Dual lane round abouts are NOT overtaking lanes.

TheBusDriver 13 August 2013 35

After another shift of hauling people around Canberra and dodging suicidal drivers I would like to remind people about the “do not overtake turning vehicle” signs on the back of most large vehicles. Just so that people know, these apply on round abouts too. Today I had some idiot in a blue sedan try to overtake the bus I was driving in the morning and I suspect it was the same idiot who tried the same thing in the afternoon, both along Isabella Drive.

I make a point of slowing down before round abouts to give people a chance to overtake BEFORE the round about. I still get idiots overtaking in the round about, then there are the suicidal ones who try to overtake as we enter the merge into one lane. For crying out loud, when I am indicating to merge, when there is less than 100 metres to the merge and your car is just level with the buses rear bumper, that is NOT the time to try overtake. I have lost count of the number of suicidal people who try it though.

Think about it, I am also accelerating as fast as I can to ensure I am on time. There is just not enough room for you to overtake. Do you really want to take on a bus? Do you really want to run out of road and end up going head on into oncoming traffic? Because those are your choices.

Now because I am not an idiot, and I pride myself in professionalism I will slam on the brakes and let idiots pass, despite complaints from my passengers and the poor drivers who almost go up the ass end of the bus. I know of a few drivers though that could not give a stuff. They’re driving a big bus, it is a company vehicle so it is n o skin of their nose if it takes a few dints as they squash your car off the side of the road.

I think I’m going to have to start using both lanes at round abouts now because I’ve just had enough of stupid drivers playing Russian Roulette as they try to overtake on round abouts.

Speaking of Russians and drivers, consider yourself you’re lucky you are not there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMWQqAM-LM8

35 Responses to Dual lane round abouts are NOT overtaking lanes.
TheBusDriver TheBusDriver 5:33 pm 13 Aug 13

Grimm said :

Wouldn’t be a problem if you stayed in your lane. Going past you while staying in their own lane is not what the signs on your bus are intended to prevent.

It seems the majority of Action buses are nothing more than a mobile traffic hazard. I could write a bloody novel on the dangerous, stupid and plain inconsiderate things I see them do every day of the week.

I’m sorry, I think you just accused me of leaving my lane. I don’t, except when turning from dual lane roads into single lane roads, and I clearly indicate to occupy both lanes then clearly indicate to turn. I do this mostly when turning left to prevent drivers running up my left side and getting run over. Perhaps you were refering to ANOTHER bus driver? Or maybe you were just generalising other bus drivers behaviour to me?

TheBusDriver TheBusDriver 5:28 pm 13 Aug 13

Consider re-writing this response with the image of the bus being the FRONT vehicle approaching a merge and a car coming from behind the bus into the merge. Some car drivers seem to expect the BUS which has right of way because it is in front, to slow down and let them pass. Or they don’t take into account the acceration of the bus and the distance they need to overtake the bus which again has right of way if it is in front.

Or do you expect the bus driver to not accelerate and let the car to come from behind, accelerate eeven faster than the bus and overtake from behind?

beardedclam said :

It’s easy to use the “I am accelerating as hard as i can to be on time”. I doubt the police would think that acceptable as an excuse for irresponsible driving. Especially when you factor in that buses are carrying a higher number of human lives.

Also, I understand and do give way to a bus if it is pulling out into the traffic. What I think is stupid is when a bus driver will sit and wait, I have witnessed this on countless times, and will take off into the traffic when the cars approaching are right there. As I said, I understand cars have to give way to buses when re-entering traffic and I follow this rule. This is a great rule for peak hour when traffic is difficult to enter, but if there is only one or two cars coming that are pretty much on you already, why pull out in front of them? Its not to save time, the amount of intersections and stops at traffic lights take away any one or two second delay that waiting patiently and safely would have incurred.

And the method of re-entering traffic “safely”, yes I understand the rule, but if any driver of any vehicle chucks on an indicator and proceeds without looking or exercising caution just because they indicated and the rule says so, it could be fair to deem that is irresponsible driving.

cranky cranky 4:50 pm 13 Aug 13

As the bumper sticker says, ‘I’m not speeding, I’m qualifying’. 🙂

lumpy lumpy 4:20 pm 13 Aug 13

I drive to work via Monaro Hwy and Isabella Dr, and I’m certain there are people who make a game out of the dual lane roundabouts. I’m happy to go about the speed limit in the left lane most days, it honestly wouldn’t get me to my destination much quicker if I were constantly trying to get ahead of the pack at every roundabout. How people enjoy quickly accelerating, steering, brake slamming, pushing up in people’s blind spots etc etc, I don’t know!

p1 p1 4:18 pm 13 Aug 13

Grimm said :

I wondered, when reading the OPs rant, exactly how “turning vehicle” is defined. I always thought of it as being specifically “going around a corner” which is not really how I would think of “going straight ahead at a round about”.

But then I have never been hit/run off the road in such a situation, so I can probably use my judgement at least a little, unlike many of the muppets driving in this city state country planet world.

Pitchka Pitchka 3:31 pm 13 Aug 13

dph said :

A lot of Canberran’s seem to think FORM ONE LANE is code for “d*ck measuring contest.”

Awkward if you are a female….

dph dph 3:24 pm 13 Aug 13

Grimm Grimm 2:45 pm 13 Aug 13

marcothepolopony marcothepolopony 2:35 pm 13 Aug 13

Overtaking on roundabouts is foolish and dangerous, I agree with TheBusDriver on this one.

bundah bundah 2:23 pm 13 Aug 13

harvyk1 said :

(Flame suit on)

I think it’s very dependent on the situation, there are certainly some situations where it is safe to overtake at a roundabout, just like there are certain situations where it is safe to overtake even coming up to a form one lane. Driving is never a black and white “this is dangerous vs this is safe” argument as there is literally a million different variables which come into play in any situation, and it is up to all drivers concerned to weigh up the risks and do appropriate actions.

Now I say, go ahead haters, do your worst, I dare you, I double dare you, my flame suit can handle it.

(flame suit off)

Damn I wanted to disagree with you just so I could say ‘burn you bastard burn’!!

taninaus taninaus 1:07 pm 13 Aug 13

Actually the round abouts along Isabella Drive (and other single line roads) are the perfect opportunity to overtake overly cautious folk – or folk who shouldn’t be driving – who refuse to travel at any where near the speed limit (way too many think it is a 60km/h zone). That said – a bus always wins and I wouldn’t be one of those trying to overtake you on the curve unless I got to the front of the line before we went in.

beardedclam beardedclam 12:44 pm 13 Aug 13

kumadude kumadude 12:19 pm 13 Aug 13

Whenever attempting to overtake it is a calculation of your speed/time and ability to survive if smashed by the competing vehicle. Taking that into account I never ever argue with multiple tonnes of mobile metal and always provide enough space for either a truck or bus to maneuver. The signs on either rear side are a warning that you will be crushed, possibly to death, and lose your money in a court case.

tuco tuco 12:06 pm 13 Aug 13

Pitchka said :

… cars in the right lane having to break heavily to avoid getting hit….

Plus the huge broken bits left on the road. Dangers everywhere.

FioBla FioBla 11:42 am 13 Aug 13

Just call it the Active Euthanasia Lane.

Pitchka Pitchka 11:17 am 13 Aug 13

A bus driver with the audacity to whinge about ‘bad driving’.. HAHA!!! Ive read it all now…

If i posted everytime i saw a bus do something dangerous or illegal, id be here all day.

And i find it funny you should mention using both lanes, i see this happening already… In particular heading south along Drakeford Drive towards Lanyon, the roundabout where you turn left onto Tharwa Drive to head towards Theodore, the amount of times ive seen a bus in the left lane cut across both lanes, with cars in the right lane having to break heavily to avoid getting hit….

This is a big roundabout, but some bus drivers think they own the road…

buzz819 buzz819 10:59 am 13 Aug 13

It’s not overtaking, that would imply that the driver changed lanes to get in front of the bus, then changed lanes again.

It is simply passing. If the roundabout is big enough and the bus is staying in its own lane, then sure pass it.

harvyk1 harvyk1 10:41 am 13 Aug 13

(Flame suit on)

(flame suit off)

bundah bundah 10:35 am 13 Aug 13

Realistically it would depend on the size of the roundabout eg. I don’t see a problem with overtaking a bus on Isabella/Hambidge or Goldstein. Those particular roundabouts have sufficient space for cars to overtake buses.

FioBla FioBla 10:26 am 13 Aug 13

Might is right. B-U-S! B-U-S!

Region Group Pty Ltd