Dickson Woollies to get an upgrade

Gungahlin Al 5 November 2009 24

Seldom a month goes by without someone on RA expressing dissatisfaction with the Woolworths at Dickson.

So no doubt people will be happy to know that an upgrade is in the works, with the relevant DA lodged with ACTPLA.

Except…the DA indicates they are only jazzing up the external signage. Surely they are going to do something about the internals too? But the accompanying report says nothing about a refit, and specifically rules out any sort of upgrade or intensification of the use.

Tags

What’s Your opinion?

24 Responses to
Dickson Woollies to get an upgrade
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newest
deye 10:52 pm 05 Nov 09

It’s internal refit has been going on for quite some time. There was a previous story about the shipping crates they have out the front. Hopefully the internal refit won’t last too much longer.

bd84 10:55 pm 05 Nov 09

you’re way behind the times, relevant whinging story found here:

The internal refurb must be close to being complete by now..

thomped2 11:40 pm 05 Nov 09

Yes they are almost done refurbing it,
unfortunately they have put in those stupid temperamental DIY checkouts that kick people out of jobs.

Also keep a watch out for woolies they have been stocking less and less of a wide range of products, IE no cheap 3rd party ‘homebrand’ just their select brand and the leading brand.

Felix the Cat 4:33 am 06 Nov 09

They’ve already had a minorish internal fitout, they’ve got rid of the grog section and a bit of a revamp of the fruit and veg area and I think put in some new shelving or maybe just moved the existing shelving.

The fast lanes work quite well there I reckon. I’ve been there a few times and there’s been a lineup going back nearly to the fruit and veg section and I’ve been served in about 5 mins. Better than Gungahlin Woolies.

enrique 6:55 am 06 Nov 09

Old news Al,

Dickson Woolies has been carrying out renovations for several weeks.

magella 7:33 am 06 Nov 09

The upgrade has been going on for weeks, it is internal as well as external. I’ve been avoiding it becase it’s such a shambles inside.

Gungahlin Al 9:31 am 06 Nov 09

Fine. I don’t go there. But what I was alluding to is that North Canberra folk are probably not pleased that it isn’t getting more than just a facelift.

sepi 9:48 am 06 Nov 09

It is actually better then usual in there at the mo. The temporary aisles are much wider, and there are far fewer customers. Except you can’t find anything, cos they are continuously moving everything around.

Gungahlin Al 9:51 am 06 Nov 09

Oh and given not too many people read the DA notices, I though people might be interested…

mcs 12:36 pm 06 Nov 09

Some of the aisles are wider, but some are narrower as well- making it almost impossible for two trolleys to pass. I can’t find anything either sepi, because the refit has meant everything has moved at least about 4 times in the last 6 weeks- really annoying me to say the least.

I like the self serve checkouts- I know they do cost jobs and thats not a good thing, but anything is better then waiting forever i the lineup for the express checkouts.

Gungahlin Al 12:43 pm 06 Nov 09

Only 5 or 6 minutes up the road to Gungahlin folks…
Free parking too. Try it – you might be surprised.

Jivrashia 3:08 pm 06 Nov 09

sepi said :

Exactly.
Wasted 15min looking around for my faithful Preen shirt stain remover. Even the store people were unsure as to its new or temporary home.

Goddamit, where the hell is it??

thomped2 said :

…I think you may have just answered my question. Crap, I’ll have to visit Gungahlin or Belco.

bd84 said :

The internal refurb must be close to being complete by now..

Not bloody quite. I’d stay away from it for a while longer.

grunta123 6:03 pm 06 Nov 09

We have swapped to Coles at Gungahlin. We have been devout Woolyites for years but they have given us the poops. As you say, a couple of mins in the other direction and we have free underground parking and decent aisles.

Ryan 6:10 pm 06 Nov 09

The DA would be to replace the outside signage featuring the old logo, with the one with the new logo.

thomped2 said :

Yes they are almost done refurbing it,
…that kick people out of jobs.

Not true

anonymous gungahlian 6:53 pm 06 Nov 09

Yeah… This has being going on for quite a while. It’s about time Dickson Woolworths gets refurbished though.

b2 10:43 pm 06 Nov 09

The DA for the internal fitout was up months ago. Basically they ripped out the bakery (and bring it all in from off site) and moved the deli + fridges + fruit/veg. the new aisles are actually smaller (in width) than the old ones, so they can fit more in. Plus the addition of the self serve checkouts mentioned. There was also a heap of associated work in the basement.

rob68 11:10 pm 06 Nov 09

I hear you grunta123. We’ve done the same (with a few things from Aldi thrown in).

bd84 11:55 pm 06 Nov 09

My statement of almost finished was an estimate based on the known commencement time and that they would have it done before the Christmas peak, I don’t live on the darkside to go check.

There always has to be whingers, I mean is it really such a surprise that the products aren’t exactly in the right or the same place. or that the aisles aren’t quite the right width while the supermarket is being refurbished? I’m sure you can put up with it for a few months, alternatively go shop somewhere else for a couple of months.

The self serve checkouts don’t put anyone out of a job. It’s a means of allowing people to serve themselves instead of standing in the long line waiting for an operator to serve them because kids these days think that a casual job means show up when and if you like. The only problem is that there should be an IQ test before people can use them.

someoneincanb 9:11 am 07 Nov 09

bd84 said :

The lack of sufficient checkout operators in almost every major supermarket I’ve been in over the past year (regardless of time of day) is due to kids not showing up for their casual job? Here was me blaming company profiteering when I should be pointing my finger at the youth of today. Why are supermarkets fitted out with 12 or 14 checkouts, when there is never more than 3 or 4 in operation at once, even in peak times?

bubzie 4:07 pm 07 Nov 09

Ha, it’s definatly not just kids who dont show up for their casual job… *shakes fist*

Anyway, i’ve been forced into becoming a “Self-serve register attendant” at my work, and i hate it. I wish we just took the darn things away.

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.