[First filed: September 11, 2008 @ 09:59
Second filing: September 11, 2008 @ 15:44]
I’m sure JB is onto this but the SMH is reporting that a man is being questioned this morning after two people were murdered and their bodies left inside a burning Canberra house, police say.
Firecrews were called to a blaze in Raine Place at Downer about 10.30pm yesterday where the bodies of a man and woman were found.
Police arrested a 35-year-old man at 2.15am on Sutton Road.
ED – Holden Caulfield had this to say on the subject:
- ABC radio and online are reporting news of a suspected double murder in Downer last night. A 35-year-old man was apprehended by Police on Sutton Road and is now in custody. He is being questioned about the fire in Raine Place, Downer, which claimed the lives of a man and a woman who were inside the house. No charges have been laid at this point.
Are there any nearby residents who can add to this story?
And Jennybel75 had this to say:
- The Crimes is reporting on an apparent murder and arson that was perpetrated in Downer last night. The police aprehended an alleged suspect last night on Sutton Road. I’m sure we’ll hear more about the events surrounding this as time goes on.
UPDATED: A trip to Raine Place today will get you mobbed by local media desperate for a local resident to interview.
And the AFP have got their media release online.
- ACT Policing is investigating the alleged murder of two people in a Downer home around 10.30pm yesterday (September 10).
ACT Fire Brigade attended Raine Place after a report of a fire at the location. An unidentified male and female were located in the premises deceased.
Police attended the scene and determined the circumstances to be suspicious.
A male was identified by police as a suspect and was located in his vehicle on Sutton Road in the ACT around 2.15am today (September 11). Sutton Road will remain closed whilst police search the area for evidence.
The 35-year-old male was arrested and will face the ACT Magistrates Court later today.
Police are appealing for any witnesses who may have seen suspicious persons or activity in the Downer area to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000, or via the Crime Stoppers website on www.act.crimestoppers.com.au.
ANOTHER UPDATE: Unconfirmed gossip is that one of the victims is a hard man in the local biker scene. We’re also hearing that Senator Kate Lundy lives just around the corner from Raine Pl (as did I a few years ago).
FURTHER UPDATE: The ABC has more on where the investigation is up to with the accused facing charges tomorrow.
The tale continues: The CT are informing us that one of the victims was Straun Thomas Bolas, 42. The other is an unidentified woman. The bikie link raised here first is also confirmed with the CT saying he’s ex of the Black Uhlans.
And if things weren’t bad enough we’re now being asked to stay calm!
- The head of the Territory Investigations Group, Detective Superintendent Michael Kilfoyle, said police were investigating whether there had been a ”wider reason” for the killings…
But he called for calm in the community and assured residents that the city was a safe place to live despite the recent spate of killings.
More from our well placed snouts:
- “the suspect is the son of the older brother, so the nephew [allegedly] did in his uncle”
One for the road: The AFP’s latest media release confirms some background. Also The Australian is all over the story with the news that one Scott Alexander McDougall, 35, of Queanbeyan has been charged and did not apply for bail.
- “The burly 35-year-old appeared in Canberra Magistrates Court, barefoot with a shaved head, wearing white pants and a fleece. He did not apply for bail.
Rooly truly the last update on this thread: New CT star journo “Staff Writers” is trying to make the case for this being part of an Underbelly style gangland war.