Don Furner embarrassed to be a Canberran.

johnboy 5 May 2011 37

The SMH reports that despite all the Raiders have put their fans through in the last nine months they’re not happy with fan behaviour.

The car of a high-profile Canberra Raiders player has been vandalised as the NRL club’s boss Don Furner says he is embarrassed to be a Canberran following reports of abusive behaviour by fans towards players, families and even the club’s ballboys and cheergirls.

The CEO of the team that made Canberra globally famous for its lax animal sex laws is embarrased to be a Canberran?

UPDATE: LeagueHQ reports that the car was Matt Orford’s Audi.

37 Responses to Don Furner embarrassed to be a Canberran.
RedDogInCan RedDogInCan 9:57 am 05 May 11

RedDogInCan said :

Erg0 said :

As a Canberran who cares not a whit about the Raiders’ form, I resent Mr Furner’s attempt to link Canberrans as a whole with the behaviour of his club’s “supporters”.

There, I fixed that for you.

Dang, the comment preview allows strikethrough tags but they don’t show in the submitted comment. The words “the behaviour of” should have been crossed out.

RedDogInCan RedDogInCan 9:53 am 05 May 11

Erg0 said :

There, I fixed that for you.

OutragedOne OutragedOne 9:41 am 05 May 11

WTF ‘Embarrassed to be a Canberra’ – Furner you are a tool… 1 out of 400,000 people did this and you insult the entire Canberra district… What a joke! No wonder people are fickle Raiders supporters when they are led by an absolute toolbag of a coach.. 0-7 yeah why hasn’t he been fired yet???

mcs mcs 9:31 am 05 May 11

keepitup said :

Sleaz274 said :

Well rumour around the streets is that a rather rude aggressive fan made a rather big idiot of himself by confronting and abusing Furner’s wife after the game and in front of her child as well, scaring them both quite badly.

It was probably the same dickhead sitting in front of me who got absolutely drunk on $5.80 per can VB, and with his wife and 3 kids looking on in horror proceeded to shout disgusting insults at the cheergirls as they walked past. Where was the Responsible Service of Alcohol?

I don’t understand why you would shout insults at the cheergirls…. surely they were the only ones on the weekend worthy of getting cheered at.

Thumper Thumper 8:38 am 05 May 11

When the going gets tough, the tough piss off and support another team.

georgesgenitals georgesgenitals 7:57 am 05 May 11

Calamity said :

Erg0 said :

dr phil dr phil 6:24 am 05 May 11

And next year when we are on top of the ladder they will be washing there cars, getting there wifes flowers and buying the cheer-girls drinks.

Now lets dig deep to find crap on the bulldogs….

BerraBoy68 BerraBoy68 11:57 pm 04 May 11

Holden Caulfield said :

Sleaz274 said :

…Good teams stick together and support each other through a bad patch. Fans should do the same. If you want to only go for a winning side every week start barracking for the Magpies or Arsenal.

Arsenal! That’s actually quite funny, are you taking that show on the road?

Careful HC, as I dyed in the wool Gooner, raised on the terraces at Highbury, I take exception to your remark, as cutting (but accurate) as it may currently be:)

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 10:23 pm 04 May 11

Sleaz274 said :

Arsenal! That’s actually quite funny, are you taking that show on the road?

keepitup keepitup 7:31 pm 04 May 11

Sleaz274 said :

BerraBoy68 BerraBoy68 5:47 pm 04 May 11

Wow! I never thought I’d have something in common with Furner or any Raider… I’m embarrassed he’s a Canberran too!

Seriously, get a grip Furner and stop lumping all of us in with those criticising you and your teams performance (ironically, they are your fans!). Most of us couldn’t give a toss about you or your team. After all your player have done in the past in giving your club such a great name (do you remember Carny and the dog abuser) I think you’d better lay off on those of us who are ordinary law abiding citizens.

Calamity Calamity 5:35 pm 04 May 11

Erg0 said :

The_Bulldog The_Bulldog 5:07 pm 04 May 11

I absolutely condemn the behaviour of the minority of clowns who think it’s okay to abuse cheerleaders. That is all.

Seriously though – when else have footy players had a dose of their own medicine? How many members of the public are fed up with the disgraceful behaviour of some footballers? Do we, then, feign embarassment for being sports fan? I’m not advocating this poor behaviour by any means whatsoever, but seriously, you can’t tar all Canberrians with the same brush.

I get the intent – but a poor choice of words Mr Furner.

LSWCHP LSWCHP 5:06 pm 04 May 11

I had my car vandalised by some arsehats near the Belco Labor club last year, and I was deeply disappointed that Mr Furner didn’t spring to my defence at the time.

The sooner these overpaid underperforming boofheads curl up and die, the better off we’ll all be. Same goes for the Brumbies.

Sleaz274 Sleaz274 5:05 pm 04 May 11

Security and police were asked to attend in the stadium and had to remove the guy, I’m not sure about charges being laid.

Obviously that and a few other incidents have got to Furner. Good teams stick together and support each other through a bad patch. Fans should do the same. If you want to only go for a winning side every week start barracking for the Magpies or Arsenal.

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 3:51 pm 04 May 11

Maybe he just saw the latest video from the BrumbiesMediaCentre.

Erg0 Erg0 3:50 pm 04 May 11

Caractacus Potts Caractacus Potts 3:44 pm 04 May 11

Mungos eh, little dickenses!

Chop71 Chop71 3:09 pm 04 May 11

I don’t see how smashing a car is going to make them play any better.

Mister Evil Breakfast Mister Evil Breakfast 3:03 pm 04 May 11

Those bastard ballboys. Soft in defence and completely useless.

Seriously Donald (you don’t mind if I call you Donald, right?), I’m a smidge embarrassed that the Raiders are Canberran too.

Copyright © 2020 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.
the-riotact.com | riotact.com.cn | aboutregional.com.au | b2bmagazine.com.au | thisiscanberra.com