Cyclist injured in Ainslie

Sammy 16 January 2007 52

A cyclist was found with serious head injuries in Campbell St, Ainslie at about 2:30pm this afternoon, and ACT Police are seeking witnesses to the accident. It is not known if a vehicle was involved, or if the cyclist fell heavily from the bicycle, all on their own.

Anyone with information about the collision is asked to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

52 Responses to Cyclist injured in Ainslie
Kramer Kramer 9:05 am 22 Jan 07

OK everyone it’s probably been a while since you sat for your L’s, so here’s a refresher – ACT Road Rules Handbook : Part E – Other Road Users.

Interestingly, it says cyclists are not permitted to ride across school crossings or pedestrian crossings, but they may ride across a crossing where a cycle path meets a crossing after giving way to all vehicles.

Big Al Big Al 6:01 am 22 Jan 07

Unfortunately Gromit, if you did knock over a cyclist on the road, irrespective of whether or not there was a cycly lane near by you’d be up for every cent of compensation that the cyclist could screw from you.

Your best bet would be to invest in some anger management classes and maybe some driving lessons to better equip you to manage with a range of vehicles legally using the road.

Gromit70 Gromit70 11:19 pm 21 Jan 07

Most cyclists deserve verbal and/or physical abuse. Take the cycle lane past the Dickson lights on Northbourne. How many of these idiots insist on cycling in the road? Especially at the narrowest part after it goes into one lane? I see them everyday. I had a verbal exchange with one the other day. I politely informed him that if I or anyone else was to knock him off, he wouldn’t be entitled to any form of compensation simply because there is a perfectly good cycle path for him to use not more than 6 feet away. He bravely gave me the one finger salute while making a quick getaway up the Barton Highway after realising I was carrying straight on. Why should our taxes be spent trying to make a minority group happy when it’s just wasted? The things should be ripped up! And if you are reading this Mr Brave Cyclist, the next time I see you (and believe me, I will), I’ll be running you and your middle finger over.

terubo terubo 1:52 pm 21 Jan 07

Probably has a (bicyle bell) ringing in his ears…

I-filed I-filed 1:50 pm 21 Jan 07

How is the cyclist one wonders?????

Snarky Snarky 7:26 pm 18 Jan 07

i have never collided with a cyclist in my vehicle.

[grin] Good-oh, Bonfire – I’m glad to hear it. I amend my previous comment to now read “I doubt Bonfire has many kills stamped on the side of his car.”

Mutley, it’s the generalisations that make it difficult to take the good info you bring to the thread seriously. “cyclists … in Canberra … are a bunch of self-righteous, selfish bastards” and then later (inference here) “(Canberra cyclists) feel the need to tell everyone they’re saving a penguin or something by riding and not driving.”

Perhaps we move in different circles? No Canberra cyclists I know, nor most I’ve seen fit either generalisation. How does these flimsy assertions progress your argument?

We KNOW there are small number of dangerous and arrogant a**holes on bikes out there. We don’t like them either! They’re a danger to other road users, and they make the cycling majority look like fools.

I’ll go out on a limb here and say that many – if not most – cyclists in Australia also drive cars regularly, and when we’re behind the wheel we know full well how dangerous it can be out there if you don’t follow the rules and use your common sense.

I’ve lived in a country where a whole lot more cyclists and cars interact on a daily basis, and with a lot less idiotic behaviour. Perhaps what’s needed in Canberra are lots MORE cyclists. If more cyclists and car drivers have to get on then maybe there’s be more peace and love on the ACT motorways. What do you think?

cranky cranky 6:57 pm 18 Jan 07

I’ll award 2 points to the cycling gang at the Long Gully/Yamba Drive lights @ 6.50 this morning. Clever enough to block the lane, not heavy enough to trigger the lights. Finally dawns that if they move left, a truck will be able to move forward and trigger the lights, allowing all to continue.

The less said about the lady cyclist who ran the red, obviously concerning the motorist turning right with the green light, the better.

mutley mutley 5:56 pm 18 Jan 07

That said, I have no idea what happened to the cyclist in this case (coming back on topic) and wish him/her the best for a recovery.

mutley mutley 5:52 pm 18 Jan 07

I think there is the antipathy towards cyclists here in Canberra because, in general, they are a bunch of self-righteous, selfish bastards. (please note, that is a generalisation, and if you are a non-self-righteous, non-selfish, legitimate child who cycles, please bear that in mind).

I rode to work for a period of 12 months at one stage, and yes, there are a heap of idiot drivers out there, but the amount of idiot behaviour amongst cyclists I observed at that time was staggering.

I’m currently in a country where a whole lot more cyclists and cars interact on a daily basis, with far less infrastructure, and I see a lot less idiotic behaviour, particularly from the cyclist who seem a lot more aware of themselves and everyone around them (and they don’t feel the need to tell everyone they’re saving a penguin or something by riding and not driving).

johnboy johnboy 5:38 pm 18 Jan 07

I don’t recall that thread bonfire.

bonfire bonfire 5:25 pm 18 Jan 07

to the newbies – there was a thread here last year which concluded that at least 70% of all cyclists were dangerous lawbreakers.

mainly to themselves. as much as they dislike it, the laws of physics dont change for lycra clad cyclists.

mass + velocity = force

or for the softhead cyclists

car + road law ignoring cyclist = hospital trip for cyclist

i observe their behaviour dozens of times a year. frankly im surprised that so few cyclists end up in hospital.

Chariots Chariots 5:17 pm 18 Jan 07

Bonfire you encounter one extremely risky and downright stupid cyclist, and this is the justification for calling all cyclists selfish whingers? That guy is lucky to be alive, good for you for avoiding hitting him when he was clearly at fault. Thank heavens for good drivers.

Copyright © 2020 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.
the-riotact.com | riotact.com.cn | aboutregional.com.au | b2bmagazine.com.au | thisiscanberra.com