Catholic secondary school in Gungahlin?

nanzan 27 May 2009 74

Last night I attended an information night re the new Mother Teresa Catholic Primary School in Harrison.

It was mentioned that a site has also been reserved for a Catholic secondary school in Gungahlin, and I wondered if anyone knows where it actually is? Apparently, it was suggested, the site may not actually be used for a school and that another, more appropriate, site is currently being sought.

74 Responses to Catholic secondary school in Gungahlin?
Kods Kods 2:15 pm 29 May 09

Public education works.

Jim Jones Jim Jones 2:05 pm 29 May 09

chewy14 said :

Jim Jones said :

chewy14 said :

Then again Jim I never found the culture and environment of University to be anything like the real world either.

What does that have to do with anything?

I’m saying that preparing kids for University learning is not the only job of a high school/college.

I never said that it was.

chewy14 chewy14 12:34 pm 29 May 09

Jim Jones said :

chewy14 said :

What does that have to do with anything?

deezagood deezagood 12:13 pm 29 May 09

Gosh – that sure is food for thought Jim – thanks for taking the time to post that information. We probably couldn’t get in there anyway, but it is good to hear counterviews (and as you said, things could be markedly different under the leadership of a different principle). I think we’ll trawl the open days and information evenings of a variety of schools over the next years or two and see which schools seem to fit best with our family, children and their learning/social requirements. It is very stressful trying to choose the right school and i really want to get it right the first time, as changing schools can be very upsetting for teenagers.

Whatsup Whatsup 12:06 pm 29 May 09

there is much more to a school than their UAI thingy!

This is so true. In Melbourne at some colleges it was common for students that were not going to contribute to a high score at the end of the year to be asked to leave. This resulted in some elite schools being able to maintain their bragging rights. Friends of mine completed and passed their Year 12 with reasonable scores and got the Uni places they wanted elsewhere. It was disruptive to them academically and socially for them to change schools for “cosmetic” reasons.

Jim Jones Jim Jones 11:59 am 29 May 09

chewy14 said :

What does that have to do with anything?

chewy14 chewy14 11:55 am 29 May 09

Jim Jones Jim Jones 11:50 am 29 May 09

deezagood said :

Jim Jones said :

deezagood said :

Radford is clearly the pick of the high schools

Oh, but how wrong you are.

Words cannot express my contempt for that place.

You need to tell me more Jim …. I have only ever heard excellent reports from current and past kids and their folks….

I should preface this with a disclaimer: I can only speak for my experience and the people I went through Radford with. I have heard that the place was particularly crap during the tenure of a particular principal (who I understood was paid out before the end of his tenure and shipped back to where he’d come from). It’s entirely possible that my experience is an anomaly.

That said, I attended the joint during high school and left for a public college after a having a truly hideous time there.

There was the usual bullying and student harassment as in any school, the same issues with drugs and drinking and the rest (and here the place really isn’t that different from any other school, really – and I’m amazed that people still do claim that it is).

What stuck in my craw was that the school was more interested in keeping up appearances and ensuring that everything looked hunky dory than providing an environment conducive to learning: the constant pressure from within the staff and the institutional culture to conform (the bad type of conformity, whereby everyone is expected to unthinkingly accept what you they are told without exercising independent thought or judgment).

I don’t want to prejudice anybody or do any damage by going into specific instances of this, but suffice it to say I left as soon as I had a chance. I went to a public college, had an absolute ball, rediscovered my love of learning (as opposed to being spoon fed information without the excitement of intellectual discovery) and went on to postgrad studies and teaching at University.

Most people I encountered who had stayed at Radford through years 11 and 12 and then went to University seemed to flunk out. The culture of the place (where students were constantly being told what to do and spoonfed the learning experience) saw their students remarkably unfit to deal with University: an environment in which you either use self-motivation and self-discipline rather than being spoon fed.

Gungahlin Al Gungahlin Al 11:45 am 29 May 09

peterh said :

Gungahlin Al said :

On schools:
We have been very happy with Harrison School to date, and the designs for the extension into years 7-10 look great. And no private school costs…

On Catholic in Gungahlin:
I haven’t specifically heard of this, but have sent an email to Andrew Barr asking him. Will advise.

al,

what is the feeder for harrison? will franklin residents be able to take their kids there?

Franklin and Harrison – it is right in the middle between the two. Not sure about Gungahlin, but assume so as it doesn’t have another school that close.

chewy14 chewy14 11:41 am 29 May 09

deezagood said :

peterh said :

What about trinity christian school? how do they rate for a private school?

We are looking at Trinity too Peter, but they are very, very religious (like full-on religious) which scares me off a bit. Also, I had a look at all of the school UAIs (is is UAI? maybe UAS? university admission thing score anyway) for 2008 and Trinity was not so great – although obviously there is much more to a school than their UAI thingy! Purely from an academic results perspective, from memory it went Narrabundah, Radford, Boy’s Grammar, Marist, that Catholic Girl’s school near Ainslie (name escapes me), Girl’s Grammar and I can’t remember the rest. I can’t find any results for junior high school though and this is what I am struggling to decide. I haven’t discounted Trinity (their fee structure is weird though – based on a % of your income, so the richer folks pay a lot more than the less-wealthy folks … seems egalitarian in one way but very odd and a bit unfair in other ways:-)

Deeza,
i definitely wouldn’t base your decision on the UAI scores of a school.
It is not necessarily a measure of academic achievement.

deezagood deezagood 11:28 am 29 May 09

Three post nutbag – I would be keen to hear any parent or student feedback on Deakin High School too …

deezagood deezagood 11:27 am 29 May 09

peterh said :

What about trinity christian school? how do they rate for a private school?

deezagood deezagood 11:20 am 29 May 09

Jim Jones said :

deezagood said :

Radford is clearly the pick of the high schools

Oh, but how wrong you are.

Words cannot express my contempt for that place.

VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy 10:42 am 29 May 09

Most Christian schools in Canberra are not run by religious orders, but are simply schools set up and sponsored by church organisations. They typically have chaplains, and have a religion based subject.

Based on the experiences of others, these places seem much, much better than the public high school I went to.

Granny Granny 10:34 am 29 May 09

I know several of the Harrison staff to be very fine teachers and administrators from their time at my daughter’s school. The principal, in particular, is wonderful. They are doing terrific things at that school from what I can see.

peterh peterh 10:28 am 29 May 09

What about trinity christian school? how do they rate for a private school?

peterh peterh 10:23 am 29 May 09

Gungahlin Al said :

On schools:

On Catholic in Gungahlin:

al,

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 10:07 am 29 May 09

deezagood said :

I agree; am losing sleep at night wondering where to send my kids. Radford is clearly the pick of the high schools, but you have to have your child’s name down from birth or you can forget it…

Really? I have a friend that got her two kids in without too much bother. I’m fairly certain they weren’t on a waiting list for an extended period of time (I will check, though). They live on the other side of town as well.

Jim Jones Jim Jones 9:27 am 29 May 09

deezagood said :

Radford is clearly the pick of the high schools

Oh, but how wrong you are.

Words cannot express my contempt for that place.

shauno shauno 7:47 am 29 May 09

Fiona said :

more brainwashed children… yay.

Na they couldn’t brain wash me straight E’s for religion because I could not get their teachings into my head it was just fairy tale stuff. So here here I am now doing quiet well an haven’t been been molested lol. So anyway if you want to pretend to believe in fairy tales go for it but just remember kids a total rejection of fantasy is ok.