Commuting from Goulburn to Canberra? Living in Goulburn?

evessunshine 30 September 2010 65

Hi Everyone,

Anyone living in Goulburn? What’s it like for a young family?
And do you think commuting to Canberra 4days a week manageable?

Looking forward to hearing some feedback 🙂

65 Responses to Commuting from Goulburn to Canberra? Living in Goulburn?
Growling Ferret Growling Ferret 3:47 pm 30 Sep 10

30 minutes to get from Watson to Civic?! Are you walking? If you’re not then take a different route, haha. That’s madness.

From the Federal Highway servo (Watson), to getting into Civic down Northbourne, getting a carpark, then walking into the office, allow half an hour.

Unless you have underbuilding parking or you get there at 7am.

When the GDE bridge collapsed it was taking an hour from Gungahlin, dropping kids off at daycare, the wife in the city, then into the office in Barton.

bitzermaloney bitzermaloney 3:49 pm 30 Sep 10

Still quicker that the 1.5 hrs each way to takes for in-Action to get from Rivett, Chapman, Duffy to Civic.

bd84 bd84 4:00 pm 30 Sep 10

Depends what you intend doing with the kids, if they will go to school in Goulburn it could be okay. However if they go to school in Canberra you will need to take into account all their activities will be here too. You will need to add in all the additional trips for sport and other activities such as friends birthdays and the like. The more trips the less worth it will be. Don’t forget the trips for your social activities too..

KB1971 KB1971 4:04 pm 30 Sep 10

bitzermaloney said :

??, it takes me less than that to get in from Lanyon???

KB1971 KB1971 4:04 pm 30 Sep 10

I might add, both on the bus & on the pushy.

colourful sydney racing identity colourful sydney racing identity 4:28 pm 30 Sep 10

bitzermaloney said :

Whatever you are doing, you are doing it wrong.

Pork Hunt Pork Hunt 4:37 pm 30 Sep 10

Twenty five posts and not one mention of light rail…

astrojax astrojax 4:41 pm 30 Sep 10

stay in the blue mts!

sepi sepi 5:15 pm 30 Sep 10

I will vouch for the 30 minutes from Watson to Civic. Most of it at about 20k per hour.
It is funny to turn into a side street with a school zone and speed up to 40k.

Do the drive once or twice at peak hour before you decide.

Kuku Kuku 5:16 pm 30 Sep 10

I did the Canberra – Goulburn commute for three years. By the end I was totally fed up with it. Petrol costs went through the roof, not to mention the kms on my vehicle. It would have been different if I could have caught a bus or train.

On the plus side I did get to listen to lots and lots….and lots of talking books….

Gungahlin Al Gungahlin Al 6:29 pm 30 Sep 10

sepi said :

It is funny to turn into a side street with a school zone and speed up to 40k.

Do the drive once or twice at peak hour before you decide.

Yup. I can actually do it in 25 on my bicycle – faster than by car. When I drive I turn the car off at lights (pretending it is a Prius) and it saves a truck load of fuel.

On Goulburn – hate the town. Hated the drive. Three months was the limit. If you have kids in care or afters, you have to be back by 6pm not matter what. Or if you have them somewhere in Canberra, then you have them in the car the whole way there and back – even worse. Sheer hell actually. 90 minutes in the morning, 75 in the arvo? Too much. And the property prices there are too bloody high to claim savings at that end too.

peterepete peterepete 7:12 pm 30 Sep 10

Most Sydneysiders would see it as a nice commute. Flowing traffic and not that big a chunk from the day. Its why I live here and walking to walk is fantastic. In a few years (think 10) I think that wont be too uncommon. In the meantime though people will think you are a tad bizarre. No one will visit you on the weekend so may harm your social life. You’re friends will be in Goulburn and your colleagues in Canberra. If that works for you then cool

enrique enrique 7:18 pm 30 Sep 10

ConanOfCooma said :

the drug problem is through the roof… inner north on a shitty block next to ice freaks.

Gold!!!

Dude, I think you’re getting the inner north confused with Charnwood?

enrique enrique 7:24 pm 30 Sep 10

The commute might sound easy at first but after a while you’ll probably begrudge it and the stress might begin to take its toll.

Not so much an issue if you’re on your own or with just your partner but with kids you’ll begin to wonder if its worth it… in the young years you’ll miss out on hanging out with them before they go to bed… as they get older they will probably start ignoring you because you’re never really there (esp. as teenagers)

I’ve known a few people with kids that did massive commutes and after a while it really became apparent that it was getting to them.

Life is short man, if you’ve got the choice why would you waste your precious free time stuck in a car driving?

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 10:27 pm 30 Sep 10

Growling Ferret said :

From the Federal Highway servo (Watson), to getting into Civic down Northbourne, getting a carpark, then walking into the office, allow half an hour…

Well, anyone that drives down Northbourne Ave by choice during peak times deserves to sit in traffic, I guess.

cleo cleo 1:01 am 01 Oct 10

Many here in Canberra are spoilt, I used to live in NSW and had to travel all around Sydney, Fridays were worse, I suggest that if you are planning on commuting from Goulburn advertise by putting a notice up at the local supermarket or wherever to share driving, I’m sure there would be others in the same situation living in Goulburn.

Growling Ferret Growling Ferret 7:05 am 01 Oct 10

HC – I’ve used both the Ainslie and O’Connor Rat runs. Both can suck as much as Northborne on a bad day…

Smudge Smudge 9:14 am 01 Oct 10

We’re considering the same thing at the moment, for one simple reason. We can afford to buy a house in Goulburn, not so in Canberra. Our only hesitation is the commute, the town itself seems nice. Plenty of history, buildings with character, adequate ameneties. Seems like there’s a bit of a mini-boom in Gouburn at the moment, mostly driven by unaffordable housing in Canberra.

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 9:53 am 01 Oct 10

Growling Ferret said :

Fair enough.

When I lived in Nicholls (or Harcourt Hill if want to be a try hard) and worked in Civic I used to go through Lyneham/O’Connor. It was infinitely more satisfactory than going anywhere near Northbourne. This was about 7 years ago, mind, and I would usually arrive at work some time around 8am.

When I started working in Fyshwick I only went on Northbourne from the Barton Hwy to Antill Street, even that was too much for me, haha. I’d rather take a longer amount of time to get to work and avoid getting fenced in a field of stationary metal – I can’t stand traffic (I have lived in Melbourne too) – a bit weird I guess, but that’s me.

Thankfully I’m now in the inner North so the work commute is generally not too bad. A bit of unncessary stopping for tourists on Commomwealth Ave during Floriade is about as bad as it gets.

Pommy bastard Pommy bastard 9:57 am 01 Oct 10

Life’s too short to waste 8 hours a week it commuting.