News

Recruiting experts in
Accountancy & Finance

Cyclists vs dog owners

By Snave81 - 15 November 2011 58

Cyclists vs motorists was so yesterday so why don’t we move on to cyclists vs dog owners.  With dogs being required to be kept on leash when not in designated doggie areas, what options does a cyclist have when dog owners let their off leash dogs run in front of cyclists riding safely and sensibly on bike paths through parks?

– Kick the back end out and bump the dog out of the way?

– Try and jump the dog with/without leaving tread marks on the dogs back?

– Question a male dog owner’s masculinity if they have a small girly dog?

What’s Your opinion?

58 Responses to
Cyclists vs dog owners
The Traineediplomat 8:23 pm 05 Mar 14

Hello I’m a sick horse, well a really sick horse, actually I’m dead, but the good thing is I’m friendly…well masochistic, please flog me….

Postalgeek 11:45 am 05 Mar 14

goody658 said :

JacquieE said :

Oh Get Over It. Yesterday I was walking my dogs along a bike track … one lycra’d boy racer zoomed past. No bell. No warning. The World was his Oyster and it was All About Him. Then, another of the same breed zapped past … chatting on his handless phone (isn’t that an offence??). Now, you don’t need a crystal ball to imagine a young mum, with a toddler and a baby in a stroller … a little winding bit of track, a little rise and dip … toddler toddling … pffffft. Gone. Really, bike riders give me the screaming s&*^s. They think they don’t need to stop & get off the bike to cross a road. They zip across, ignoring motorists and anyone else foolish enough to get in the way. They’re SUPER-CYCLISTS in lycra (only missing the cape, actually). Driving to Uriarra is now made horrendous by hordes of similarly attired cycling enthusiasts, who fail to move to the side of the road & for all intents and purposes are attempting to cause accidents. No, wait, they’re self obsessed brainless oafs … that’s what.

Hysterical much.

Hopefully JacqE will resurrect every cycle thread she can find and entertain us with her rants. God bless the froth.

goody658 10:27 am 05 Mar 14

JacquieE said :

Hysterical much.

JacquieE 8:34 pm 04 Mar 14

Watson 10:55 am 16 Nov 11

Martlark said :

If a dog starts to chase me on my bike. I just stop and give it a good pat. Most dogs just like to chase things and most chasing dogs can run a lot faster than i can ride on twisty bike paths. You’ll just make it worse by riding faster. Wait until owner turns up to grab dog. It’s really annoying trying to grab your dog when he’s chasing someone running away from you. Just stop. They won’t bite.

Are you suggesting to Canberrans to take some responsibility for someone else’s dog??? Shock horror! You will find that most here think that if your dog/child/cat/pot plant poses even the slightest inconvenience to someone else, it should be taken away from you pronto. By being hit by a bull bar with razor wire for example.

But yeah, I’ve been training my new rescue dog and there have been occasions when she follows another dog in the off leash area and it’s really annoying if the other dog owner doesn’t stop to allow me to catch up. Mind you, in the mean time her recall is near perfect and I’d have no problem with walking her near a cycle path or road now.

Martlark 10:24 am 16 Nov 11

Martyn94 9:15 am 16 Nov 11

Just run it down if you think it would have you off if you didn’t. If you don’t think that, what are you narking about: just get out of the way. If you go for it and it’s got the wits it’ll get of the way. If it doesn’t it will probably live anyway. And if it dies you are bombproof if Australian law says what you say it does (which seems incredibly sad if true, but nothing about your aversion to trivial risks would surprise me anymore).

bryansworld 6:50 am 16 Nov 11

Watson said :

00davist said :

bryansworld said :

shadow boxer said :

lol, a fight between the two most self entitled groups in todays society.

——–>

I’ll see myself out

You forgot about motorists….

Motorists
Cyclists
Action Buses
Dog Owners
Pedestrians
Children

Pick the catagories you fit, now, hate the ones you didnt!

Seems that these days racisim is out, so we are all looking for a new way to hate entire sections of society.

There are bad and good drivers, cyclists, pedestrians, etc…

No one catagory is worse than the other another*, everyones just looking to bulls**t their way into a halo.

*Excludes Taxi’s

Also add:
Housing tenants
Druggos and the mentally ill
Cat owners
“Old suburbs” home owners
“New suburbs” home owners
Public school supporters
Private school supporters
Tradies

The list is too big to complete really.

…and people that use apostrophes appropriately.

LSWCHP 8:51 pm 15 Nov 11

Jethro said :

“Question a male dog owner’s masculinity if they have a small girly dog?”

As the male owner of a small girly dog I always feel it should be the other way around. It clearly takes a man comfortable with his masculinity to take a little fluff ball for a walk (with or without pink doggy jacket).

I would be questioning the masculinity of the big ferocious dog owners. Are they trying to compensate for something?

I can only concur. I’m a large unattractive bloke who may often be seen walking a small white furball with a very embarrassing name around the streets of my suburb. My wife says I look “incredibly cute” doing this. I prefer to think I am demonstrating absolute confidence in my ability to deal with any situation. It’s one of those Johnny Cash “A Boy Named Sue” things. Any other interpretation really doesn’t bear thinking about.

spinact 8:42 pm 15 Nov 11

1967 said :

There’s a lovely sheep dog in my area who’s moronic owner refuses to walk on a lead, because he feels that he can control the dog with his voice.
Needless to say, whenever I ride past the dog, who is always keen to play, he sets out to run beside me. Not in an aggressive way, he’s just out for some fun, (I suspect he’s probably one of those dogs that gets locked up in a small backyard all day, bored to death). Now, while I normally stop to give him a pat, and wait for Mr “No lead” to come and grab his coller, occassionally, there will be an outburst of abuse from the owner, directed at both me and the dog.
On these occassions I feel that it’s my duty of care to ensure that such a noble animal gets a good evening run and will cycle off, while talking to the dog as he runs beside me.
The upshot of this is that after realising that yelling and whistling, (at both the dog and me) will do no good, Mr “No Lead” is forced to chase after us both. I would’ve thought that after a couple of impromptu 1 or 2km runs he’d have learnt his lesson……..

Sounds like puppy is looking for a new owner who pats him and takes him for nice long runs

LSWCHP 7:50 pm 15 Nov 11

Regarding option b, jumping dogs is something that is restricted to premises in Fyshwick and Mitchell, and has nothing to do with cycling. Unless I’ve misunderstood you…:-)

Spykler 6:36 pm 15 Nov 11

Deref said :

Carry a large gun. When a dog chases your bike stop, dismount, take out the gun, take careful aim, and shoot the dog’s owner.

The thought crossed my mind as the owner of the Rottweiler that chased me stood there watching and laughing his head off..

phototext 6:14 pm 15 Nov 11

Man…. all this popcorn is gonna make me fat.

puggy 4:20 pm 15 Nov 11

Holden Caulfield said :

basketofcat said :

“Dogs must be on a leash at all times”

Also worth noting when on a shared path: “Cyclists should give way to pedestrians and other users at all times.”

And ” if you are cycling or walking, keep to the left”…and…oh, look, “If you are a pedestrian, keep a look out for cyclists and give them room to pass”

basketofcat 4:17 pm 15 Nov 11

Holden Caulfield said :

basketofcat said :

“Dogs must be on a leash at all times”

Users yes, unleashed dogs, no. Pedestrians also need to be aware of their surroundings and be prepared to move — they can’t force cyclists off the path.

The most flagrant abuse of shared paths must occur on Skyfire days / nights, when the bogans invade LBG’s shore and set up their picnics all over the paths.