Drink and Drive, a call to arms?

johnboy 5 June 2012 59

drink and drive

Jacqui’s asking questions about the Drink & Drive sign on Barry Drive.

now maybe it’s only me that thinks this but every time i drive past this I think that it is a form of encouragement to ‘drink and drive’.

surely it should be DON’T DRINK & DRIVE, ITS A CRIME

not

DRINK & DRIVE, ITS A CRIME [! go for it..]

On Barry Drive near the Uni heading into town.

Got an image of Canberra you want to share with the world? Email it in to images@the-riotact.com .

59 Responses to Drink and Drive, a call to arms?
AgentK 11:41 am 06 Jun 12

I look forward to the day when the signs can promote public transport as an alternative !

Mav 9:35 am 06 Jun 12

Of all the road safety signs I have seen in my life, and there have been a lot, I think the ones that started in country S.A. get the point across extremely well and from the behaviour of some Canberra drivers they would be well suited to being used here. These are the links to images of the signs:

I think the last one is my favourite one.

vg 9:26 am 06 Jun 12

[quote comment="410772"]A little better than that stupid ass sign that's on parkes way. "Drink and Drive die in a ditch"

Like its been written by a drunk 4 year old.[/quote]

Unless you've attended an accident where a drunk driver died in a ditch after an accident.

"Stupid ass".....says it all really

Thumper 9:08 am 06 Jun 12

"Drink and Drive and U B Next to die in a ditch with a txt"

That just about covers it.

BimboGeek 12:21 am 06 Jun 12

I loved the signs that said, "Drink or drive." That's a terrible instruction!

To anyone who has studied a bit of maths that's clearly a statement that the only unacceptable option is doing neither. Both drinking and driving would be fine, though.

I wanted to vandalise them by changing them to say, "Drink nand drive," but luckily I'm not that desperately nerdy...

jdazzle 11:01 pm 05 Jun 12

[quote comment="411001"]I have never been able to lane one form, can someone show me how? I also don't like "Caution slow down pedestrian traffic" at zebra crossing. It takes the retirement village residents long enough to cross already.[/quote]

im laughing a lot wildturkeycanoe i hadnt thought of caution, slow down pedestrian trafific.. very good.

Captain RAAF 10:15 pm 05 Jun 12

[quote comment="410938"][quote comment="410911"]...but drink a beer or two, or in my case 5....[/quote]

Because the good Cap't only drinks non alcoholic beer?[/quote]

No, I only drink rum and the stuff does nothing to me. Its a damn curse I tells ya! A great deal of money and time go into getting drunk and I just cant pull it off. After maybe 15 rums I start to get a little light headed, could still drive but would probably be close to the limit. 8 is my PB and beating the RBT. =-)

wildturkeycanoe 7:02 pm 05 Jun 12

jdazzle 6:26 pm 05 Jun 12

oops what do they do with the right i meant. shoulder.

jdazzle 6:25 pm 05 Jun 12

also, on Holden Caulfield -

Federal Project is pretty racist have to say - both in terminology and ambiguity - spot what on what?

jdazzle 6:21 pm 05 Jun 12

Dear Holden Caulfield

I see your “DRINK & DRIVE, ITS A CRIME [! go for it..]” and raise you with a: “Federally funded black spot project

hmm - how about "cyclists use left shoulder" that has always made me laugh. What do they do with the left? And how difficult it makes it to ride a bike..

snoopydoc 5:09 pm 05 Jun 12

[quote comment="410911"]?

But its not a crime to drink and drive!

Drive whilst over .05 sure that's a crime, but drink a beer or two, or in my case 5, and drive and its not a crime if you are still under the limit.[/quote]

I really hope you're being sarcastic...

p1 4:58 pm 05 Jun 12

[quote comment="410911"]...but drink a beer or two, or in my case 5....[/quote]

Because the good Cap't only drinks non alcoholic beer?

Captain RAAF 3:51 pm 05 Jun 12

?

But its not a crime to drink and drive!

poetix 3:13 pm 05 Jun 12

[quote comment="410859"]If they used gerunds it'd lose the ambiguity.[/quote]

Shooting people seems a bit extreme...but unambiguous, yes. I like your thinking.

Deref 1:58 pm 05 Jun 12

If they used gerunds it'd lose the ambiguity.

Chop71 1:45 pm 05 Jun 12

I was in Canada last month where i saw a sign "Drink Canada Dry". I gave it a good shot for 2-3 weeks before I realised that Canada Dry is a form of dry ginger ale.

Now i'm working on the clothing brand that has the slogan

"Roots Canada" and their plumbing service http://www.mrrooter.com/

djk 1:29 pm 05 Jun 12

[quote comment="410834"][quote comment="410790"]And why does the slogan at the bottom need quote marks?[/quote]

As a former graphic designer, that irritates the living daylights out of me. I HATED when people would request that I put quotation marks around their already hopeless slogan, moto, or catch phrase. I would ask them if they've ever seen a Coke, Toyota, Nike, McDonalds, Tag Heuer, or Apple ad with quotation marks around the slogan, and their response was inevitably "it needs quotation marks". Stupid.[/quote]

Haha, would have loved to see Maccas with "I'm lovin' it" in quotes, as if it had actually come from one of their billions of customers!

Mysteryman 12:59 pm 05 Jun 12

buzz819 12:38 pm 05 Jun 12

No wonder why there as so many drink drivers in Canberra!

They have been challenged.

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.