Cats in the drain

p1 20 September 2010 95

Cats in a drain

While going for a wander to catch some fresh air at lunch time, (and with a camera in my pocket wondering what new stencil art may have appeared), I came across these little fellows sunning themselves.

Now, this isn’t the first time I have seen these guys. I couple of weeks ago, I was wandering along the same path when I noticed a women in the canal acting a little strangely. It turned out she was placing some chicken pieces and a pile of dry cat food outside each of the drain entrances. As soon as she got a little distance away the little ferals would come out for a feed.

When I commented casually in passing (can’t remember what I said, something about her making the cats happy) she replied in a tone that made it appear as if she were performing a great community service, and that if she didn’t it would be terrible.

I can’t help but think that she is making the problem worse, although I guess there is the argument that if they are well fed they won’t eat the natives.

Tags

95 Responses to Cats in the drain
1 2 3 5 Next »
lobster lobster 2:09 pm 20 Sep 10

weeziepops said :

On the advice of the RSPCA, I contacted TAMS about some stray cats. I was hoping to get them trapped and desexed, then re-released in the area. As it is a very urban environment, I don’t think their hunting would pose huge problems if they are being fed by people. TAMS advised they would get back to me and haven’t.

I know cats are hunters and pose risks to native wildlife. If people would desex their cats and keep them indoors or in suitable cat enclosures, this wouldn’t be an issue. Until that happens, at least people feeding the strays might cut down (even a little bit) on their need to hunt.

The RSPCA advised you to capture and then release homeless cats into the wild?

p1 p1 1:43 pm 20 Sep 10

Is their a Feline birth control pill availible that we can slip into the food?

…and a human one to slip into the crazy cat ladies food.

KB1971 KB1971 1:35 pm 20 Sep 10

Oh god………..

So they can still go on killing rosellas, maggies, cokatoos, possums, geckos, skinks, blue tongues, christmas beetles & anything else that is a native animal that lives in the urban environment for the next, say 10 years????

Funky1 Funky1 1:34 pm 20 Sep 10

Ah, no amount of feeding will stop these cats from hunting native wildlife (if there is any left in the area).
Best thing for them and the environment is to have them caught and removed from the area for good.

weeziepops weeziepops 12:33 pm 20 Sep 10

carnardly carnardly 12:31 pm 20 Sep 10

Those cats have been there for years at Woden. Every night they raid the bins at Phillip College and the Hell Club for leftovers for dinner. They even wander over to the bus interchange bins. They will never become tame or pet standard as they’ve never become socialised. However, they don’t deserve to die either. I have been tempted to rent traps and get all of them speyed and let them go back there again. At least then the breeding cycle won’t continue.

And they’re all black or black and white.

davecdp davecdp 12:31 pm 20 Sep 10

what about the children, will someone think of the children!

oh were just talking about cats, whatever

KB1971 KB1971 12:23 pm 20 Sep 10

Pommy bastard said :

KB1971 said :

The last thing we need is more feral cats running around (although they can keep the pesky Minor Bird poulation at bey maybe….)

What about the major bird population?

🙂

Keijidosha Keijidosha 12:16 pm 20 Sep 10

Suddenly, draincats – hundreds of them!

davesact davesact 11:58 am 20 Sep 10

Feral/stray cats are a plague and are thought to be the biggest threat to birds and mammals in Australia. They are well adapted carnivores, can tolerate limited access to water and survive by eating small mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish and insects. They can effectively kill prey up to the size of a brush-tail possum.

Feral cats breed from the age of about one year and can breed in any season. They have up to two litters of about four kittens each year and as such are a multiplying problem. They also carry infectious diseases such as toxoplasmosis and sarcosporidiosis, which can be transmitted to native animals, domestic livestock and humans. If rabies was accidentally introduced into Australia it is more than likely that feral cats would act as carriers of the disease.

There are no pluses to a feral cat population in the “Bush Capital” and feeding those we do have is short sighted. The next feed these cats get should be inside a trap set by the RSPCA.

arescarti42 arescarti42 11:55 am 20 Sep 10

*awaits some anti cat comment from Captain RAAF*

pptvb pptvb 11:52 am 20 Sep 10

landcat said :

Drain cats are the most seedy of cats.

But tastiest!

colourful sydney racing identity colourful sydney racing identity 11:35 am 20 Sep 10

I think she should branch out and set up some incubators for locust eggs.

Pommy bastard Pommy bastard 11:35 am 20 Sep 10

KB1971 said :

What about the major bird population?

Skidbladnir Skidbladnir 11:34 am 20 Sep 10

Excess food now = a springtime excess resources to spend on breeding = more feral cats to eat more birds later.
(Or more cats to eat the same number of birds later on, letting some of the kittens die of starvation)

Way to go, crazy cat lady.

Pommy bastard Pommy bastard 11:34 am 20 Sep 10

Oh god, it sounds like my mother in law ..

braddonboy braddonboy 11:18 am 20 Sep 10

Yep, couldn’t agree more KB. And you don’t Have to go far (think Cotter area or Tharwa) to see wild pigs and moggies and hear the wild dogs howling.

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 11:14 am 20 Sep 10

ON NOES!!!~~11!1!!!! THEY IZ IN UR DRAINS STEALING UR RAYZ!

landcat landcat 11:04 am 20 Sep 10

Drain cats are the most seedy of cats.

KB1971 KB1971 10:55 am 20 Sep 10

She is doing a good & bad deed.

Yep, if the cat is full & happy then it will be less likely to hunt (although they still hunt for practice/pleasure).

But really these cats should be captured & euthanased as the feral animal probelm in our surrounding national parks & bushland is out of control.

I was up the Brindies yesterday riding my pushy & found wild dog droppings, deer hoof prints & sections on the side of the track that had been furrowwed by feral pigs.

Disclaimer: I am a RESPONSIBLE cat/dog owner.

1 2 3 5 Next »