Dangerous Bus Driving

H1NG0 14 January 2008 73

Driving down Northbourne to work this morning, I witnessed a massive brainfade involving three ACTION bus drivers.

Heading South in the the left lane, I noticed three busses ahead in my lane. I switched into the middle lane presuming one of the busses would eventually stop to pick up passengers. As the first bus in the line stopped, the bus at the end of the line (3rd bus) quickly switched into the middle lane forcing the cars in front of me to hit their brakes. The second bus in the line decided to pull out as well, forcing the 3rd bus further into the right lane narrowly missing a Toyota Echo.

The ACTION drivers who switched lanes never even thought about hitting the brakes and did this at speed. I doubt they checked their mirrors as there was simply no time. Luckily, there was just enough space in each lane so nobody got hit. The funny thing is, the bus in the right lane had to switch back over all the lanes to make a quick turn left soon after. Why couldn’t they wait the 30 or so seconds it takes for the other bus to pick up the passengers? Insanity.

73 Responses to Dangerous Bus Driving
howdy howdy 4:47 pm 15 Jan 08

People driving cars and vehicles is just far too dangerous a concept. All vehicles should be attached to the ground like a train. You type in where you want to go and your vehicle takes you there safely. There could be sensors everywhere to prevent accidents.

Think about it. It would mean you could even safely drink and drive.

You know why they wont do this??? Loss of revenue. They would rather see us kill ourselves than lose money. Shame.

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 2:52 pm 15 Jan 08

“LOL HC! But surely your good will to all road users doesn’t extend to recumbent cyclists too??”

Bloody hell, of course it doesn’t, they’re road abusers them. 😛

hingo_VRCalaisV6 hingo_VRCalaisV6 11:17 am 15 Jan 08

Or a nuclear warhead launched from space.

Gungahlin Al Gungahlin Al 11:13 am 15 Jan 08

Nothing a lighter and fly spray flame thrower wouldn’t sort out!

caf caf 10:34 am 15 Jan 08

I saw a nest of recumbent cyclists the other day. Scary stuff. Some say that in our climate they can produce “supernests” containing thousands of recumbents.

Gungahlin Al Gungahlin Al 9:15 am 15 Jan 08

PS: yes it is rather easy to reel in some tiddlers here isn’t it? 😉

Heavs Heavs 9:14 am 15 Jan 08

Don’t worry about Big Dave. He’s just going off on his usual redneck rant without reading the full thread.

hingo_VRCalaisV6 hingo_VRCalaisV6 8:50 am 15 Jan 08

BigDave, you may want to re-read this entire thread because you missed the point completely. This isn’t about cars not giving way to the busses, this is about busses making sudden dangerous lane changes with no prior warning. I have no problem with cars giving way to busses, its the law, but I think bus drivers take this for granted and assume people will just get out of the way in every situation.

VicePope VicePope 7:23 am 15 Jan 08

Holden Caulfield – Wanniassa is a fine place with a useful IGA in one centre, a Woolies that does better seafood than most specialists and a pretty good bakery. It also has a High Country meatshop, from which inexpensive and usually well cut bits of dead animal can be obtained for culinary purposes. The Thai restaurant isn’t bad either and Doug Lee is one of the better GPs in town.

It has downsides (the Erindale College vermin who infest the shopping centre during term being one), but a thread about buses is not the place to unleash upon them.

The Jas The Jas 7:15 am 15 Jan 08

@ vandam, if we are talking about Northbourne Ave, there is a bike lane going both directions on the road so it actually is a place for cyclists my friend! I tend to try and stay off the road as much as I can when there is no lane, but stupidly from the governments poor planning, plenty of them just run out and you are forced to merge in to the traffic, such as Ginnenderra Dr near UC.

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 12:25 am 15 Jan 08

VicePope said: “The most recent was the one who charged through a very small roundabout in Wanniassa…”

Good lord man, what stroke of misfortune took you to the depths of Wanniassa? Did your driver take a wrong turn, or were you car jacked from a more fashionable location?

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 12:21 am 15 Jan 08

Haha, cool, I landed a few. The Jas … it was a joke based on the usual motorist v cyclist rants this site tends to host.

As a sign of good will I’ll share my happy bus story from this morning’s commute to work.

I know that buses have right of way when moving out from bus stops, but as today’s discussion has shown it’s kind of nice, or at least polite, if Mr/Ms Bus Driver has the courtesy to check their mirrors before doing so. My rule of thumb is, if the bus driver is indicating then let them go, if not, they’re fair game.

I digress, so on this morning’s commute a bus was parked at a stop letting commuters out. After the driver was all done he/she indicated to move out and I was almost in that no man’s land of being right on the bus’ rear corner, but I did have enough time to back off to allow the bus to move out freely, which I did. However, the driver was kind enough to allow me to pass.

So, like most things in life, for every deadshit bus driver there is most likely at least one with a balanced view on life, love and the universe. Oh, and other road users, of course.

Still, nobody has answered my original question?! 😉

BigDave BigDave 10:44 pm 14 Jan 08

Isn’t it a bit funny how it’s always the bus drivers at fault?? No one ever blames the ignorant Canberra motorist who refuses to give way thus forcing the buses to move out.
My dad’s a driver and I’ve been getting on his bus from when I was a kid.
I can truthfully say that it’s the moronic attitudes and dreadful driving habits of these poeple that are the problem. What’s the problem with giving way to a bus?? Will that extra second kill you?? Why do some people find it impossible to travel behind a bus and will risk everyones’ lives trying to get in front??
As for bus bays, that’s just an excuse so more motorists can NOT give way to the bus!

vandam vandam 10:17 pm 14 Jan 08

Felix,

Thats prob fair enough! The road is not a place where cyclists should be…sorry! A little bike at 15kph verses a car or bus or truck at 60kph+, I’m surprised there hasn’t been a few hit already.

Felix the Cat Felix the Cat 9:23 pm 14 Jan 08

,i.Did they hit any cyclists?

I have been “squeezed” by buses (the ones with one “s”…) on Wells Station Rd going into Mitchell from Gungahlin Drive (before the current roadworks). I was forced onto the footpath on at least two occasions. I was too shocked and upset to get the number of the bus. I suspect it was the same driver as it was the same time, same place on two consecutive mornings. There was no other traffic around, all the driver had to do was take the corner a little wider but no he decided to play “squash the cyclist” instead.

Vic Bitterman Vic Bitterman 9:01 pm 14 Jan 08

A bunch of us play golf regularly, and one of our mob is an Action bus driver.

Last year we did a golf trip to Mulwalwa, we took several cars… my bus driving mate took his car and a couple of us were his passengers for our golfing weekend. Thinking he was a professional driver and all that.

I’ll quite simply say he is a shit house driver, incredibly scary, broke every road rule you could imagine, never sat on the speed limit, failed to give way to pretty much anything else on the road, sudden neck breaking lane changes…. fair dinkum I thought I was going to die. He’s the type of driver who turns his head away from the road to engage in conversation, including people in the back seat….

And to think, he pilots a big orange (maybe green?? dunno) thing around Canberra every day, possibly with you, your loved ones and your kids as his passengers. Someone gave him his bus licence. Scary stuff.

el ......VNBerlinaV8 el ......VNBerlinaV8 8:32 pm 14 Jan 08

GOLD!

astrojax astrojax 8:31 pm 14 Jan 08

let buses pull out…

…and reduce the mini-bus population!

el ......VNBerlinaV8 el ......VNBerlinaV8 8:28 pm 14 Jan 08

Agree with Jas’ comments above. I’m fairly sure Holden Caulfield wasn’t advocating vehicular homicide against cyclists though.

Also agree with VicePope about giving them a wide berth – probably the only effective course of action. They _do_ have right of way, and they sure as hell make the most of it.

My only other suggestion (at a higher level) would be to engineer bus stops in better locations. Countless times I’ve seen a bus pull out from the Treasury bus stop on Commonwealth Avenue (southbound) and the driver have to deliberately cut off two lanes of traffic to shift lanes in peak hour (and just think, if people actually gave way he wouldn’t need to).

The Jas The Jas 7:45 pm 14 Jan 08

“Did they hit any cyclists?”

You could just come out and say you can’t stand cyclists and wish buses would run them down willy nilly you know?

I am a cyclist by the way and although there are a terrible amount of them on the roads with no clue that go through red lights, don’t obey the road rules etc. it’s like motor bike riders, there are plenty of normal law abiding riders but its the idiots that weave in and out of traffic and ride up your ass in your blind spot that leave the impression.

Regardless of that, suggesting that you think it would be ok for a bus to hit and kill (which is what would happen if a bus hit a cyclist more than likely) a cyclist is a rather scary thought don’t you think? I have had my fair share of close calls as a cyclist on Northbourne, all in exactly the same circumstances as the drivers complaining here. Mostly buses pulling out without indicating or pulling over without indicating. Whether you are in a car or riding a bike, whats the difference? Apart from the people in the car have a far better chance of survival. For the record, I have found them to be just as much of a handful whilst driving also.

Region Group Pty Ltd