News

Skilled legal advice with
accessible & personal attention

Cyclist v driver rant

By Gungahlin Al - 14 October 2010 116

It’s a month with a R in it so it must be time for a cyclist vs driver rant. [ED – Actually it’s been a while and we’re open to them in may and june]

And after this morning’s ride, I’m in a ranting mood. Four near misses in one ride is not acceptable on anyone’s planet.

Normally I shun the deathrace that is the absurdly skinny bits of laughingly named Cycle Lanes on Northbourne and parts of Flemington, but the rain turns the Wells Station Track into clay slush, so blacktop it was today. Rear light flashing, reflector strips on panniers, etc…

First a moron in a green Audi sedan couldn’t wait the 10 seconds for me to get through the skinny roadworks at Mitchell and forced his way through WAY too close. Then someone in a small silver sedan cut in front of two of us at EPIC using the entire cycle lane. Then a guy in a maroon sedan decided the cycle lane at Watson was there so he could pass everyone on the left and over he pulled without looking – big swerve required.

Final straw was the 51-route ACTION bus on Northbourne who decided to run right along the white line, despite having more than a metre free the other side (my third close call with an ACTION bus in as many weeks – some of the bastards actually swerve closer as they pass you!). Back onto footpaths…

Jeez folks – it shouldn’t this dangerous to have a simple bike ride!

Remember, everyone who is riding is making less congestion for you in your cars. So take a bit more care please?

What’s Your opinion?

116 Responses to
Cyclist v driver rant
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
chris820 6:19 pm 14 Oct 10

I ride 95% on the cycle paths. Where the worst you have to look out for is groups of supermums with prams off in la-la land. iPod listeners can be a hazard. But hitting one of those wouldn’t sting as much as a bus.

sirocco 6:07 pm 14 Oct 10

I can’t stand lycra-clad, mid-life-crisis hotshots that think they don’t need a freakin’ bell on their bike.

So I don’t wear lycra. So I am slow on my bike. But at least when I am lucky enough to overtake someone else on the bike path I have the common decency to ring my nerdy little bell so they aren’t frightened out of their skin when they don’t realise someone was behind them!

I hate all those I’m-too-cool-for-school-in-my-expensive-unflattering-lycra-and-stupid-cleats-to-need-a-bell f***ers.

There’s my rant 🙂 How was that CK? Was it crazy enough? Out of 10?

Clown Killer 6:05 pm 14 Oct 10

BTW post #16 achieved its intended purpose, $hit stirring. Caught you hook line.

Actually no you didn’t. The thread was only displaying up to post #13 when I posted. Given that fact I’m guessing that the only option is to place the handle “davecdp” in the part of the venn-diagram labelled ‘twat’. 🙂

Grail 5:53 pm 14 Oct 10

Riding in the cycle lane, I inhale about one quarter the amount of Carbon Monoxide that a car diver or their passengers do.

Riding in the cycle lane on Northbourne Avenue is no more or less frustrating than driving in the traffic on Northbourne Avenue.

The most frustrating people on the roads are the ones who don’t behave the same way I would when using their mode of transport. If everyone would just be sensible like me, the world would be a happier place.

Keijidosha 5:28 pm 14 Oct 10

@rebcart – there’s an off-road cycle lane running parallel to Northbourne from Dickson to EPIC, but beyond that you’re back to the street. Although by that point the road is back to dual carriageway with a generous shoulder.

chewy14 5:13 pm 14 Oct 10

Jim Jones said :

Pitchka said :

Jim Jones said :

Pitchka said :

Roads are for vehicles, not push bikes.

Not accordingly to the law, dingus.

I wasn’t quoting the law, it was my opinion, sugnid!

I think you’ll find that the law holds a little more validity than your opinion (for example, the law is used in determining what is allowed to happen in Australian society, your opinion is used for … I dunno, being laughed at or something).

You’re allowed to have your own opinion, but I’m afraid you’re not allowed to have your own facts.

I’m sure the next cyclist who gets hit by a car driven by someone like Pitchka will be happy to know that at least they were in the right.

Davo111 5:03 pm 14 Oct 10

Johnboy, can i propose that drivers/cyclists rants have to be signed off by the writers real name and/or we have a “consolidated cyclist rant” thread stickied to the riot act page?

carnardly 4:57 pm 14 Oct 10

I was riding on Fincham Street Wanniassa the other night. Just as I approached the roundabout at Fincham Street near St Anthony’s school, intending to go straight through, a bronzed coloured car, with a P plate and a numberplate of “Britt” came up level with me. She and her load of passengers looked at me and then decided they had to turn left right there. If I hadn’t grabbed my brakes, I would’ve been underneath her car. Was that 2 seconds it would’ve taken for me to cross *THAT* important to you?

Britt with the pink numberplate – when you drive dumbly, we know who you are with that numberplate.

I have serious hardcore lights on the front and the back. I know you saw me as i looked at you through your passenger window.

You are either a rude pushy young girl, a complete dolt or a dangerous driver You choose.

rebcart 4:30 pm 14 Oct 10

Keijidosha said :

I can’t figure out why any cyclist would even consider using Northbourne Avenue (or any roadside bike lane for that matter). The inconsiderate drivers, added danger of becoming a meat pattie, and breathing in the copious amounts of smog kind of kill the enjoyment of riding for me.

After I discovered the oasis of the cycle path a mere 100m west of Northbourne I now enjoy a carefree and leasurely trundle to work amongst the birds and breeze. Sure it might add an extra minute or two to the trip, but there’s little chance of becoming roadkill, and every chance I’ll avoid getting black lung.

I don’t know about anyone else, but I need to get out to past the Watson roundabout on the Federal Hwy multiple times a week. There really aren’t that many side paths between Dickson and there which will get me there anywhere near as fast as the road will.

davecdp 4:28 pm 14 Oct 10

Clown Killer said :

My favourites are the twats who genuinely believe that whether or not a road user pays vehicle registration actually counts for anything … bring it on!

Yeah its just a pipedream Clown Killer but it would cut down on the number of cyclists on the road because the main reason they ride anyway is to save money…..

KB1971 4:19 pm 14 Oct 10

john87_no1 said :

Why cant you understand that some people just dont want you on the road? In turn some people are going to be a-holes. Or…. now this might sound crazy – dont ride during peak hour traffic.

Coz Im here just to piss you off.

Actually, peach hour is safer in some respects as the traffic is slower.

intaba 4:19 pm 14 Oct 10

I spent a good portion of a road trip to Melbourne listening to cyclists rant about the way cars treated them on the roads. The next part of the conversation was all the stupid things they had done on their bikes – riding home from Civic drunk, no helmets, no lights. It wasn’t until about an hour later that I realised that one of them didn’t have a drivers licence and one had a licence but had barely driven, and never in Canberra. I hate driving past cyclists on Northbourne because the lanes never seem wide enough and the cyclists are so close and vulnerable, not because they get in my way or slow me down. These non-driving cyclists had never seen it from behind the wheel of a car and only blamed the driver.

KB1971 4:18 pm 14 Oct 10

Special G said :

I wear lycra and look good in it too. Jealous much. Get on your bike a bit more and you too could look like me. Ka chow!

YAHHHH!!! Me too 🙂

I sprung a woman having a look out of the Quantas Club shop window the other day as I was parked waiting to go across Northbourne…. Hhehehehehe.

The Axe Man 4:11 pm 14 Oct 10

KB1971 said :

The Axe Man: How many man hours have you lost sitting behind a cyclist?

It’s not about being held up, it’s about showing commonsense.
All road users need to start realising that there are other road users out there and that they may not all be in a car.
As I alluded to before I’m not anti-cycling on the road (I never would though) but I am against cyclists not obeying the traffic laws when it suits them if it has an effect on other road users.
By all means ride in the middle of the road but if a car comes up behind pull all the way into your specially painted safe zone

Keijidosha 4:09 pm 14 Oct 10

rebcart 4:01 pm 14 Oct 10

Just yesterday some dingbats in a massive 4WD passed me as close as they could, and just as they got level with me blasted the horn and yelled obscenities. Apparently freaking out a random girl on her bike, minding her own business in the tiny Northbourne bike lane, in the hope she’ll swerve with fear and fall into traffic is the most fun thing in the world. Wish I’d seen their numberplate, but they drove off too fast (and I need glasses 🙁 )

If their side mirror had been just a few cm closer, it would have hit my elbow…

Rangi 4:01 pm 14 Oct 10

Gung’ Al,like the people you talk about, arrogant stupid a-holes are arrogant stupid a-holes no matter what mode of transport they are using, take them out of the car and put them on a bike they will cause a danger to others. They are also the sort of person who will cut off other cars at form one lanes and the like. The simply believe they are more important than anyone else and they have, nay are entitled to be at the front of any line, be it the movies the supermarket, the road etc.

A little while ago I was working around a place with a drive thru speaker box, when one of these oxygen thieves drove (in her new looking HSV) up to the box, talking on her phone, make up and tacky jewellery dripping off her, the employee asked what she wanted and she told him to hang on while she finished phone call!!!

Special G 4:00 pm 14 Oct 10

john87_no1 3:42 pm 14 Oct 10

KB1971 3:41 pm 14 Oct 10

troll-sniffer said :

After many years dealing with the moron element of the driving classes I have a strategy that I use in congested traffic areas:

When in doubt in narrow conditions, take over the lane. Any narrow roadworks, especially 40km/hr roadworks zones, I move to the middle of the lane. Even tradies respect that, the odd one who doesn’t can’t do a thing about it. I’ve never had anyone even so much as toot me for taking my right to a safe passage through a tight lane, as long as I am obviously hurrying and not dawdling.

I do this, we have a couple of slow points on Box Hill & Tom Roberts & I always signal & move out. You have to give plenty of notice though but most people are considerate enough that if you signal they will slow down. I also find that I go through the roundabluts quicker than most cars anyway & that seems to placate them because I am not actually holding them up.

I actually use the bike path all the way from Lanyon, I find it more relaxing than having cars whizzing past my shoulder & I am sick of flats from glass bottles thrown from cars.

GBT: it has always been the law & with the push to get people out of cars it will never change, get used to it & be a bit more open minded. I used to think like you but then I put the shoe on the other foot (which fits quite nicely actually) & realised I was wrong. When you are driving you should be prepared for all situations that may arise, be it a rogue kangaroo to a Mack truck changing lanes, same goes for a rider.

More people need to get on their tredly to experience life again away from the insulated comforts of things like cars (dont get me wrong, I love my CBR1000 & Nissan Patrol).

Al: With regards to the dude turning left, It was my understanding that if the car is in front it has right of way, thats how I treat it anyway. It is only the green lanes where the cylist has absolute right of way. Given that though, the motorist is supposed to give clear room when negotiating a bend/intersection at the same time as a cyclist & also has a responsibilty to do it safely. Correct me if I am wrong.

Pitchka: Can your flame suit handle 3000 degrees C? I hope so as I am warming my oxy/acetylene set up as we speak……..:)

The Axe Man: How many man hours have you lost sitting behind a cyclist?