Community

Canberra's experts selling valuables
150,000+ buyers nationally

The Best Doctors in Canberra

145

Whether you only visit a GP when you’re struck down by the flu, or you have an ongoing or chronic medical condition that requires more frequent check-ups, finding a doctor you can trust is important.

A good GP (or general practitioner) does more than diagnose illnesses and write medical certificates. They provide specialist referrals, monitor your progress, keep an eye out for problems that you may not have noticed, and play an important role in your overall health and wellbeing.

But what qualities make a great GP, and where can you find the best in Canberra? Let’s take a closer look.

What makes a good and reliable doctor?

It can be helpful to keep the following in mind when choosing a new GP.

• Accreditation. Your chosen GP should be up-to-date with the latest developments in general practice. Look for a GP that is a fellow of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP), which indicates they have completed special training and professional development. A practice accredited against RACGP standards is also ideal.
  • Personality and approach. Look for a GP whose personality is compatible with your own. You might prefer someone who is calm, clear and warm compared to a doctor with a more matter-of-fact, direct approach.
  • Billing options. If you don’t want any out of pocket expenses, find a practice that bulk bills patients. For more in-depth consultations that don’t feel rushed, however, you may be better off choosing a practice where you pay a private fee.
  • Type of practice. A smaller neighbourhood practice might suit you if it’s close to home or work, and you appreciate seeing the same GP at each visit. Larger practices, on the other hand, may offer extra services under one roof (like pathology or x-rays) have extended opening hours and a wider range of appointment times because more doctors are available.
  • Thorough and attentive to detail. Your chosen GP should be well-versed in a range of medical complaints and procedures. They should be happy to work through different tests and treatments until you find what works for you, and they shouldn’t mind explaining symptoms, tests and treatments.

The top doctors in Canberra – according to you

RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.

To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.

Your experience with doctors in Canberra

Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.

Have you had experience with any of the doctors listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.

145 Responses to The Best Doctors in Canberra
Genie Genie 7:24 pm 22 Apr 13

Dr Thew at Ginninderra Medical Centre is awesome… She’s next to impossible to get in to see. Actually not even sure she’s still there.

Also the West Belconnen coop have amazing doctors, they usually come over from England for 12 months so don’t expect to be able to constantly see the same one. Pretty sure the yearly fee is only about $30. Doesn’t matter how many times you go or what tests you need. That’s all you pay for the whole year.

Ecklim Ecklim 5:47 pm 22 Apr 13

shirty_bear said :

My experience of bulk-billing GPs is that all they’re really good at is writing out doctor’s certificates; if you go to one and you don’t already know what’s wrong with you, you’re in trouble.

Ranji Pereira in Gungahlin is terrific. She’s invariably booked out a week in advance, will be running any number of hours late by the end of the day, and will lighten your pocket by $35-odd. Worth every cent.

Thanks, I didn’t realise that a doctors appointment could only be $35 🙂 I would be happy to pay that for a good doctor.

shirty_bear shirty_bear 4:15 pm 22 Apr 13

gentoopenguin gentoopenguin 9:27 pm 21 Apr 13

Dr Philip Toua at Watson Medical Centre is really lovely. I know he’s not a female doctor but he helped me with post-natal stuff and couldn’t have been more caring or attentive.

There’s also a female doctor there, Dr Kelly I think. Haven’t been to her though so can’t say either way. They bulk bill.

Ecklim Ecklim 9:16 pm 21 Apr 13

Thanks for the input. Im really just after a more professional doctor who may be able to provide some insight or referral if they are unable to help.

Pork Hunt Pork Hunt 8:06 pm 21 Apr 13

remains said :

it might help if you tell what the test results/condition are as some doctors may know what it is and some may not

Some doctors may indeed know but the rest of us don’t need to…

remains remains 4:29 pm 21 Apr 13

Blues1 Blues1 4:20 pm 21 Apr 13

Dr Sylvia West Belconnen Coop.

Genie Genie 4:21 pm 19 Mar 13

Watson said :

There’s a doctor at the Florey practice whose name I always forget (and he is not on the website) but the couple of times I have seen him he has been excellent. Anglo guy, mid 50s, with a beard. I was shocked when he actually examined me the first time I saw him. Couldn’t remember the last time a doctor had taken the time to examine me. And he had some really useful info and suggestions and took the time to answer my questions and brainstorm possible causes of pretty uncommon symptoms. And then referred me for some tests which I never had done because I am the worst patient in the world.

Though if I just need a note for work because of a common cold or similar, it always brightens my morning to get told I have an appointment with Dr Hu there.

I think you’re describing Dr Berenson. He’s an amazing doctor but only locums at Florey. He was my family doctor for about 15 years before be decided to retire. I was excited to find out he’s sporadically at Florey. He’s very old school and always thoroughly examines you. Loves to chat and most of the time doesn’t even need to look up your medical records as he knows them off by heart for his regulars.

Watson Watson 3:14 pm 19 Mar 13

KT67 KT67 2:21 pm 19 Mar 13

YourGP at Lyneham, both Doctor Deerys are great.

Ben_Dover Ben_Dover 11:05 am 19 Mar 13

You don’t want a Northside doctor in Sydney then?

barbiekini barbiekini 10:17 am 19 Mar 13

Dr. Ana Reodica at the Gungahlin Medical Centre is excellent – very caring and very thorough, and great with the follow up phone calls. Even staff at the blood testing places rave about her.

Starrie Starrie 10:06 am 19 Mar 13

I use Dr Abeya at North Canberra Family Practice. I cannot recommend her highly enough. She sometimes runs late but it is worth it.

She seems to be up to date, listens to me, actually cares and when I became sick with an illness with vague symptoms that could have been almost anything, she kept looking and pushing specialists until a solution was found, rather than just trying to fob it off as nothing or being in my mind. She is also very proactive in following up and in arranging for specialists and other treatments where required (and in getting me seen by a specialist quickly rather than the 6 month wait by calling up herself and insisting that it was urgent).

BTW, I am not employed by them or anything, I just think she is the best doctor I have ever had.

schmeah schmeah 9:26 am 19 Mar 13

I used to go to go to the Ainslie practice at the shops, but they’re impossible to get into unless you can predict your illness 7 days out, their administrative were occasionally abrupt and I got sick of waiting over an hour (sometimes close to two) for my scheduled appointments to finally be called. I now go to Florey (even though I live in Dickson); they have a walk in facility, pathology collection and an excellent female doctor. Follow up appointments are also bulk billed (though this is probably doctor specific, rather than an official policy of the centre).

MrForthright MrForthright 9:42 pm 15 Aug 12

Watson is being unfairly criticised. The so-called trained professionals someone referred to are not always very professional. Ever been prescribed a medication that doesn’t work? So you go back and say that, and the response is “take another course” or “double the dose and keep going”. Pure laziness. Eventually you are so sick they ask the question “have you ever had this before?”. “Yes”. Oh. How many times have I been mis-diagnosed? Several. And do they ever ask if you have ever had scans or x-rays or particular tests and could they see the relevant results. No. And my Dad was in the Pharmaceutical industry for 50 years. He said doctors have shares in pharmaceutical companies. Hence the over-prescribing which costs the nation a bomb and also has the desirable effect of getting you out of the consulting room quickly.

Chronic Chronic 6:04 pm 16 Oct 11

There is a paediatric specialist who comes down from Goulburn once a week, Dr Ros Davis at Majura Clinic at Dickson. She also is a GP. She is on the dual disability team in Goulburn. My daughter has multiple disabilities and I find her very good. She is very practical and down to earth. She does refer patients to other specialists.

billyboy2 billyboy2 7:20 pm 20 Sep 11

I’ve also had a lot of trouble finding a good Dr, even changed to a Dr on a friend’s recommendation but that particular Dr didn’t live up to the recommendation.

I say good on you for persisting to find a Dr who will get you the help you need.

Last year I was seriously ill and I had a gut feeling it was one particular illness but despite repeated trips to the Dr my symptoms were dismissed as something minor. I got sicker and sicker but the Dr wouldn’t listen. Eventually, to humour me, the Dr suggested some over the counter medication that did nothing for the problem. I cannot describe how sick I was. I could barely function (ie, could barely stand or walk and breathing was becoming difficult) and I would go days without being able to eat, I was losing weight like you wouldn’t believe. I went to see another Dr and was dismissed again. Still losing weight and still so incredibly sick I went to another Dr who reluctantly gave me a script for something a bit stronger than the over the counter stuff but that didn’t do much. Finally I found a Dr that listened to me and ran some tests and that Dr arranged for me to get into a specialist urgently – ie within days of my visit. The specialist saw me and knew exactly what the problem was, which is what I felt sure it was, and was put on the right medication. Finally I was able to function again and could return to work at last.

I went through months of hell and if I hadn’t ‘shopped around’ for the right Dr I don’t know how much longer my body would have taken it.

Watson Watson 1:47 pm 20 Sep 11

emj said :

I was interested in this post as I too am trying to find a good doctor and am finding it quite difficult. My heart goes out to you Watson, and good luck in searching for answers.
It amazes me how many people judge others so easily without knowing the circumstances and are more interested in their own opinions despite being asked to respect your emotional state at this difficult time. Take comfort in that many people haven’t read your intial post properly – they are quick to say that you are self diagnosing when it is obvious it is the opposite and that you are simply trying to see a specialist who is prepared to do the research and you trust will look after your daughter. You have taken responsibility for your daughters health and I applaude you.
Good luck.

Thanks. I have indeed not made a diagnosis at all. It is the journey to get to an evidence based diagnosis which is proving to be difficult and frustrating and in the mean time I feel like a crap parent for letting my child suffer from the symptoms she is experiencing. Which obviously aren’t life threatening but are affecting her day to day life significantly.

I can give you a list of doctors you should avoid? 😉 Or a list of doctors that are perfect if you really only want a prescription or a note for work.

emj emj 7:25 am 20 Sep 11

Good luck.

Copyright © 2020 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.