News

Over 20 years of trusted service
Plumbers available 24/7
02 6297 2022

Chopping down pine trees – near arboretum

AG Canberra 11 September 2008 62

Anyone know why for the past couple of days a mechanical chopper has been working its way through the first few rows of 3 or 4 year old pine trees near the arboretum (adjacent to the Parkway)?

They are being left in neat rows (not unlike the ones set up after the bushfires to get rid of all the material left over) but are in no way ready to be used for timber production.

Buffer zone for bushfire season?
Lots of xmas in September parties?
Cutting down trees to make way for planting more trees?

If the trees did have to go – surely they could have waited another couple of months and let us go and grab one each for Christmas?

Tags

62 Responses to Chopping down pine trees – near arboretum
tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 3:19 pm 11 Sep 08

so, now we will have a tree museum, how long till we have big yellow taxis??

I’m really confused by these last couple of posts!

New Yeah New Yeah 3:17 pm 11 Sep 08

tylersmayhem said :

Especially if they somehow kept it burning forever. An ever-burning mountain would be a stunning, if somewhat apocalyptic, “gift to future generations”.

Wha?

Just a left field contingency plan for Stanho and co to ponder. I like trees and have absolutely no problems with the arb’. It will improve the whole scenery of LBG.

mutley mutley 3:15 pm 11 Sep 08

After seeing other arboretum’s around the world,

Have you visited the arboretum we already have here in Canberra? It’s right near the lake (which makes water more accessible) and was established some time ago. Perhaps it would have been a better idea to promote and improve that one rather than plant new one?

AG Canberra AG Canberra 3:14 pm 11 Sep 08

“gift to future generations” “lasting legacy” – you guys must have watched The Hollowmen last night!

peterh peterh 3:07 pm 11 Sep 08

so, now we will have a tree museum, how long till we have big yellow taxis??

tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 3:06 pm 11 Sep 08

Wha?

peterh peterh 3:05 pm 11 Sep 08

New Yeah said :

Loquaciousness said :

New Yeah said :

tylersmayhem said :

It will be stunning!

Agreed, as long as it doesn’t burn down.

Oh, I don’t know. I think that could be quite stunning too!

L

and think of the water we would save….

NoAddedMSG NoAddedMSG 3:02 pm 11 Sep 08

Well, I can remember a number of family holidays in which my parents drove long distances to just to visit assorted (mostly private) aboretums. There are a few people out there that do that sort of thing, they tend to belong to organisations like the Dendrology Society.

One of the things about aboretums though is that in order to earn the title and be more than just a big park, there has to be some botanical merit to the collection. So, things that are a bit rare or special, or large scale trials to test the limits of what can be grown in the climate. I hope there is a genuine plant person in charge of the aboretum.

Loquaciousness Loquaciousness 3:02 pm 11 Sep 08

My point is – have any sums actually been done (and made public)? Where is the value in this in dollar terms?

I’m all for prettiness. And I’m sure the brides-to-be of Canberra will be grateful for something other than Glebe Park and the lake to have their photos taken next to. Any hotels or whatever are just commercial ventures – they will bring a limited amount of money back to the territory in the form of taxes or whatever. I fail to see how it’s “something historical” in a way that’s any different to the Botanical Gardens.

And yes, I’m cynical and ungrateful about this – I for one am not the sort to sit around and blindly agree with something just because Sonic says it’s a good idea. That’s money literally being sunk into the ground over there and we have one of the worst standards of hospital care in the country. And why? So we can have some pretty flowers to look at. It’s about priorities – let’s build an arboretum once we’ve fixed some of the other issues in the territory.

As for the locals of arboretums hundreds of years ago, I dare say some of them would have been complaining if their areas were planting flowers instead of building hospitals or educating their children too …

L

New Yeah New Yeah 2:59 pm 11 Sep 08

Loquaciousness said :

New Yeah said :

tylersmayhem said :

It will be stunning!

Agreed, as long as it doesn’t burn down.

Oh, I don’t know. I think that could be quite stunning too!

L

tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 2:44 pm 11 Sep 08

Some how I think it will yield more dollars than the current bland plot upon plot of pine trees.

Of course there is no proof that it will yield tourist dollars – but really, Canberra needs to take every opportunity to get tourists here. While the museum, war memorial and Parli house are good – there is still very little to bring people to this city. It’s another possible excuse for tourists to do so, particularly if there’s nothing like it anywhere else in Australia, or many other parts of the world for that matter.

From what I understand, it’s not just tourists who will benefit. It will be a unique place which will also allow for wedding receptions, restaurants and even a hotel or two.

I can’t agree that it compares with the s**t they call art and put on the side of the road. It’s leaving a gift to future generations. It’s the beginning of something historical. I’m sure when some of the arboretums where established hundreds of years ago – instead of being cynical and ungrateful, the locals would have seen the unique opportunity and taken pride to have something like that.

Loquaciousness Loquaciousness 2:41 pm 11 Sep 08

New Yeah said :

tylersmayhem said :

It will be stunning!

Agreed, as long as it doesn’t burn down.

Oh, I don’t know. I think that could be quite stunning too!

L

tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 2:40 pm 11 Sep 08

Of course there is no proof that it will yield tourist dollars – but really, Canberra needs to take every opportunity to get tourists here. While the museum, war memorial and Parli house are good – there is still very little to bring people to this city. It’s another possibile excuse for tourists to do so, particularly if there’s nothing like it anywhere else in Australia, or many other parts of the world for that matter.

New Yeah New Yeah 2:38 pm 11 Sep 08

tylersmayhem said :

It will be stunning!

Agreed, as long as it doesn’t burn down.

Loquaciousness Loquaciousness 1:55 pm 11 Sep 08

Mr Evil said :

A fully functioning health system would also be quite stunning for Canberra too.

Yes, indeed. Not to mention the education system …

I agree that it will be stunning – I’m not against an arboretum in principle. However, I see this in the same light as the multi-million dollar artworks being strewn about the place. They’re pretty (well, that’s debatable in some cases), but they’re also massive drains on the territory’s economy, and all for not much.

Where’s the figures that show that having an arboretum is going to increase tourist dollars by x factor of the amount being spent on it? I imagine that many people who are visiting Canberra will also visit the arboretum, but how many people will choose to come here over some other place simply because we have one?

L

tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 1:52 pm 11 Sep 08

A fully functioning health system would also be quite stunning for Canberra too

I agree with you 100% Mr Evil!

Aurelius Aurelius 1:45 pm 11 Sep 08

Mr Evil, Haven’t you read Katy’s press releases? All’s fine and dandy with the health system…..

Mr Evil Mr Evil 1:42 pm 11 Sep 08

tylersmayhem said :

After seeing other arboretum’s around the world, and reading the plans for the one in Canberra, we are very lucky to have one being developed for us – particularly for generations to come. It will be stunning!

tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 1:03 pm 11 Sep 08

Finally, it takes some antagonizing for anyone to show any positive comments about it! 😉

I challenge you all to look into previous posts about the arboretum which show much support. I just get tired of the Canberra-knocking that goes on all the time!

AG Canberra AG Canberra 12:54 pm 11 Sep 08

Re the water – That’s one of the big reasons I think alot of people have found it hard to support.

We seem to be able to arrange for water for a few thousand trees, and for new ovals at the junior and senior gaols – but community ovals have been let go and residents are still on restrictions. Restrictions should apply equally to all.

Still no-one has been able to answer why thre trees are being chopped down….

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.