Cheap parking in Civic during weekdays?

jambamafi 19 March 2015 32
ask-riotact-default

I’m hoping the RA brains trust will be able to help me out here…

Where are the best (by this I mean cheapest) places to park Monday to Friday in/around the city? I’m not averse to a bit of a walk each way if it means saving a few thousand a year!

Alternatively, does anyone have experience parking somewhere relatively safe in inner city suburbs and catching the bus for the final part of the trip? I will be travelling from Jerrabomberra if that helps.

I recognise this question has been asked a few times already, but was unable to find anything recent (particularly after the introduction of PP in the Parliamentary Triangle last year).

32 Responses to Cheap parking in Civic during weekdays?
gazket gazket 9:51 pm 16 Mar 15

Do what the Belconnen Public service do since ACT Labor sold all the carparks in Belco and started payed parking.
Park at the Jammo shopping centre for free all day so the senior citizens who frequent Jamisson Plaza can’t get a park and spend their money.

Sandman Sandman 8:23 pm 16 Mar 15

Motorbikes park for free. Pays for itself in the first year.

Of course, you could park in suburban inner north side streets. Be careful though. It’s hard to tell from looking at the house but I have a forklift hiding in my garage that will deal with a regular all day parker.

Raging Tempest Raging Tempest 12:54 pm 16 Mar 15

You could park and ride (Action) from Fyshwick. Its a no-permit P&R car park on Tom Price St.

Dame Canberra Dame Canberra 11:09 am 16 Mar 15

Have you tried Parkhound? I have friends who use the app for all-day parking in the city and Braddon and it’s generally much cheaper than regular car parking. You’re also guaranteed a parking spot, as it’s in someone’s driveway or garage.

tooltime tooltime 10:56 am 16 Mar 15

carnardly said :
switch said :
carnardly said :
park in any suburban street in yarralumla/deakin and jump on a pushy to do the rest.
A lot of streets there now have “You can’t park here” signs…
north curtin oval area is less than 8 kms away from the city. Weston park is about 6.5 and Meuller Street in Yarralumla is about 6. there are plenty of places to look. None of those locations have paid parking and that was with 20 seconds worth of thought.
“None of those locations have paid parking”

“”They will if they get abused by people parking there all day, every weekday. Then everyone will be disadvantaged.””

This is like telling someone your favourite fishing spot. Why would you give that away for free?

Maya123 Maya123 6:04 pm 15 Mar 15

carnardly said :

switch said :

carnardly said :

A lot of streets there now have “You can’t park here” signs…

“None of those locations have paid parking”

carnardly carnardly 4:37 pm 15 Mar 15

switch said :

carnardly said :

A lot of streets there now have “You can’t park here” signs…

switch switch 10:05 am 15 Mar 15

carnardly said :

A lot of streets there now have “You can’t park here” signs…

wildturkeycanoe wildturkeycanoe 6:41 am 15 Mar 15

David M said :

Yep, still $11 for rooftop in either of the two Canberra Centre car parks, Target or the other one, just across the way. Not sure about day-long parking in the new CC car parks, I think they just go by the hour

Yes, all day is over $30, so why was I charged $18 then? By the hour [even though I was on the roof] it should have been around the $30 mark but my rooftop fee was over-cooked. Too late to complain now…

carnardly carnardly 9:33 pm 14 Mar 15

David M David M 12:15 pm 14 Mar 15

wildturkeycanoe wildturkeycanoe 9:29 am 14 Mar 15

Are you sure rooftop in Canberra Centre is $11? Last time we went there [ICC World Cup SA vs IRE], they charged me $18 and then I found out the bottom gate was open anyway. What a rip off.

Nudist Nudist 8:23 am 14 Mar 15

Check out some of the streets in AinslIe close to Limestone Avenue and near to Ainslie Avenue. Unless things have changed there also free parking on the other side of Anzac Parade. Both are about a 13 to 15 minute walk from Civic. To get this free parking your need to arrive sometime before 8 AM in the morning if you arrive after this time you may not get it

agent_clone agent_clone 9:22 pm 13 Mar 15

If your inclined for a bit of a walk looking off parkopedia (http://au.parkopedia.com/free/canberra/parking/) I think the cheapest is probably off commonwealth avenue near the lake (i.e. floriade parking area).
Otherwise what I was thinking about doing when living in Jerra was the parking at DFO then catching the bus in

tim_c in regards to the buses from Jerra the cost of the bus is a bit more expensive than the cost of parking (it was either $13 or $14 return from memory and I wasn’t sure if from Jerra more needed to be added on top, I never caught the bus here). The buses also don’t run on Sunday and I think the last one from civic was at 6:30 but I could be wrong about that.

Genie Genie 2:55 pm 13 Mar 15

Park for free undercover at the DFO, catch the 200 into the city.

Maya123 Maya123 2:09 pm 13 Mar 15

tim_c said :

I don’t know what the buses are like from Jerrabomberra, but most places in Canberra there are direct services to City. If I worked in the City I’d be on the bus more often than in my car.

ACTION doesn’t go to Jerrabomberra, because that’s in NSW. That’s a major reason I would not have bought a house here; lack of public transport. I have only ever bought houses with convenient public transport.

Grail Grail 1:47 pm 13 Mar 15

From Jerrabomberra, drive to Fyshwick. Catch the bus from there.

Other alternatives include parking in Narrabundah, Kingston, Phillip, Mawson, etc. Catch the bus to Civic.

tim_c tim_c 1:12 pm 13 Mar 15

Rollersk8r Rollersk8r 10:52 am 13 Mar 15

Depends where you work in Civic. $11 for all day in the Canberra Centre carparks is reasonable value, although don’t get me started on the forever-broken ticket machines and boom gates etc…

I know people used to park on the far side of Anzac Pde and walk in – but I think they’ve stopped that?

Region Group Pty Ltd