Catholic secondary school in Gungahlin?

nanzan 27 May 2009 74

Last night I attended an information night re the new Mother Teresa Catholic Primary School in Harrison.

It was mentioned that a site has also been reserved for a Catholic secondary school in Gungahlin, and I wondered if anyone knows where it actually is? Apparently, it was suggested, the site may not actually be used for a school and that another, more appropriate, site is currently being sought.

74 Responses to Catholic secondary school in Gungahlin?
Gungahlin Al Gungahlin Al 7:27 am 29 May 09

On schools:
We have been very happy with Harrison School to date, and the designs for the extension into years 7-10 look great. And no private school costs…

On Catholic in Gungahlin:
I haven’t specifically heard of this, but have sent an email to Andrew Barr asking him. Will advise.

BerraBoy68 BerraBoy68 6:41 am 29 May 09

deezagood said :

I agree; am losing sleep at night wondering where to send my kids. Radford is clearly the pick of the high schools, but you have to have your child’s name down from birth or you can forget it (unless you are Marcus Rudd). Narrabundah is apparently fantastic too, but only from year 11 up – and hard to get in to. So – where do I send them?

See my post at #28 deezagood – and forget Marist and Dara. My kids are still little so I have time to work out High schools etc. but when you make a choice I’d suggest you really take the time to get to know the staff, particularly the Head, of whatever school you choose. I almost forgot, St Francis Xavier seems to be pretty good if you’re on that side of town.

Granny Granny 11:48 pm 28 May 09

I actually think we have some fine schools here, and some fine young adults attending them.

I sit on a committee with one student representative, and I have been nothing but impressed with his contributions, his leadership, his care and concern for fellow students, his insights into the issues being discussed, and his general deportment.

Likewise I have the privilege of knowing many fine teachers and principals. Such generalisations are not evidence-based and can be discouraging and hurtful, and should be avoided I think.

I received my education in the ACT public school system and I am grateful for it.

deezagood deezagood 11:37 pm 28 May 09

MWF MWF 11:09 pm 28 May 09

Interesting read Granny.

It is really difficult to choose a high school or any school in Canberra. We nearly considered moving back to Sydney so our child could attend Fort Street – my partner is a Fortian and my child has passed the entrance exams for NSW selective schools. However child said “No way hose I’m not living in Sydney” and I agree. I don’t want to live in bloody stinky, Sydney again. However, when my partner was a child in Canberra, his family moved to Sydney so he could attend Fort Street – 30 or so years ago and the situation hasn’t changed!

The absence of any selective High Schools in the ACT bothers me. It is either the local public drug shop high school with fights filmed and put on youtube and bullying den or a religious choice.

The “colour code” crap in place of a uniform in the ACT public high schools bothers me. I saw three boys all aged about 11-12 years old being rude to and frightening elderly and other shoppers in a Canberra mall on a Friday at about 2.00pm. No way to identify them without uniforms, but I suppose if they were truly serious little thugs they would be smart enough to ditch any uniforms so they could continue their thuggery.

I suppose all we can do is cross our fingers and hope that our children have been parented well enough to keep away from violence and obvious teenage thugs and bullies that they will be safe in an ACT public high school. Though, I’m not holding my breath.

nanzan nanzan 11:07 pm 28 May 09

One more thing, as a Catholic, I would generally welcome an Islamic school – even here in Gungahlin! Remember, there is an Islamic school already, just up the road in Watson – in the same street, virtually, as the Catholic primary school and Australian Catholic University.

And, like Christian schools, Islamic schools come in many guises. There is not one Islam, but many. I would want to know more about what type of Islamic school was being proposed in my area…being supported by whom, what type of curriculum etc. But I would want to know this about any proposed school, not just because it was Islamic.

A good, caring, welcoming, nurturing, open-minded school – regardless of its stripes – is always going to be a good school, and should be welcome anywhere in our community.

nanzan nanzan 11:01 pm 28 May 09

Guys, talk about digression!

My original post was actually about where the land reserved for a Catholic secondary school in Gungahlin might be.

So, I take it, nobody knows?

Don’t get me wrong though, I have enjoyed many of the posts…. Sexual abuse, physical abuse, emotional abuse…these happen in many, probably most, school communities…not just Catholic ones. But people expect a different and higher standard in Catholic schools, and rightly so. As a Catholic, I certainly do.

Granny Granny 10:13 pm 28 May 09
Granny Granny 10:05 pm 28 May 09

Steiner was a theosophist initially, later developing his own system known as anthroposophy, which seems to have an occult, white magic kind of base from my reading on the internet.

I’ve known a couple of kids who’ve been through Orana. They seem to be highly intelligent and well-educated. Well-adjusted also. Their parents have been happy with the school – sometimes having to adjust to some of the quirks inherent in the philosophy.

MWF MWF 9:57 pm 28 May 09

BerraBoy68 said :

“Care for kids,
try to always be there for kids”..” Personally, I love it.

It’s important to care for kids.
Kids, with the stars in their eyes blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
KIDS!” (The blah’s are because I am too old to remember the lyrics ;)Found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tICZJX2l0s

Yeahbut, they didn’t really mean it the International Year of the Child. It was just to make them feel good. In 1979 they cared for kids. But when we grew up they didn’t really like us very much anymore: highest level of unemployment 17.5%, greed is good, the recession we had to have, HECS fees etc. And goody! Now we can work until we are 67 years old. Yay.

MWF MWF 9:49 pm 28 May 09

Re: Steiner School Orana

I was very excited when we moved to the ACT to have Steiner school available. My joy was short-lived. Things may well have changed since 2001, so take this as just my experience. I made some phone calls about taking my toddler and baby to the Steiner playgroup. I was told that before I would be accepted to their playgroup, I had to attend a “coffee morning” with the other parents and would then be told if I could attend the Steiner playgroup with my children or not. From what I recall, I was also told that I couldn’t bring the baby with my toddler to the playgroup – that made it really difficult. Where do you put a completely breastfed baby who is not allowed to attend a playgroup with their sibling when you want a Steiner philosophy for all your children? Daycare? It didn’t quite fit.

I decided not, for myself and my children as I didn’t believe that such an elitist/judgmental approach to parents and small children was appropriate. It sounded much too “sorority” like for me. It was probably just the witch I spoke to on the phone having a bad day, however it put me off completely. JME.

BerraBoy68 BerraBoy68 9:45 pm 28 May 09

MWF said :

We are the world
We are the children
We are the ones that make a brighter day
So lets start giving

LMFAO!

I remember that stupid song. There is another song that gets my goat. I was a child in 1979, the International Year of the Child and they had some stupid song about it. Was it that one ^^^? I forget what it is until I hear it and then I get all outraged and cranky.

“Care for kids,
try to always be there for kids”..” Personally, I love it.

MWF MWF 9:34 pm 28 May 09

vg said :

ant said :

One day we shall witness a miracle, where vg makes his/her point without having to abuse another contributor while making it.

All together now

We are the world
We are the children
We are the ones that make a brighter day
So lets start giving

LMFAO!

BerraBoy68 BerraBoy68 9:17 pm 28 May 09

deezagood said :

I’m pretty surprised by this Berraboy – I really didn’t think that you would send your kids to a Catholic school … in fact some of the previous threads (and comments by you)on here actually made me rethink my initial decision to send my own kids to Catholic school (not the only reason of course, but contributed in a small way to my ultimate decision to send my kids to the local public school). Wow.

Depends on the school and those running it, Deezagood. My kids go to a catholic primary school where there is not a religious order, or person, in sight. All staff are non-clerical and I have taken the time to get to know them. I spend a lot of time there and believe the staff to be good people. Furthermore, all staff at the school, including the Head, know my involvement in the Marist/Dara issue and their support for the victims is, to be honest, quite overwhelming. I have also told key staff at the school how insidious the issue is so, in a weird way, I think my involvement may have given my kids added protection. That said, what I would not do, nor would I advise anybody else do, is send their kids to a school where Priests or Brothers are in charge of students or the school in any way, shape of form. My reason is this: A couple of months ago, I was invited to meet with the Head of the Marist Brothers in Australia together with their Professional Standards Officer, another Brother on the Marist issue.

Their comments at this meeting, and in particular their downplaying of serious sexual abuse by Kostka, I found simply appalling. At one stage I was so angry and upset I had to call a break in the meeting to compose myself. The reason is that they described the abuse of one boy by Kostka as ‘just a hug, nothing serious, just a hug, all very minor stuff’ (I have witnesses to this). What they didn’t know is that I happen to know the boy they were talking about and what happened to him could never, ever be described as anything other than serious sexual abuse. Their writing this specific event off as ‘just a hug’ leads me to seriously advise anybody that will listen not to send their kids to a school anywhere near such an Order. Why? Despite all that has happened and is happening, they just don’t get it. And I won’t subject my kids to that crap.

bigfeet bigfeet 8:49 pm 28 May 09

fabforty said :

I assume then that there would be no objections to an Islamic school in Gungahlin.

I would certainly object to an Islamic School in my street. But then again, I would object if they re-zoned the land and allowed any school in my street, Catholic, Public, Sikh or whatever.

But as to any type of school opening in an appropriate area of my suburb, well as long as it is following the standard Territory curriculum (I assume there is one?) then go for it.

deezagood deezagood 8:40 pm 28 May 09

fabforty said :

Doubtful – this is Canberra, there are always plenty of objections to everything.

fabforty fabforty 7:47 pm 28 May 09

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 4:11 pm 28 May 09

Katietonia said :

Another sanctuary for the pedophiles. Most of the guys I know that were in school with Brother Kostka, also do not follow the Catholic faith any longer. 😉

I only ever went to Catholic schools, including my secondary years at a co-ed boarding school.

I don’t follow the Catholic faith either, but that has nothing to do with the reasons you are implying.

This might come as a surprise to you, but not all Catholics are kiddy fiddlers.

Jim Jones Jim Jones 2:47 pm 28 May 09

In a perfect world, there’d be a Church of Satan High (based on the philosophy of Anton la Vey). The uniform would be friggin’ cool: black and red with the sigil of Baphomet prominently displayed.

Jim Jones Jim Jones 2:41 pm 28 May 09

Thanks guys – much appreciated. I’ll check it out.