Churches give followers a sense of belonging and an opportunity to express their commitment to and faith in their God. Canberra is home to a number of churches – from the spectacular, centuries-old monuments to more modern worship centres.
The church you decide to attend will depend on your denomination and worship preferences. That being said, all churches should welcome you with open arms into their generous and loving communities.
In this article, we’ll share with you three of the most popular Christian churches in Canberra and surrounds. Let’s get started.
What makes a wonderful church?
You may already know exactly what you are looking for in a Canberra church, but if you don’t, here are a few ideas to get you started.
- Your chosen denomination. First and foremost, you are most likely looking for a church that follows your denomination of Christianity. Luckily, Canberra has many churches servicing the full spectrum of spirituality.
- A welcoming community. Your fellow churchgoers can start to feel like family. Your church should be a place of total comfort and acceptance. You should never feel judged.
- Suitable worship times. Let’s be honest, sometimes it can be hard to find an hour or so out of your day to dedicate to yourself. The ideal church for you offers worship services at times that suit you and your family.
- Convenient locations. Again, the best church in Canberra for you will be situated close to your home.
- Opportunities for charity work and other activities. Many churches engage in charity work that not only helps others but also gives you the opportunity to give back to the local community.
Popular churches in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and maintain a minimum average of 4/5 stars on both Google and Facebook reviews.
Here are some of the fantastic churches in Canberra. This is just the tip of the iceberg – we encourage you to continue your research and find a place of worship that meets your needs.
The stunning St John’s Anglican church dates way back to 1841 when some of the first European settlers arrived in the area. Today, it is a vibrant church that welcomes people of all ages and from all walks of life. Open daily for prayer, this Anglican church offers both a tight-knit community and space for personal reflection.
Situated just 10 minutes from the Australian National University, Canberra’s Hope Church celebrates a lively, multi-cultural community of Christian followers. The team behind Hope believe that church is so much more than a building – it’s a community of people that support each other.
The St Joseph’s Catholic Church in O’Connor dates back to the 1950s. Now, they welcome a devoted community of Catholics to mass seven days a week, plus Reconciliation services on Saturday and Sunday.
Who did you pick?
Thanks to our commentators who have provided insightful feedback on the best and worst Canberra Churches.
If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Please comment below detailing your experience with Canberra based Churches? Who would you recommend? Who would you use again? Who would you steer clear of?