I made this delicious pudding-style desert for our neighbourhood BBQ last Sunday. We are fortunate to live in a charming, quiet street with lots of tall mature trees, established gardens with roses, where neighbours know each other, go camping during the summer holidays for a week, and time to time get together to watch family movies on a large screen in the garden. I could’t think of a better environment to raise my son. I wanted to create something comforting, delicious and light to have after the feast and thought of this simple and quick, yet absolute winner, of a dessert. The combination of the melting hot texture with scoop of an ice-cream was divine. And yes, I did have two bowls. Enjoy making it and sharing with your loved ones.
6 rhubarb stalks
1 tbsp caster sugar
150 g butter unsalted
2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 1/3 cup of caster sugar
3/4 cup organic self-raising flour
1 1/2 cups of milk
vanilla bean paste
4 eggs, separated
2 figs cut in 3mm slices
icing sugar mixture, to serve
Bulla frozen yoghurt with honey
1. Preheat oven for 180 degrees.
2. Wash the rhubarb and cut into a 1cm pieces. Gently mix rhubarb with 1 tablespoon of sugar and place on a baking tray in the oven for 15 minutes or until tender. Place aside some rhubarb for garnish.
3. Grease a medium-sized ovenproof dish.
4. Place butter, lemon rind, rhubarb, lemon juice, sugar, flour, milk, vanilla bean paste, egg yolks in a bowl. Whisk to combine.
5. Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites on a high speed until soft peaks form. Gently fold in the rhubarb mixture. Spoon into the prepared ovenproof dish and lay the figs on top. Place in a large baking dish. Pour boiling water into the baking dish until halfway up sides of the ovenproof dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden and just set.
6. Dust with icing sugar and serve immediately with yoghurt ice cream and reserved rhubarb.
You can register for my weekly newsletter at email@example.com