Lifestyle

One great brand after the next

Centrepoint comes back to life with the Landmark Cafe

johnboy 27 June 2012 109

landmark cafe

Last year we were concerned that City Walk’s Centrepoint build was increasingly vacant.

Well it seems to be coming back to life. The Landmark Cafe putting a big service frontage onto City Walk has some real potential.

I particularly like the way the interior plays with relics of bygone ages like penny farthing bicycles and The Canberra Times.

109 Responses to Centrepoint comes back to life with the Landmark Cafe
Mysteryman Mysteryman 10:10 am 14 Aug 12

Darkfalz said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

That’s fact, not opinion.

The irony of liberals and the way they think opinons work would be hilarious if it wasn’t also desperately sad and often times incendiary.

Telling me I am “100% anti-gay” and my thoughts are “pure bigotry” is the definition of pushing an opinon on me. So is referring to me as “ignorant” or a “religious nutter”.

If you have to resort to character attacks on the people who have opposing views to you, rather than promoting the mertis of your own beliefs, it’s a a pretty clear sign you’re losing the debate.

For me, it’s not a debate though. I have absolutely no problem with gay people trying to achieve as much be parity as they feel they need. I myself am in full support of civil unions. At the same time I’m not going to concede that I’m somehow a bad person because I believe marriage as currently defined is best for society and that kid deserve a mother and a father, and I’m not going to be shouted down or shamed out of expressing those beliefs when the subject comes up.

But thats the thing, im not pushing any opinions, im clearly stating facts.

No, you aren’t. You’re trying to pass off opinion as fact. You just don’t see that.

Jim Jones Jim Jones 9:56 am 14 Aug 12

Instant blacklist from me and everyone I talk to.

Lol @ the ‘I’m not a bigot, [proceed to launch into a stack of tired, discredited bigoted talking points: kids need a mother and father, marriage is of the church, you’re being bigoted against me for being bigoted, etc.]’

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 9:45 am 14 Aug 12

Darkfalz said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

That’s fact, not opinion.

But thats the thing, im not pushing any opinions, im clearly stating facts.

Starrie Starrie 9:37 am 14 Aug 12

1337Hax0r said :

I went to the rally with my son. I sat down to watch the rally and saw the whole thing. The staff of the Landmark Cafe started to turn their music up as one of the speakers started their speech. I went into the cafe at this point to buy a coffee but like other people, I was told to “Go Away” and “We don’t want your business” by a young male staff member. I elected to leave. While I am not gay, my son is, and I have no interest in giving my money to anyone who is going to harass him.
The speaker at the rally mentioned that the music at Landmark seemed to get louder when people spoke, and that he’d faced discrimination like that all his life. At that point the staff at Landmark turned the music up to an industrial level. The staff there later turned it down,but continued to abuse people, and refused to sell to anyone they thought were associated with the rally. I heard them again tell people “We don’t want your business.”
When the young speaker finished his speech, he gave a one figured salute towards the Landmark cafe. One of the staff members there ran out and engaged in a heated discussion with the youth. Afterwards, as the really seemed to be ending, some one went into the cafe and said in a raised voice something like “How dare you call my friend…” At this point, the man who I am pretty sure was the cafe owner leaped over the counter and started to assault that person. So much for Real Heros Walk Away. People dragged the combatants apart. It was quite shocking to see, even for an old fart for me who grew up in Brixton in my youth.
Needless to say, I was disgusted at the behavior of the cafe staff. It was deliberately antagonistic, offensive and uncalled for. They won’t be getting any of my business, my son’s business,or the business of our friends and associates.

So make a complaint (along with your son and anyone else who was turned away) to the ACT Human Rights Commission. Sexual orientation is a protected status and they can’t refuse service based on that.

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 6:48 am 14 Aug 12

Honestly, what sort of moron thinks they can get away with this type of behaviour in this day and age?

I hope your small business suffers greatly. I will do my part to lose you as many customers as possible.

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 6:46 am 14 Aug 12

1337Hax0r said :

Disgusting.

Blacklisted.

Darkfalz Darkfalz 12:32 am 14 Aug 12

Masquara said :

As many of us (and NOT homophobic) who weren’t there will have thought – fault on both sides.

Unnecessary on both sides. If you were running a business, someone started to make a scene outside of it, implicated you in their speech, and ended it by sticking their finger up at you, all about an issue that has nothing to do with you or your business, you’d probably be pissed off too.

The proper thing to do however would be to call the police and let them move the rabble on.

All the people shouting “boycott” without knowing the facts though, you’re a bit special.

Darkfalz Darkfalz 12:08 am 14 Aug 12

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

That’s fact, not opinion.

Micfromlandmark Micfromlandmark 11:40 pm 13 Aug 12

Masquara said :

1337Hax0r said :

Masquara Masquara 10:39 pm 13 Aug 12

1337Hax0r said :

HenryBG HenryBG 10:22 pm 13 Aug 12

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

You are free to have opinions and beliefs, but when you start trying to push them on others is when it’s unacceptable. Being against gay marriage is 100% anti gay. It’s discrimination and pure bigotry.
That’s fact, not opinion.

Utter crap. Marriage means something. Some people want to change that. Some people don’t want to change it. One of these two groups is engaged in dishonest and bullying behaviour to get its way. End of story.

1337Hax0r 1337Hax0r 10:03 pm 13 Aug 12

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 8:50 pm 13 Aug 12

Darkfalz said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

You do not seem to know what bigot means, infact you appear to be some religious nutter with zero concept of equality and who wishes to push their own ignorance ontop others and who thinks their own views/opinions are more important than facts.

I’m not religious at all, but the fact you used the term “religious nutter” speaks volumes about you and your intolerance for people’s beliefs. Gay marriage proponents like to point out bits of the bible about marrying your rapist and what not as an argument against people using the one man and one woman argument from the bible. That’s like saying the fact god apparently helped the Jews rape and pillage cancels out the commandments about murder and adultery. Like any religion, people will generally take the things that appeal to their own moral compass and ignore the things that don’t.

My problem is equating being against gay marriage with being “anti-gay”. Despite the false argument people like yourself and Woody try so hard to make, it is not the same thing. Just because you can’t do something you want it does not mean you’re being “discriminated” against. We have laws and standards for a reason, there’s a balancing act between freedoms and what is acceptable and appropriate for greater society. People have a right to have an opinion on and disagree about where that falls, and should be able to do so without having to fend off accusations of being “hateful” – particularly when you are merely agreeing with what is currently the law and public policy.

That’s fact, not opinion.

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 8:38 pm 13 Aug 12

Darkfalz said :

Flossie said :

Canberra times covers the bigotry, oh I mean incident.

Whoa, that crimes article says it was the cafe owner being the moron homophobe?

I really hope that’s not the case and they better come on here real soon to explain.

I didn’t glean that from it, but there was a definite spin in the article. There’s no indication who started the altercation at the cafe, but judging from the bias in the article it not being mentioned means it was most likely one of the protesters. They’re generally too hot headed to be rational and go around looking for an argument.

It comes down to those protesters right to protest in a public place, and the cafe owner’s right to have a welcoming environment in which to conduct his business.

You have a source to any of that?

Darkfalz Darkfalz 8:37 pm 13 Aug 12

Darkfalz Darkfalz 8:22 pm 13 Aug 12

Flossie said :

Canberra times covers the bigotry, oh I mean incident.

Whoa, that crimes article says it was the cafe owner being the moron homophobe?

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 2:40 pm 13 Aug 12

Holden Caulfield said :

I noticed this on the weekend. It’s a good site for a cafe, I wish them well…

Withdrawn.

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 2:39 pm 13 Aug 12

Woody Mann-Caruso said :

Honestly I am sick of the euphemistically termed “marriage equality” brigade and all their shout down, you’re a bigot if you don’t agree with me heavy handed crap

If you discriminate against people because of their sexual preferences, you’re a bigot.

Attempting to cast your bigotry as mere disagreement is a common tactic among bigots – see, for example, the classic ‘I’m not a racist, but’. It’s just saying ‘but’. We just ‘disagree’. It’s not hatred when I want to deny a person equality under the law because of who they are. I don’t hate them. I just want to be able to tell them what to do – including what they can say, where and when they can say it – in a way I’d never allow them to do to me.

I mean, you certainly don’t deserve a label like ‘bigot’ just for having the same sort of disagreement people have about, say, whether to have a fish taco for lunch, or a hot dog, with its long, rubbery meat nestled among two pillowy soft but springy buns. (I’m guessing you think it’s OK to have a hot dog – like the ones at Costco, that squirt hot juice in your mouth as you bite into them – as long as one of the people also has a fish taco. Under no circumstances can their be hot-dogging among two people with hot dogs only. Their hot dogs might touch, and the collapse of civilisation couldn’t be far away. Two fish tacos? Maybe, if both diners think that it’s unseasonably warm, and you get to watch.)

PS: Bigot.

Winning.

Madman Madman 1:42 pm 13 Aug 12

Stevian said :

Madman said :

I haven’t been there yet but after hearing this it will be blacklisted. Better coffee and service a couple of metres down at Deja Brew anyhow….

If you haven’t been there how are you qualified to make any comment on the qualilty of their product and service.

I didn’t make a comment on the quality of their product – I made a comment on the quality of their service. Good coffee is not just about the taste of the coffee, it’s the atmoshpere and the service you receive with it.

Muttsybignuts Muttsybignuts 1:14 pm 13 Aug 12

Woody Mann-Caruso said :

PS: Bigot.

Best laugh Ive had all day. I only wish the fish taco diners were eating in bed, or at least with a couple of pillows handy.

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.