Culture Jamming goes too far with drug laced lollies at MacDonalds?

johnboy 26 February 2009 139

The Canberra Times reports that two 16 year old girls from Palmerston and Harrison have been charged with acts endangering health after allegedly leaving lollies in the kiddie pit at Gungahlin Maccas.

“Police allege that the two girls concealed over-the-counter, non-prescription tablets one a mild stimulant and the other a pain-killing medication inside soft lollies and deliberately left them in the children’s play area.”

The kids who took them are reportedly unharmed.

139 Responses to Culture Jamming goes too far with drug laced lollies at MacDonalds?
sepi sepi 1:15 pm 27 Feb 09

When they KKK had a fun night out, do you think they ran thru the streets shouting
‘let us all form an orderly lynch mob’?

Or did they just scream out ‘string ’em up’?

PsydFX PsydFX 1:13 pm 27 Feb 09

FC said :

Careful… we could possibly start up the whole “to smack or not to smack” debate!
😉

Let’s go for it.

I say it’s ok – open hand only though!

FC FC 1:03 pm 27 Feb 09

😉

Muttsybignuts Muttsybignuts 12:59 pm 27 Feb 09

Gobbo said :

GB said :

Me, If I was the parent of either the 16 year olds or the toddlers, I’d be wanting to smack arse, and smack arse mighty hard.

😉

Me too. I imagine if it was PBs own kid he might not be so keen to draw and quarter but you never know.

On a small tangent, I remember getting the odd smacked arse as a child. Hurt a lot and worked well.

Pommy bastard Pommy bastard 12:54 pm 27 Feb 09

There may be plenty of such calls on the RoitAct for “lynch mobs”, but it serves nobody very well if they are used within this thread against people who have not called for them here, or anywhere in fact.

Pommy bastard Pommy bastard 12:49 pm 27 Feb 09

Jim Jones said :

Jimbo – I disagree that this is about ‘good’ or ‘evil’, and eventually even the statement that we shouldn’t try to empathise with them.

Another fine example of the invisible writing that only he Jim can read. First he’s seen calls for “lynch mobs” here, now he’s seen people saying that there should be no empathy for these girls.

And Jim wonders why people “don’t listen”* to his pearls of wisdom?

Gobbo Gobbo 12:34 pm 27 Feb 09

GB said :

And yes, they have been called evil in this thread:

• “Two words – evil bitches.”
• “These girls aren’t evil. Just really stupid.”

From my reading of that final quote, PB was calling them malicious, not evil or stupid. Hence “There is no stupidity in the intent, nor the action, just pure malice.”

Of course then every thing was blown out of proportion by some posters as his opinion wasn’t theirs … or summat like that. 🙂

😉

GB GB 12:21 pm 27 Feb 09

Hmm. I agree that emotions cannot be wrong – they just exist. Actions (including verbal incitement) based on or excused by those emotions can easily be wrong.

Eg I think it is (morally) wrong (possibly “evil”) to say, here:

• “There isn’t a hole in hell deep enough for these cretins to be buried in”, or
• “they should be made to be lef tin teh care of teh parents who’s kids ate the affected sweets” or
• “If it were my kid who was affected, I’d be baying for blood” or
• “if their extreme stupidity/malice isn’t punished with extereme prejudice” or
• “I’d be pushing for them to hang” or
• “my conscience would be clear” .

These were all said in this thread; and I don’t think I’ve altered the meaning by taking them out of their immediate context.

And yes, they have been called evil in this thread:

• “Two words – evil bitches.”
• “These girls aren’t evil. Just really stupid.” answered by “Disagree.” (maybe that writer was imprecise and meant they aren’t evil and aren’t stupid).

There are plenty of examples, even just on riotact, of people calling for or extolling vigilante action and extra-legal punishment, including people excited by the possibility that someone might be raped or bashed in jail. These seem to me to often constitute an online lynch mob (in the modern usage of the expression). There are already examples (not on riotact) where an online or SMS lynch mob has produced an actual physical mob which has attacked people. Those people felt they were doing something ok by attacking, egged on by the emotional mob’s words.

I think its worth stopping and thinking about what we really want to happen, rather than just indulging our childish tit-for-tat emotions.

Jim Jones Jim Jones 12:20 pm 27 Feb 09

VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy said :

Jimbo – I disagree that this is about ‘good’ or ‘evil’, it’s about right or wrong, which in this case applies directly to intent to harm a defenceless child.

Then why the hell are you arguing?

No one has ever said that what the girls did wasn’t wrong or that they shouldn’t be punished for it. The argument stemmed from the virulent disagreement to Muttsybignuts’ statement that ‘The girls aren’t evil. Just really stupid’ and the following calls for them to be: locked up, buried in a hole, killed, etc. ad nauseum., and eventually even the statement that we shouldn’t try to empathise with them.

FC FC 11:53 am 27 Feb 09

That is two seperate quotes.
The first is one poster calling the girls “evil bitches”

The other is PB disagreeing iwht someone saying the girls “aren’t evil, just stupid.”

I would see that as 2 examples.

FC FC 11:51 am 27 Feb 09

Auntyem said :

Two words – evil bitches.

Pommy bastard said :

Muttsybignuts said :

These girls aren’t evil. Just really stupid.

Disagree.

There is no stupidity in the intent, nor the action, just pure malice.

there you go –

VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy 11:47 am 27 Feb 09

I do have a kid, and he is learning about right and wrong in clear terms. Making excuses about 16 year olds doing something like this is very poor. Do you really believe believe these girls formed the intent, gathered the ingredients, assembled the items, then planted them and watched with no though of the potential victims?

And you think I’m the one who’s not so bright?

Pommy bastard Pommy bastard 11:41 am 27 Feb 09

Excellent post GB! Though I still say our intitial emotional reactions are not “wrong” in themslevs, just natural.

I’m still looking for the calls for “lynch mobs”, oh, and for anyone calling these girls “evil”. (What they did has been described as evil, in fact only Jim has posited that they are evil themselves.)

chewy14 chewy14 11:26 am 27 Feb 09

Extreme views on the Internet?

well i never, im shocked and outraged. Oh the humanity.

GB GB 10:56 am 27 Feb 09

While I find this incident alarming and scary, I am more distressed by the small but vocal faction here, on talkback radio and elsewhere which jumps to ‘hang-em-high’ at the slightest provocation. Eg:

Pommy bastard said :

If it were my toddler (which it obviously is not) , the emotions which would be invoked in me by the evil act of these two kids, potentially threatening my child’s life, would be strong enough for me to want them dead, and my conscience would be clear.

And that’s the problem. Your (anticipated) emotions are just that: emotions. And ranting about emotions can be a good way for some people to get over them.

However, your deliberate choice to allow yourself to kill someone, and use your emotions as an excuse, seems to me an act of evil, as defined in #1 in the quote above.

And that is what is wrong with moral panics: they produce more evil. They make it difficult or impossible to discuss what is the best thing to do (for us all, practically and ethically). Instead, people allow themselves to feel justified in killing, bashing, harassing or humiliating the target people. It is the same logic that permits assault (verbal or physical) when its ‘justified’ by ‘road rage’ — ie “i feel angry, so I’m allowed to do anything I like”.

Fortunately, most people seem to recognise that our initial emotional response — perhaps wanting to kill someone — is almost always not the best course of action. In places where this breaks down, they tend to get stuck in a cycle of violence. I don’t think that is a good way of living.

These girls were bad, they did something very wrong. We don’t know why – many possible reasons have been canvassed here.

We need to figure out what is the best thing to do to minimise the chance of them doing evil things again; and of others copying them.

Separately from that, we each need to deal with our emotions.

Mashing the two together is unlikely to be effective, either in reducing evil or having us feel better.

fnaah fnaah 10:49 am 27 Feb 09

But really – saying that you could send teenage girls to the gallows with a clear conscience. That’s just so f@cked up it’s beyond belief.

And I know that not everyone agrees with PB. But the rest of my comment stands – the amount of spittle-flecked hatred and bile that appears *every* time any crime is mentioned just beggers belief.

You’ve got people actually saying that they would be ‘baying for blood’ about it.

And it’s always happening.

Really, it’s just impossible not to find this depressing.

I tend to agree with your first statement, but I don’t find the RiotACT zeitgeist depressing. Keep this in mind: there always seems to be plenty of people willing to engage in heated debate about it to moderate the views of the spittle-flecked loonies, and plenty more people who choose not to comment, so as a community, I’d say RiotACT readers are much less bloodthirsty and single mindedly authoritarian than you make out. 😉

Pommy bastard Pommy bastard 10:48 am 27 Feb 09

I have not called for, nor argued for, any sort of lynch mob Jim. I have given my personal views and my perspectives. It’s not my fault you have no counter arguments to my points.

Jim Jones Jim Jones 10:39 am 27 Feb 09

I give up. There’s no point attempting to discuss anything with PB, he’s too keen to start a lynch mob to listen to anyone.

FC FC 10:35 am 27 Feb 09

Wow. I think that is my first ever comment to go into moderation ..

FC FC 10:33 am 27 Feb 09

Good GOD!!!
NOT AT ALL PB!!
You’re responses just drive me up the wall that I couldn’t be bothered ‘getting into it’ with someone ‘like you’!!
but if I must!
OF COURSE I WOULD CALL FOR EMPATHY FOR F*CKS SAKE!
why would I not try to have an “understanding of another’s situation, feelings, and motives. ” ????

And you’re last point.
you are sure the 16 years olds didn’t even consider this?? (consider that the child might have had pre existing issues etc) but then you would still have a clear conscience about sending two 16 years for them to hang??

WTF?!!