Disgusted with ACT Policing

Concerned 11 September 2013 70

I just wanted state my absolute disgust with ACT policing. On Monday 9th September, my daughter’s new car that she’d only had a few weeks was broken into out the front of our house in Calwell.

Someone had popped the window which shattered it so as not to make any noise, they removed the shattered window in one piece and placed it under her car, this caused more that $1,000 damage to her new car with the cost of the replacement window and the cost to have the bent frame around the window reparied. Her boyfriends wallet was the only thing taken from her car (and it wasn’t in plain sight). I called to report this to the police, and I was told they don’t send a patrol for this and gave me a crime report number for her insurance and as far as they were concerned that was that.

That same afternoon my daughter’s boyfriend went door knocking the neighbours to see if anyone had seen or heard anything. This is when we discovered our next door neighbours have a CCTV camera set up at the front of their garage which can partially see our front yard as they’ve had their cars broken into a few times and they offered to have a look a see if they could see anything.

The next afternoon they came over to tell us that they had indeed seen the offender on the camera looking through their car windows with a torch and trying to open their car doors at about 3.30am before moving off in the direction of our place and it wasn’t some young teenager as we had suspected. They then called the police, informed them that they had video of the person that broke into my daughter’s car and the police were not even interested in coming around to take a look. What good are the police these days????

We have this low life piece of scum on video and the police are not one bit interested. It seems that Canberran’s can just walk around breaking into people’s cars and nothing will be done about it. I know in the grand sceme of things this isn’t a big crime, but it is still a crime for which we have video and undeniable evidence and yet the police are happy to just let this person continue walking the streets damaging other people’s hard earned property. Absolutely angry and disgusted is how I am feeling right now and the police wonder why people take matters into their own hands!!!

One very angry Canberran!!!

70 Responses to Disgusted with ACT Policing
Tooks Tooks 9:03 am 12 Sep 13

Aeek said :

Tooks said :

A call taker in Belconnen didn’t dispatch your job to a patrol, so police are lazy and don’t care. Not sure I’m following. Police can’t investigate an incident if it’s written off over the phone by a civilian operator.

You are a known apologist for police incompetence, so no surprise.

Am I? Why is it then that on about a thousand occasions on this site, I’ve recommended people make a complaint to police in relation to incompetence/inadequate service etc? Please explain how that makes me an apologist? And explain how police can be incompetent if they didn’t attend because it wasn’t dispatched.

You, like a lot of people on this site, see a more balanced comment (with actual facts added) devoid of emotive crap and you automatically assume I’m some kind of apologist. Grow up, ffs.

Madam Cholet Madam Cholet 8:50 am 12 Sep 13

Take your concerns to the Minister instead of making written threats on a well known forum.

For the record, I would be disappointed if they said they weren’t interested, but I’m not sure that it’s the case here. They just said they wouldn’t come round to view the footage.

And your next door neighbour sounds like mine with CCTV plastered all over the house. A few in our street seem to have this modern day paranoia. I’m more concerned about my neighbours potential snooping on my property as opposed to his security.

Tooks Tooks 8:48 am 12 Sep 13

Concerned said :

Tooks said :

funny that when my neighbour called he spoke with actual an actual police officer explain that one… It’s ok though I’ll find the bloke myself and when the crime rate for people taking matters into their own hands grows who will the police blame then?????

Firstly, you won’t find the bloke because there’s no evidence, so don’t be silly. But if you want to get done for assault for hitting someone you think broke a window, well…that’s up to you.

The point remains you and your neighbour talked to someone in a call centre and they didn’t pass it on to a patrol. Whether that’s the right call or not I don’t know. In my personal opinion, when people like your neighbour call up and say they may have evidence, then they shouldn’t be fobbed off. While it’s unlikely the cctv would be any use in terms of identifying the offender, it should still be checked out, but that’s just my take on it.

Some people are shit, and it’s a shitty thing to happen (it’s happened to me too – back when people still broke into cars to steal stereos), but the reality of policing is you have about 90,000 people in Tuggeranong and on a Monday night, there’d be two, maybe three patrol cars for that whole area.

Like I said, I don’t know if not sending a patrol is the right call or not (fingerprints on the glass? looking at the cctv to see if it’s useful). Maybe they should’ve and maybe that’s something you should take up with them. But using emotive language, suggesting they are lazy, don’t do anything, don’t care etc, doesn’t really wash when every day on this site alone, there are stories about offenders being arrested for a variety of crimes (both minor and serious – have a look at the law & justice stories on this site for the last week or two) and the AMC is near capacity.

If you’re not happy (and obviously you’re not) then either call to make a complaint or post the CCTV on this site so we can at least have a squizz.

Pitchka Pitchka 8:46 am 12 Sep 13

voytek3 said :

What sort of a moron leaves his wallet in a car? He deserved to have it stolen.

This..
Make it worth my while next time, only had a measly $20 bucks and 6 condoms…

Concerned Concerned 6:28 am 12 Sep 13

Tooks said :

FioBla FioBla 12:48 am 12 Sep 13

I need the old blade runner, I need your magic.

BimboGeek BimboGeek 11:53 pm 11 Sep 13

Car breakins and theft are organised crime in Canberra. I’ve lived in a complex (this is 5 years ago now) where car thefts were frequent and on one occasion over a dozen cars were stolen from the supposedly secure carpark. Body corporate refused to discuss improving security and police refused to attend for several hours, eventually sending someone out that afternoon after we all threatened to get very nasty about it.

They own the police and there’s nothing you can do about it.

I’ve even observed a handful of car thieves in the act. My friends and I thought we could scare them away but they didn’t care, they just kept at it until the car was stolen and driven away. We reported it to the police but were never asked to give a statement or testify in court… Guess why.

Aeek Aeek 11:37 pm 11 Sep 13

Tooks said :

You are a known apologist for police incompetence, so no surprise.

c_c™ c_c™ 11:36 pm 11 Sep 13

Aeek said :

Concerned said :

milkman said :

Post the footage on youtube under the title “$1000 reward for this person’s right ear, attached or separate”.

I may just have to the neighbour to make me a copy and do just that

Maybe, also to your insurance company. They may frown on our police’s willingness to cost them money.

They might, but first the insurer will (if they haven’t already noted on the policy) note that the vehicle wasn’t garaged. That will then make the insured person’s risk assessment higher, and the cost of their policy higher too. And because it’s a not at fault, but 3rd party unidentified incident, most insurers will charge you excess and doc your no-claim rating too.

Insurers, like police, want people to take some self responsibility.

It seems pretty obvious that they skipped another vehicle and did this one because there were goodies in it, despite your claim they weren’t visible. Now I’d rather not have to pay to have my windows replaced because someone broke in looking for a wallet or a phone, just because some people do leave those things around.

EvanJames EvanJames 11:26 pm 11 Sep 13

voytek3 said :

What sort of a moron leaves his wallet in a car? He deserved to have it stolen.

No, he didn’t.

EvanJames EvanJames 11:24 pm 11 Sep 13

My car was broken into a few weeks back, at work. They punched in the passenger’s side door lock. Nothing valuable was in view, it’s an old, scruffy car. They opened the glovebox and ashtray drawers and yep, nothing to steal. Nada, zip.

Now I can’t open my passengers side door from the outside, or wind the window down. No one even thought of telling the police, I sure didn’t. What’s the point? They don’t care, theft is a free for all these days. I’m surprised more people don’t become theives, they might as well.

Tooks Tooks 10:56 pm 11 Sep 13

sepi sepi 9:28 pm 11 Sep 13

This sort of police response (eg – no response) has been my experience of Canberra policing also.

Yet in SA people whose cars are burgled get the police out doing fingerprints etc.

Aeek Aeek 9:09 pm 11 Sep 13

Concerned said :

milkman said :

I may just have to the neighbour to make me a copy and do just that

Ooh, and isn’t there a TV program ?

Concerned Concerned 9:05 pm 11 Sep 13

wildturkeycanoe said :

So, cops aren’t interested in burglaries, the courts let drink drivers off with puny court costs and they leave all the speed cameras to TAMS to operate. What kind of law enforcement is that? I am absolutely disgusted as well and really think that we should start petitioning the government to set up a publicly funded vigilante group to roam our streets at night, armed with baseball bats and tasers. Deputize some law abiding citizens who are protected by the law from prosecution due to the use of excessive force in making a citizen’s arrest.

Well I’m certainly happy to join in with my newly purchased baseball bat… It seems the police spend more time in maccas drive throughs than they do fighting crime and catching these low life pieces of scum so it seems us citizens must do their job for them

Concerned Concerned 9:00 pm 11 Sep 13

CraigT said :

c_c™ said :

There are thousands of vehicle theft offences every year in the ACT, …

…but there aren’t anywhere near thousands of individual offenders.

There are thousands of offences because there is fuckall being done about the small number of crims that plague us.

Viweing the footage could allow the cops to identify the suspect. A quick warrant and search later could turn up the wallet.

But if they did that, crime would drop, and they’d do themselves out of a job. This is why the vast majority of policing in the ACT involves sitting behind a desk inventing excuses to ignore crimes rather than getting out there and catching robbers.

This is exactly my point… It’s not thousand of people breaking into cars… It’s a few low lives who have learnt they can get away with it…. Meanwhile they roam around damaging other peoples hard earned belongings… This guy wouldn’t want to meet me in my street again!

voytek3 voytek3 8:55 pm 11 Sep 13

What sort of a moron leaves his wallet in a car? He deserved to have it stolen.

Concerned Concerned 8:52 pm 11 Sep 13

milkman said :

I may just have to the neighbour to make me a copy and do just that

c_c™ c_c™ 7:58 pm 11 Sep 13

Well I don’t know, they seem to do okay for lazy desk jockeys,

From the relatively minor: http://the-riotact.com/gordon-losers-piling-up-the-offences/114846 to some more serious things: http://the-riotact.com/belconnen-child-assaulter-nabbed/114577

wildturkeycanoe wildturkeycanoe 7:54 pm 11 Sep 13