Drink driving the new black?

johnboy 20 October 2008 53

The AFP have been alarmed by a surge in the numbers of drink drivers they’ve been picking up with some huge blood alcohol levels:

“ACT Policing have received some concerning statistics in the past week with over 48 drunk-drivers detected.

Of particular concern, seven of the 2,500 drivers tested during this period recorded readings over 0.150 grams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood, three times the legal limit.

The latest incident was detected after a collision on Kingsford Smith Drive at 8am today (October 20) with one of the drivers, a 39-year-old Florey man, allegedly returning a reading of 0.237.

The highest reading recorded was 0.252, or five times the legal limit, at 1.30am on Sunday morning (October 19) after police pulled over the 31-year-old Theodore man.

But they promise they’re on top of it.

53 Responses to Drink driving the new black?
farnarkler farnarkler 10:04 am 31 Oct 08

Why not drink low alcohol beer?

peterh peterh 12:21 pm 22 Oct 08

tylersmayhem said :

isn’t it about time we looked at where and when we can buy our alcohol!!!!

Oh Jeebus, please no! Isn’t it about time we just look at personal decisions and responsibility?

nah, it isn’t the individual’s decision to drink, it is society’s. the shop / pub holds a gun to your head so you have no choice to buy or drink the grog…

please.

I don’t drink. my choice.

want to avoid being done DUI? don’t drink and drive.

couple of tradies i know wait till they get home for a coldie. or they get a different guy each day to be designated driver. for a tradie, lose your license, can’t work, can’t get paid.

or spend hours on buses or taxis. is that worth it?

tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 11:11 am 22 Oct 08

isn’t it about time we looked at where and when we can buy our alcohol!!!!

rottweiler rottweiler 10:52 am 22 Oct 08

drink driving is on the rise but why ?????? my partner was recently done for low level drink driving after 2 beers at lunch then drove home his own stupidity he admits …but a valid comment he made was that he is a tradie and most tradies enjoy a beer or two too many but the problem is that he can buy beer wine sprints what ever he wants on his way to work at 7/8am in the morning isn’t it about time we looked at where and when we can buy our alcohol!!!!

tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 3:48 pm 21 Oct 08

Very true, could have haunted you for the rest of your life! Did your insurance skyrocket? Having to write it on forms would be embarrassing I imagine. Lucky your 10 years has clocked up.

I think my parents were more embarrassed than me at the time. My insurance did not change, in fact it has never been required to report it to them. If I had been in an accident, they would have not insured me, the other party and would most likely wipe their hands of me for good.

Handlebar Handlebar 3:36 pm 21 Oct 08

tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 3:04 pm 21 Oct 08

@handlebar: yes I got a conviction, 6 months off the road and a fine. Just gone 10 years ago, so it’s a charge I can finally omit in applications, sec. clearances etc.

It was such a reckless and stupid thing to do. But at the time I seriously always drove out knowing full well I’d get plastered, then drive home! Bad bad bad! The fine I paid could have stumped up quite a few cab fares.

I still scares me when I think “what if I happened to run over someone that night, what if I ran down the policeman that pulled me over at the RBT and they died. I’d quite possibly still be behind bars!

I think I got off quite lightly when you consider those things.

Handlebar Handlebar 2:49 pm 21 Oct 08

That’s good advice, thanks tylersmayhem. Did you get a conviction?

tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 12:55 pm 21 Oct 08

@Ari: good to hear that the cops are being quite assertive these days with doing random checks with drivers. Based on recent stats outlining the number of unlicensed, unregistered, uninsured drivers etc, it sounds like it’s very necessary.

I figure if you’re doing the right thing, people should be completely supporting the Police’s efforts. I’d just expect the police to be cool about it too (as mentioned by Ari that they were).

Thumbs up from me too!

astrojax astrojax 12:55 pm 21 Oct 08

The same survey asks about how safe people feel in their homes. If the response level is that people feel safer than the national average then the police are doing a good job

…or the criminals are doing a poor one!

we’ve talked about cycling / public transport / etc on this site ad infinitum, but how many people don’t consider these options for going out – a few more ‘locals’ would be the way to go, as matto suggests. but cycling is a great way to get to ‘out’ and it usually isn’t as far as work…

tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 12:52 pm 21 Oct 08

He’s not sure if he should get a lawyer or not.

If it’s out of character and his first offence, my advise would be to not bother with a solicitor. He will be paying a large fee to a solicitor to basically admit on his behalf that he was caught drink driving.

Rock up, admit to the wrong doing and show that he has thought long and hard about the seriousness of what he has done.

He will most likely be charged and issued with a a fairly hefty fine and time off the road. If he get a solicitor, he’ll pay their fee + a fairly hefty fine and time off the road. I’d only consider a solicitor in his case if it was a complex case (additional charges by the police i.e. resisting arrest, hit and run etc.)

As long as your mate sincerely learns from his actions, like I did, front up and take it on the chin and just don’t do it again.

Ari Ari 12:16 pm 21 Oct 08

The cops pulled me over this morning … not for a breath test, but to check I was licenced.

They actually do seem to have been putting resources into traffic matters apart from speeding and breath testing lately.

This morning’s blitz did seem to have found some miscreants … looked like tradies to me.

The cop I dealt with was quite pleasant, too.

Thumbs up from me.

Handlebar Handlebar 12:08 pm 21 Oct 08

I’ve noticed more police RBTs at more appropriate times. I also know someone who was done (it was out of character but still shocking as the reading was just over .15). He’s not sure if he should get a lawyer or not.

tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 11:49 am 21 Oct 08

burns club is 2km from my place. easy stagger home.

Fair point Peterh, but the Burns club is hardly on par with the type of establishment All Bar Nun used to be. If we all simply wanted somewhere to get pissed, I’d head down to the club at Charny.

peterh peterh 11:13 am 21 Oct 08

Matto said :

The above quote didn’t quite work out like it was meant to. But I’m sure you’ll get the drift.

burns club is 2km from my place. easy stagger home. don’t drink when I go out and am driving, but then again, after my internal “offal” started to gang up on me, I don’t drink that often….

have been RBT’d a couple of times, but not in the last 12-months.

don’t think I would set foot in the Kambah inn, though. a Guy in a suit is pretty rare, there.

123qwe 123qwe 10:58 am 21 Oct 08

“Tell you what, it’s a breath of fresh air to have a copper on here who isn’t a class A dickhead. Actually knows what he’s talking about without the need to bignote or call blokes out if they disagree. Ups to Cman.”

Praising another person on this site!

thecman YOU SUCK!

Now that should even things out a bit.

Matto Matto 10:48 am 21 Oct 08

Matto Matto 10:47 am 21 Oct 08

I think Canberra is also unique in that there are very few suburban bars/pubs. Other than some of the more upper-class suburbs (Kingston, Manuka, O’Connor, Lyneham etc) there really is just such little choice. We need more bars like what All Bar Nun used to be, scattered around other suburbs of Canberra.

Thoughts?!

Great proposition. Probably wouldn’t cut down on the DUI’s though. Just people would have lesser distance to drive drunk.
It would be nice to pop into the local on the way home for a frosty schooie if it had the atmosphere of ABN. Nothing worse than showing up to a tavern and being bombarded with the old “what they hell are you doing walking in here?” stares from the drunken bar flies.

tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 10:40 am 21 Oct 08

I also agree with C man that it is no excuse to drive drunk – but, I was charged with drink driving many years ago and the reason I did it – I was young, didn’t REALLY consider the danger I was to others, and it just cost too damned much to catch a taxi whenever I went out. And that was when cab prices were half what they are now. It’s just a perspective I’m offering here.

Thoughts?!

amarooresident amarooresident 10:40 am 21 Oct 08

You obviously have not got the hang of this site yet thecman. Inserting facts into a discussion is a big no-no.