that is Coke and the supermarkets profiteering…I digress…) but govt services shouldn’t IMO.

54 Responses to Car rego blues
1 2 3 Next »
screaming banshee screaming banshee 5:38 pm 08 Jan 12

Fee for service, simple as that.

Perhaps you would prefer if everything was free, the we could all have the same thing. We wouldn’t earn any money though as we wouldn’t need it. Whether you see that as some sort of Star Trek utopia or communism is up to you.

The Antichrist The Antichrist 5:21 pm 08 Jan 12

damien haas said :

why would they bother doing this ? Having the option to pay for less than 12 months is a great option for those that have more than 1 vehicle and where that vehicle is only used for 3 or 6 months ?

Forcing punters to pay 12 months in every case, is just going to result in more, not less, unregistered vehicles on our roads. Not something that the Liberal Party should be pushing for I would have thought ? The RAPID scheme has already made huge inroads into reducing the number of unregistered shitheaps off our roads……why reduce the effectiveness of this scheme ?

Felix – reducing those lareg annual rego fees is exactly what the 3 and 6 month options allow – even with that small admin fee tacked on top. This flexibility is a great option. I have no sympathy for punters who give themselves a large rego bill around Xmas, its ludicrous. 1 renewal for 6 months is all it takes to fix that problem…….

VicePope VicePope 5:06 pm 08 Jan 12

I have wondered for a long time why the rego/CTP system is set up around fixed amounts when clearly those who drive more use more of the services and incur more of the risks. (Whether or not they may be better drivers is less relevant than the fact that they will be on the road more).
Would it be smart/possible to have a modest registration charge reflecting what it costs to maintain the registration system and recover the rest of the money through a surcharge on every litre of fuel? The more fuel you use, the more you pay – it might even encourage people to move towards efficient vehicles. I’d guess someone smart knows why it wouldn’t work, even if introduced nationally. Please let me know.

KB1971 KB1971 4:48 pm 08 Jan 12

Felix, I am not trying to be a prick when I say this but be thankful that you can do this, I think the ACT is the only jurisdiction that allows you to pay rego for half the year.

Whoever said that the high cost is not the CTP needs to look around. I have a mate in NSW that pays $300 less than I do to keep a vehicle on the road each year. The NRMA are the only CTP provider and as such there is not competition as in NSW with the green slip system.

@Damien Haas – Are they going to abolish the ability to pay quarterly rego or the fee?

BenMac BenMac 4:22 pm 08 Jan 12

Felix the Cat said :

BenMac said :

Felix the Cat, you mustn’t have been on this site very long, cause you’re going to get zero sympathy from others.

Charging you more than half is an insentive for you to pay the for the whole year. Is this the first time you’ve paid rego?

Been a member here for several years, BenMac. I have a bit of an idea how things work here. Not wanting sympathy, just an intelligent discussion about the matter would do.

You’re whole first paragraph is a total whinge. +3 or 4 (whatever we’re up to) about budgeting next time.

Watson Watson 4:18 pm 08 Jan 12

By the same logic, people should be excused for robbing houses and stealing their plasma TVs because TVs are so darn expensive.

basketcase basketcase 3:58 pm 08 Jan 12

“If you pay your rego twice a year instead of once, they have to pay staff to process it twice as often…”

That’s codswallop. just goes into a computer and an extra buck for the postage and printing.

It simply a government policy to oppress those who are not wealthy. Other examples are:
1. Get the poor to pay for the solar panels bought by the rich.
2. Charge land rent to those who can’t afford to buy houses but have to rent instead.

I am sure there are others.

Since most of the decisions are made by people on $200K+ or more I guess, they would have zero idea of what it is like to wonder where your next two bob is coming from.

Even the ALP has deserted the needy. We will end up like the US where 1% or less of the population control 99% or more of the wealth.

End of rant

arb arb 3:57 pm 08 Jan 12

Felix the Cat said :

You really think a $25 fee is what is preventing most unregistered vehicle’s owners from paying their rego?

Wow…

+1 to everyone who’s suggested you budget in future – and if your budget includes an emergency fund then you won’t have issues paying any “unexpected bills” you get…

Henry82 Henry82 3:54 pm 08 Jan 12

arescarti42 said :

…have you contacted whatever the relevant authority is and asked them why you were charged an additional $6.05?.

+1, before you whinge about something, at least attempt to find out why

damien haas damien haas 3:45 pm 08 Jan 12

the liberals announced they planned to abolish this when (if) they come to office.

frankly i dont see it as an issue – the admin fee should be the same whether you pay three times or once. every transaction has the same cost.

the bigger con is the high cost of rego in the act. we have less accidents than other states so why the disparity? dont tell me its the insurance component either – i make one payment to the act gov.

i own a couple of cars and pay a big insurance whack – i dont see why i should subsidize those that dont. there needs to be a mechanism where people with insurance can opt out of the CTP component – making it CTPIFTTDITC (compulsory third party insurance for those that dont insure their cars).

any charge that exceeds actual costs (act gov admin and rego fee) is called a tax. we pay enough tax already.

Bane Bane 2:40 pm 08 Jan 12

“there is no reason, it doesn’t cost ACT govt any more to process 6 months rego than it does 12 months (except maybe an envelope and postage costs)”

GBT GBT 2:23 pm 08 Jan 12

Why not look at it as they are rewarding people for paying the full 12 months as opposed to penalising people for paying less than 12 months.

It’s exactly the same as companies that give you a discount if you pay your premiums at once instead of monthly, i.e. insurance, rates.

I for one would definitely prefer that the option is there to pay less than 12 months but without getting a discount. Other states don’t have that option.

Felix the Cat Felix the Cat 2:16 pm 08 Jan 12

BenMac said :

To recap my original post, as most seem have seem to have only skim read it, I was saying that you hear about the police having blitzes on unregistered vehicles with quite high numbers being caught and this number would likely decrease if the costs for registering vehicles were less.

I’ll happily register my car for 12 months, BiffLoman, once you transfer the funds for me to do so. Unfotunately I have had quite a few unexpected bills to pay recently that I hadn’t budgeted for so don’t have the money to do it myself.

SupaSal SupaSal 2:12 pm 08 Jan 12

We have 2 cars as me and Mr SupaSal work shift work, he is interstate and i’m 10 mins drive away – Dec 24 for one car and Jan 24 for the other both just under $1000 for Rego and CTPI, I know these bills are due then and money is there to pay for it even if it means Christmas has to be a bit late to pay for them – after all NO Car No Money

arescarti42 arescarti42 1:48 pm 08 Jan 12

I suspect the $6 difference is the privilege you pay for only buying 6 months CTP.

BenMac BenMac 1:36 pm 08 Jan 12

Rawhide Kid Part3 Rawhide Kid Part3 1:32 pm 08 Jan 12

Here’s an idea. Seeing that you know every year when your rego is due , why don’t you start a Christmas club account with your bank or credit union and divide the cost of rego and insurance by fifty two weeks and hey presto you have funds for rego every year.

JC JC 1:28 pm 08 Jan 12

The extra 6 comes from CTP, so thank the NRMA for that.

Anyway just want to say welcome to the real world, nothing is as simple as you seem to think.

BiffLoman BiffLoman 1:25 pm 08 Jan 12

I suspect the $6.05 is some sort of whinging tax. Sheesh. Pay the 12 months next time.

The Antichrist The Antichrist 1:19 pm 08 Jan 12

They slug you the full extra admin fee for 3 months rego as well – mabe they should cut that in half when you only pay for 3 months rego ?

Its not like rego renewal sort of creeps up on you like a surprise is it ? Is it the governments fault that you can’t budget properly for known bills ? Why does everyone want a free ride ?

Simple – budget for your rego renewal and try to time it so it doesn’t fall directly after Xmas. Yes this may cost you $25 for the privelege, but at least you will only have to pay it once. Put money away for known bills ( and you do know about it 12 months in advance) – and you won’t have to pay any admin fees ! yay 🙂

Personally – I am quite happy to pay a small surcharge for the flexibility of renewing rego for only 3 months in every 12. This works well for those of us with more than 1 vehicle but don’t require it all year round.

1 2 3 Next »