Drink and Drive, a call to arms?

johnboy 5 June 2012 59

drink and drive

Jacqui’s asking questions about the Drink & Drive sign on Barry Drive.

now maybe it’s only me that thinks this but every time i drive past this I think that it is a form of encouragement to ‘drink and drive’.

surely it should be DON’T DRINK & DRIVE, ITS A CRIME

not

DRINK & DRIVE, ITS A CRIME [! go for it..]

On Barry Drive near the Uni heading into town.

Got an image of Canberra you want to share with the world? Email it in to images@the-riotact.com .

59 Responses to Drink and Drive, a call to arms?
1 2 3 Next »
poetix 12:19 pm 05 Jun 12

Now I’m wasting time thinking of road safety messages vaguely in the style of Canturf.

Lay down rubber…for more black marks

Help me..

pikiran_keruh 11:58 am 05 Jun 12

Punctuation: The difference between knowing your s*** and knowing you’re s***

poetix 11:53 am 05 Jun 12

They’re just drumming up business. Commit a crime; keep your local police officer busy. Or should that be: COPS R TOPS..SCULL DON’T STOP

DRV N TEXT U B NEXT is my favourite too; the desperate attempt to be cool, like a parent trying to ‘keep up’ with their kids. Tragic.

Spiral 11:33 am 05 Jun 12

In Victoria they have signs that read something like “Slowing down never killed anyone”.

On the contrary, slowing down extremely quickly is the cause of many road deaths. Stupid Victorian Government.

Bails 11:28 am 05 Jun 12

nsn said :

It’s not just you, Jacqui. I’ve thought the same thing. But at least this sign vaguely makes sense. Unlike some of the others in the series:
– “Alcohol and Speed Dead Ahead” – what does that even mean? Although it did give rise to some excellent, if short-lived, graffiti: two tombstones with ‘Alcohol’ and ‘Speed’
– “Drink Drive, Die in a Ditch” – I think I understand the message, but “die in a ditch”? Huh?
– “Thank You For Not Speeding” – with the “Not” in red, for some reason
– and the favourite “Drive N Text U B Next” – even in txtspk, that makes no sense at all.

By the way, Johnboy, I think you mean a call to action, not a call to arms.

I remember studying positive reinforcement with regards to traffic signs during my Psych degree. Apparently there is a noticeable increase in compliance with speeding signs when they ‘Thank you for not speeding’, rather than ‘don’t speed or else!’

There’s a whole science behind the way they’re written, coloured and layed out.

Holden Caulfield 11:27 am 05 Jun 12

I see your “DRINK & DRIVE, ITS A CRIME [! go for it..]” and raise you with a:

“Federally funded black spot project”

Solidarity 11:18 am 05 Jun 12

I don’t like the speed and alcohol dead ahead sign, it gets my hopes up, then I end up dissapointed.

JimCharles 11:17 am 05 Jun 12

Dilandach said :

A little better than that stupid ass sign that’s on parkes way. “Drink and Drive die in a ditch”

Like its been written by a drunk 4 year old.

Somebody told me they WERE all written by schoolchildren as part of an educational initiative to produce memorable slogans? Let’s face it…it worked.

Primal 11:17 am 05 Jun 12

And why does the slogan at the bottom need quote marks?

Mr Gillespie 11:14 am 05 Jun 12

Keijidosha said :

This sign isn’t nearly as confounding as “DRV N TXT, U B NEXT”. You be next what?

Anyone who “txts” writing like that not only cnt spk ngrsh prply, they also sound like a 5-year-old who is only just learning to write. Do that while driving, and you really, really are asking for trouble!!

jdazzle 11:11 am 05 Jun 12

actually i think regarding tailgate-ing – i think it is ‘DONT TAILGATE KANGAROOS 2 KM AHEAD but id have to verify. A little bit more plausible then, the alternative reading.

p1 11:10 am 05 Jun 12

jdazzle said :

regarding ‘DRV N TXT, U B NEXT’ i always think ‘DRV N TEXT, CB NEXT’ ie that texting is soon to be over-taken by the more modern CB radio…it’s a technology advertisment courtesy of the Govt. laughing. again. oh no.

I just start humming UB40.

p1 11:10 am 05 Jun 12

Man: Uh, sir, you can’t operate a boat under the influence of alcohol.
Homer Simpson: Oh, that sounds like a wager to me!

jdazzle 11:05 am 05 Jun 12

jdazzle 10:59 am 05 Jun 12

i think the funniest one that is apparently across the border says”dont tailgate kangaroos ahead’ which can be read as ‘dont tailgate kangaroos, ahead’. ha ha ha. im laughing. thanks to papa for that one.

nsn 10:56 am 05 Jun 12

– “Thank You For Not Speeding” – with the “Not” in red, for some reason

By the way, Johnboy, I think you mean a call to action, not a call to arms.

CrocodileGandhi 10:54 am 05 Jun 12

I also enjoy ‘DRIVE AND TEXT, U B NEXT’. Always good when the Government is getting down with the kids.

Dilandach 10:53 am 05 Jun 12

Like its been written by a drunk 4 year old.

Keijidosha 10:52 am 05 Jun 12

deye 10:51 am 05 Jun 12

Most of those road safety signs can be taken to have the opposite or a different meaning.

I do find it funny when visitors from interstate see some of them for the first time, particularly the drive n text you be next one

1 2 3 Next »

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.