Centrepoint comes back to life with the Landmark Cafe

johnboy 27 June 2012 109

landmark cafe

Last year we were concerned that City Walk’s Centrepoint build was increasingly vacant.

Well it seems to be coming back to life. The Landmark Cafe putting a big service frontage onto City Walk has some real potential.

I particularly like the way the interior plays with relics of bygone ages like penny farthing bicycles and The Canberra Times.

109 Responses to Centrepoint comes back to life with the Landmark Cafe
1 2 3 6 Next »
Canburnian 10:04 am 29 Jun 12

Terrible service.

No one there and I order my coffee, a few minutes later 2 other guys rock up, so she stops making mine to serve them, Another few minutes later she calls out their name and gives them the coffee. Then another few minutes calls Dave and then asks me if it’s my latte with sugar, then I explained what I ordered,

She then remakes my drink and blames the 2 guys for taking my drink. I had to remind her that she had called out to them and had given them the drinks.

Incompetence followed by lies.

Ronnie 2:07 pm 28 Jun 12

[quote comment="415367"]A small step in the right direction, but there are still a hell of a lot of shopfronts empty. How long has that old JB Hi-Fi been empty now, what, 3 or 4 years? Think of the missed rent that could have been received if they reduced their asking price, but instead the lessors refuse and they receive zero for years.[/quote]

Rainmaker, your statement is untrue. The premises remain under lease to JB Hi Fi.

Keijidosha 1:43 pm 28 Jun 12

An photo on this page shows the Woolworths variety store where the current ActewAGL shopfront is currently situated. The Woolworths grocery store was located where Centerpoint is now - directly opposite.

Probably explains the confusion!

EvanJames 1:15 pm 28 Jun 12

[quote comment="415471"]The BIg W type store was on the other side, the supermarket and the adjoining takeaway food section were in the Centrepoint location. I remember the donut machine too. :-)[/quote]

Spot on. For the others who don't know, the variety store was in the building attached to the Bailey Arcade, fronting the merry go round. The woolies supermarket was where this cafe and Centrepoint are now.

The variety store had a big open bin of up-market wrapped chocolates, you filled a basket and they weighed it. I think every schoolkid in Canberra got dared to try shoplifting them.

The supermarket was there with its wonderful doughnut machine, but the really good supermarket was Coles New World, inside the Monaro Mall (opposite Waltons). It was huge. It's hard to extrapolate positions now, everything's so changed in there, but kind-of where Lincraft is. Sort-of. ish.

Holden Caulfield 11:10 am 28 Jun 12

[quote comment="415419"]That signage is awful.

I refer to xkcd: "If you really hate someone, teach them to recognise bad kerning."

A kindred spirit!

Malteser 10:50 am 28 Jun 12

I wonder if the Cafe could put a bit of a boundary near the tables and chairs, maybe some pot plants/hedging type style? Right now it feels a bit like you are just plonked in the middle of a walkway (which I guess is technically true) with an outdoor setting from anywhere. Other than that, it's good to see a cafe along City Walk - hopefully also be open on the weekend.

farnarkler 6:43 pm 27 Jun 12

It was Woolworths on the merry-go-round side.

I-filed 6:30 pm 27 Jun 12

Any connection with the notorious Landmark cult? If so, steer clear.

I-filed 6:28 pm 27 Jun 12

Woolworths was on the other side - in the block that has Ted's camera store.

farnarkler 6:28 pm 27 Jun 12

Good luck to them but I can't help thinking it's like giving the Titanic a lick of paint two hours after it hit the iceberg.

GardeningGirl 5:32 pm 27 Jun 12

[quote comment="415357"]I noticed this on the weekend. It's a good site for a cafe, I wish them well. They could probably do with some competition in neighbouring shops to help get people back from the shiny new North quarter.[/quote]

[quote comment="415466"][quote comment="415402"]Does the interior have any relics to the bygone Woolworths, that used to be there? I used to love watching the doughnut machine in the window, plopping doughnuts into the hot oil.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure Woolworths was on the other side, where ACTEW now is.

Then again, it was a long time ago.[/quote]

dtc 5:14 pm 27 Jun 12

I'm pretty sure Woolworths was on the other side, where ACTEW now is.

Then again, it was a long time ago.

nsn 3:04 pm 27 Jun 12

That signage is awful.

XO_VSOP 2:43 pm 27 Jun 12

Its good to see see how they go! I am all for centre point revitalisation. Re JB Hi fi spot the building owners are still collecting rent from JB so probably the reason 10 year lease i think, rich get richer.

EvanJames 2:26 pm 27 Jun 12

jsm2090 1:43 pm 27 Jun 12

Is the Apple store still going into the space in the bottom of the old AGL House? That should certainly revitalise the precinct.

rainmaker 12:48 pm 27 Jun 12

poetix 12:35 pm 27 Jun 12

Q: When will he tire of Canberra Times criticisms?

A: When eagles lay truffles.

And how did I miss a free coffee?

Holden Caulfield 12:32 pm 27 Jun 12

ThatGuy 11:48 am 27 Jun 12

I like how they were handing out free coffees the other day.

1 2 3 6 Next »

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.