Cheyne’s signs ‘absolutely trashed’ on Southern Cross Drive

Charlotte 13 September 2016 54

Tara Cheyne sign broken

Labor candidate for Ginninderra Tara Cheyne has discovered several of her corflutes (the campaign signs lining the roads around town) have been destroyed.

Ms Cheyne has posted a photograph and video of the mess on her @in_the_taratory Twitter account.

“The nasty side of campaigning. Yep, that’s my sign cut – CUT – in half,” she wrote at around 9pm last night.

In the video, shot on Southern Cross Drive, she again referred to the nasty side of the hustings, “where signs don’t only get knocked over or disappear, but absolutely trashed”.

“This is pretty sad, signs are a lot of money, a lot of time and a lot of effort on behalf of my whole campaign team,” Ms Cheyne said.

“Very, very disappointing.”

54 Responses to Cheyne’s signs ‘absolutely trashed’ on Southern Cross Drive
1 2 3 Next »
in_the_taratory in_the_taratory 9:36 am 15 Sep 16

devils_advocate said :

in_the_taratory said :

Well, I guess now you have.

As someone standing for election in Ginninderra, you are asking to represent voters living west of Bruce, out to Macgregor but not including suburbs bounded by the lower border of Kaleen, Lawson, McKellar and Evatt.

My question for you, then, as someone asking to represent those people, what is your view of the proposed tramline?

You know your boundaries! 🙂

I support light rail. You use the word ‘tramline’ but light rail is a plan for the whole city, with Stage 1 Gungahlin-City and Stage 2 City-Woden and more stages to come. Our population is expected to hit 500,000 by 2030. To me, we need to plan for the future now and not wait years when solving the problem will be more costly and more difficult.

Some people have said to me that light rail doesn’t directly benefit them living in Ginninderra or they won’t be riding it for a few years and that’s why they don’t support the policy. To me, that’s like saying that because they haven’t used the hospital or a major road in Canberra they don’t support their existence.

While those of us living in Ginninderra might not find ourselves riding light rail immediately, there are benefits to us because what we’re pursuing is an *integrated* public transport solution. It’s not light rail OR cars OR buses OR ride sharing OR car sharing OR electric buses OR active travel. We can do it all.

Here’s an example. We currently have a lot of buses servicing the Gungahlin-City route – equating to 1.2 million bus kilometres a year. Putting light rail down the middle of Northbourne frees up the lanes that the many buses are using, easing congestion and making it easier for cars and bikes to travel down those routes. And those 1.2 million bus kilometres don’t disappear – they’re reallocated to other areas around the city, like Belconnen routes.

in_the_taratory in_the_taratory 9:10 am 15 Sep 16

Bonkers said :

I really don’t understand the signs other than a public eyesore. Seeing a pollies mug shot the side of the road doesn’t make me suddenly think “Oh, well I’ll vote for them then!”.

I find the mailbox drops much more influential. And of these, I’m more influenced by positive sentiment (eg “This is what we will do if elected”) vs scare campaigns (“Well if you vote for them they’re going to do [insert unspeakable things here]”).

So Tara? I’m sorry some of your signs were destroyed. I’m not necessarily in agreement with your political stance, but I’m a regular reader of your blog and think you’re a decent person. So on the up side (at least for me), your signs haven’t influenced how I’m going to vote, and so the destruction of them doesn’t either.

PS Moulis, put on a shirt.

Sure, the signs might not influence a vote. But they might remind you that I’m a candidate, or if you’ve spotted me down at the shops and wondered why you might think, ‘Ah, that’s what she’s doing, she’s a candidate’. As I said the other day, signs are a really small part of the broader campaign of knocking on doors, calling people, writing blog posts (see taracheyne.com.au), being active on as much social media as possible, having shopping centre stalls and delivering material. I’ve taken months of leave to campaign full time because I’m serious about this. But there is just one of me and thousands of voters and so we have to try to reach everyone in a range of different ways.

The broader Twitter context is that I’ve been regularly documenting my campaign there over the last year. Good days, bad days, the things that make your heart sing etc – I thought a few people might be interested to know what it’s like to be, and what goes into being, a candidate. Two tweets about a handful of broken signs are part of hundreds of tweets documenting the campaign. RiotACT chose to do a story on those two. That’s their prerogative. *shrugs* I was simply continuing to document my campaign and I’ll continue to do that.

Bonkers Bonkers 10:48 pm 14 Sep 16

PS Moulis, put on a shirt.

devils_advocate devils_advocate 3:50 pm 14 Sep 16

in_the_taratory said :

Well, I guess now you have.

Mysteryman Mysteryman 1:59 pm 14 Sep 16

JC said :

rommeldog56 said :

jett18 said :

What’s very disappointing is that our local pollies are more willing to put money into this kind of campaigning then getting out into the community and talking about the issues that affect their constituents AND THEN acting on those concerns rather than towing the party line.

+1.

Very, very, very, very disappointed no doubt…

Puts being “very, very disappointed” over a few election signs into cotext really. Its nothing and not worth reporting.

And how are the Libs going to be any different?

Right on cue with an attempt divert attention away from Labor’s many follies. When your party’s only defense is “well the other guys might be worse!”, you’re in trouble. At this stage, I think much of Canberra is ready to take a chance on the other guys, because they couldn’t be any worse.

And in answer to your question, the Libs would do away with the dodgy union dealings for a start. That’s already a significant improvement on the current government.

in_the_taratory in_the_taratory 1:05 pm 14 Sep 16

jett18 said :

Like most candidates I’ve never heard of you before.

Well, I guess now you have.

in_the_taratory in_the_taratory 12:59 pm 14 Sep 16

TuggLife said :

in_the_taratory said :

jett18 said :

Thanks for your comment. Since March I’ve been out with shopping centre stalls, writing newsletters, personally responding to the emails I receive, phoning people and going door to door. For the last 6 weeks I have been full time campaigning (and this continues until the election) for the exact purpose of wanting to have as many conversations as possible so that I can be the best representative I can be if I am elected. I am lucky enough to have had thousands of conversations. Signs are a very small part of campaigning – people can’t talk to a sign, but they do raise awareness and can be conversation starters so they are important. And, yes, I *am* disappointed for my volunteers who give up their time to help design, put together and distribute these signs – they are bloody hard workers and it’s frustrating to have their work destroyed.

Tara, perhaps some of your colleagues could pop down the shops to chat with some of us at non-election times, too? And then perhaps act on that feedback?

Twitter as a medium attracts hyperbole. There is no ‘mildly disappointed’ on Twitter, just outrage.

You can read about the kind of MLA I want to be here: http://taracheyne.com.au/statement-to-the-canberra-alliance-for-participatory-democracy/

in_the_taratory in_the_taratory 12:56 pm 14 Sep 16

wildturkeycanoe said :

“If people have problem with the signs, I’d rather they get in touch with me than do something like this.”
Like any politician is going to listen to a member of the community, especially over a bunch of signs. The community doesn’t want them, but no party is going to remove their signs and lose all that free advertising. I wonder how much taxpayers have paid to have these eyesores spread across the state. They really serve no purpose, because the signs are not informative, missing anything even closely related to policies . The only thing some of them do is put a face to a name, but most don’t even do that. We will all find out on election day who is who in the party game, but by then I’d say most have made informative decisions through watching the news or maybe by reading one of the how to vote guides popped into their mailbox.
Nobody is going to change their voting habit because they like the colour of a sign, a clever pun or witty slogan. These advertising attempts are not even in the same league as the Canturf ads.

I explained in my comment at 4.36pm yesterday some of the reasons we use signs. My signs have been paid for by me and donations I’ve received from family, friends and supporters. Not taxpayers. If there is a genuine issue with the position of one of my signs, I will move it.

in_the_taratory in_the_taratory 12:54 pm 14 Sep 16

justin heywood said :

Nobody likes to see their work trashed but I think that, relative to the low-down, dirty, dishonest contest that politics is in this town (practised by all sides), a few destroyed cornflutes is pretty minor.

How I would love to see a candidate instruct his/her team that dirty politics will not be tolerated, that he/she doesn’t agree with every party policy, and that he/she will do her best if elected but can’t guarantee peace and happiness for all.

I’d vote for that candidate.

I agree, it is pretty minor – especially when I’ve been actively campaigning since March. I posted two tweets about it. That’s it. I didn’t write this article and the quotes are drawn from the video in the tweet – not from some interview.

devils_advocate devils_advocate 9:06 am 14 Sep 16

rommeldog56 said :

JC said :

And how are the Libs going to be any different?

If the Libs get in and dont shape up, vote them out in 2020.

We simply can not carry on the way we are under ACT Labor/Greens.

Yes – introducing a genuine sense of contestability in the ACT will impose some discipline on the current lot, who tax and spend with impunity and then use a series of half-truths and distortions to try and make us feel less ripped off.

rommeldog56 rommeldog56 7:30 am 14 Sep 16

JC said :

And how are the Libs going to be any different?

If the Libs get in and dont shape up, vote them out in 2020.

We simply can not carry on the way we are under ACT Labor/Greens.

TuggLife TuggLife 12:31 am 14 Sep 16

in_the_taratory said :

jett18 said :

JC JC 10:22 pm 13 Sep 16

rommeldog56 said :

jett18 said :

+1.

Very, very, very, very disappointed no doubt…

And how are the Libs going to be any different?

gazket gazket 9:47 pm 13 Sep 16

“If people have problem with the signs, I’d rather they get in touch with me”
I’ll take you up on that offer.
I don’t like your visual pollution either.

wildturkeycanoe wildturkeycanoe 8:06 pm 13 Sep 16

justin heywood justin heywood 7:47 pm 13 Sep 16

I’d vote for that candidate.

gooterz gooterz 7:00 pm 13 Sep 16

in_the_taratory said :

jett18 said :

How about the hard work the tax payers put into the billions of dollars worth of tax paid to the ACT government only to be spent on a tram with a lousy return?

Your signs are probably destroyed by someone with no idea what a party is.

Like most candidates I’ve never heard of you before.

in_the_taratory in_the_taratory 4:36 pm 13 Sep 16

jett18 said :

rommeldog56 rommeldog56 2:53 pm 13 Sep 16

jett18 said :

+1.

If she is “very, very disappointed” that a few of her pesky election signs were broken, I wonder how disappointed she will be if she were to be elected, in having no choice but to tow the ACT Labor/Greens party line and continue with tripling Annual Rates, dreaming up new ACT Govt charges and levies, increasing the territory budget deficit, adhering to the secret MOU between ACT Labor/Greens and Unions ACT, not recognising or calling out conflicts of interest by other ACT Labor Ministers, supporting the tram (including stage 2 to Woden that hasn’t even been costed yet !), etc. Very, very, very, very disappointed no doubt…

jett18 jett18 1:12 pm 13 Sep 16