Dog attacked a roo in Ainslie this morning

By Masquara - 21 June 2013 48

A little after 8 this morning a solid largeish black dog was chasing a kangaroo from O’Connell Street park area toward the Ainslie shops – the roo (a very large grey) slipped and fell heavily on the road in front of my car, in Cox Street, and the dog bit its hindquarter. Roo managed to get up again and went on toward Wakefield Gardens with the dog continuing to attack it.

It happened too quickly to take a photo.

The dog was some kind of very heavyset probable crossbreed (I can’t find the identical dog through a google image search), mostly black with some white around the neck. It was very upsetting to see.

If anyone knows which reprobate owns this dog, please report it.

It could be a child being attacked next time.

What’s Your opinion?

48 Responses to
Dog attacked a roo in Ainslie this morning
poetix 8:19 am 24 Jun 13

Tony4PM said :

There’s no place in suburbia for dogs. Dirty, slobbery, dangerous things that leave turds everywhere. A condition of ownership should be a minimum of 5 acres. Small dogs in suburbia maybe, on the proviso that they are compulsorily and permanently silenced so those of us who don’t have to have a dumb animal to be master of to placate our inferiority complexes don’t have to listen to the incessant dumb yapping.

Dumb yapping, but no dog is implicated.

Sandman 11:18 pm 23 Jun 13

Tony4PM said :

What he said.

Tony4PM 9:19 pm 23 Jun 13

Masquara 4:02 pm 23 Jun 13

FioBla said :

No mention of incompetent Labor in this post. Can only assume that Masquara’s account has been hacked.

Pointless online stalking …

GardeningGirl 3:23 pm 22 Jun 13

I happened across an interesting article about this very subject. http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/blogs/four-legs-good/8758609/The-prey-drive

bundah 1:04 pm 22 Jun 13

Aha I get it now,this is the new method of culling roo’s surreptitiously adopted by Mayor Ratten and in the secret files it’s referred to as ‘Unleash the BEAST’.

poetix 11:15 am 22 Jun 13

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

Masquara said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

Masquara said :

Based purely on google image search, I would say the dog had something along the lines of pitbull and something along the lines of rottweiler in it. It had a massive head and jaw.

You do realise how many different breeds of dogs you just described, right?

And it had a very thick neck. It was a truly nasty looking dog. Mind you, of course, I’d have described it very differently if I’d spotted it trying to unseat a cyclist …

Again, all anecdotal.

I think poodles and Pomeranians are nasty looking.

I grew up with Great Danes. Huge heads and huge necks. Would chase down a kangaroo in a second but at the same time would let me and my brother ride on its back and if the neighbour hood kids were around they used to be terrified and hide in the bedroom until the kids left.

Also one particularly huge male would love nothing more than to stop and sniff the flowers(so annoying to take for a walk).

I agree that Great Danes are wonderful but disagree that poodles (the big ones) are nasty looking. The haircuts are not their choice. But what I really want is a cross between a pitbull and a poodle. Don’t steal its pretty pink collar…Just not a good idea.

I love how a thread about a dog attacking a roo turns into a discussion of how great dogs are. Because they are.

Mr Evil 11:01 am 22 Jun 13

Obviously Austin and Cyan are having trouble keeping their ‘playful’ Bull Mastiff cross, Whitlam, in the yard because they can’t afford to fix their fences at the moment, due to having to spend so much money heating their their $950 000 fibro bungalow with an EER of -53…….but their children Tristan, Angelina, Montannah and Noah just adore living there in Ainslie, so it wouldn’t make sense to move somewhere warmer and more affordable.

Masquara, you should have sped up and left a nice tyre print across the dog’s torso.

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 10:54 am 22 Jun 13

breda said :

“Dogs rarely will kill wildlife, while cats do it all over town on a daily basis.”

Errr, ever seen the results when a pack of dogs visits a paddock of sheep and lambs? Cute little puppy-wuppies they are not. When they can’t get sheep, they will kill and eat anything else they can find, including wildlife.

As for dogs and roos, a friend and I were walking his miniature dachshund on Mt Taylor one morning. The dog detected a roo and was after it like a rocket (you’d be surprised how fast a dachshund can move – they were bred as hunting dogs). Needless to say, the roo outpaced him in a few bounds and was gone.

Outside a confined space, a dog has Buckley’s of catching a healthy roo. Even if it did miraculously catch up, it risks being disembowelled by a cranky roo’s big toe.

No harm, no foul, IMO.

I did not say it never happens, I said dogs kill far less wildlife than cats.

breda 6:54 am 22 Jun 13

No harm, no foul, IMO.

Historygeek 12:22 am 22 Jun 13

A Ranger explained to me once while I was out walking my dog in a reserve that they are not anti dog at all (infact he had a number of rescue dogs of his own) but there are reasons for the ‘dog on lead’ rules in the Nature Reserves. He was saying that the nicest of dogs can get carried away with the preditor/pray drive thing and take off after a mob of roo’s. Whilst they may not catch or even intend to catch a roo they cause such panic in the mob that the mothers often throw the joeys or others get tangled in fences and worst of all they chase mobs out onto the major roads that usually surround these reserves and then the innevitable often happens. I hadn’t even considered these things prior to that and since then I always keep mine on lead.

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 10:22 pm 21 Jun 13

Masquara said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

Masquara said :

You do realise how many different breeds of dogs you just described, right?

Again, all anecdotal.

I think poodles and Pomeranians are nasty looking.

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 10:18 pm 21 Jun 13

Pork Hunt said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

Comparing cats and dogs, and I apologise if those seems harsh, but comparing cats and dogs is effing retarded.

Anecdotal evidence, does not win a argument and certainly does not rank on scientific stats.

I’d like a source for that indiscriminate comma use…

LOL I WIN BECOZ OM ILLITERATE

fabforty 9:45 pm 21 Jun 13

Thumper said :

Oh I agree completely.

I mean, when was the last time a domestic house cat tore a child to pieces?

Masquara 9:29 pm 21 Jun 13

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

Masquara said :

You do realise how many different breeds of dogs you just described, right?