News

Avani Terraces - Greenway
Life is looking up

Eastman sacks lawyers, inquiry stalls

By Barcham - 22 April 2013 40

Convicted killer David Eastman has sacked his lawyers and demanded the head of the inquiry into his case stand aside reports ABC News.

Eastman is currently serving a life sentence for the murder of Australian Federal Police assistant commissioner Colin Winchester in 1989.

Justice Kevin Duggan in leading the inquiry into the infamous case, and has refused to step aside.

Eastman appeared at today’s hearing by video link from jail to tell the inquiry that he would be representing himself.

Almost immediately he clashed with Justice Duggan who had to repeatedly ask him not to interrupt.

Eastman was concerned Justice Duggan’s questioning of his former barrister John Harris about his availability for the case, if circumstances changed, would trespass on his right to privacy.

Eastman also told the inquiry he was concerned about a perception of bias from Justice Duggan.

His concern is that a key member of the team assisting Justice Duggan also worked on the Miles Inquiry into his case in 2005.

That inquiry dealt with Eastman’s fitness to plead at his original trial.

“I am entitled to apply to the Supreme Court for a writ of prohibition,” he said, after accusing Justice Duggan of failing to respond appropriately and asking him to stand down.

“You have continued to sit for three months without ruling on this issue.”

What’s Your opinion?

40 Responses to
Eastman sacks lawyers, inquiry stalls
obamabinladen 1:16 am 23 Apr 13

Eastman is a fruit loop and is where he should be! We will never know 100% what happened and why but if Eastman is in fact innocent of this crime then the courts owe it to the family of Colin Winchester to find the truth whatever it may happen to be. If that meant a re-opening the investigation than so be it. However if the evidence points at Eastman then this needs to be his final appeal, Canberrans have more important things to deal with.

LSWCHP 11:35 pm 22 Apr 13

shauno said :

Roundhead89 said :

Eastman was already mentally disabled and I would imagine that after 18 years in jail he would now be classified as criminally insane – severe mental illness induced or exacerbated by incarceration.

If the push is on to release Schapelle Corby on compassionate grounds then Eastman should also be released.

So I take it you would have no problems if they released Ivan Milat as well since he is obviously insane eating razor blades and chopping his finger off for amusement.

Milat is eating razor blades and chopping bits off himself? This news pleases me immensely, and I hope it hurts him like the fires of hell. Can I send him a care package of extra blades, salt and pepper?

LSWCHP 11:31 pm 22 Apr 13

thatsnotme said :

LSWCHP said :

As I’ve never spent any time in the Big House, I don’t know what “bronzing up” is. I could guess, but can you elaborate?

I wasn’t sure what this meant either, so decided to Google it. I’m not sure that I’m better off knowing the answer – but at least it wasn’t a Google image search…

Ah Jeez…euurrgh…not what I thought. I wish I hadn’t asked. 🙁

Given the stories about his behaviour I’m baffled why this guy wasn’t flogged repeatedly while out on the street. Yeah, he might be large and aggro, but there are other large and potentially aggro people out there as well. If he tried to biff me I’d just biff him back repeatedly until he went on his way. Perhaps like most bullies he only picked on those smaller and physically more vulnerable than himself.

Masquara 10:15 pm 22 Apr 13

Proboscus said :

Funny that Eastman is demanding that Justice Duggan stand down due to “a conflict of interest”. The only conflict of interest I’ve seen during this whole circus is when Eastman has faced Justice Higgins on numerous occasions to request appeals. As they were high school friends I’d consider that a massive conflict of interest.

Huh?

banco 10:10 pm 22 Apr 13

Diggety said :

Somebody murdered Winchester. So if an innocent man is in prison for it, that means a guilty person(s) is not.

The guilty person is quite possibly tending to his grapes in Griffith.

thatsnotme 10:08 pm 22 Apr 13

LSWCHP said :

Tetranitrate 9:44 pm 22 Apr 13

Diggety said :

This absolutely. The attitude that some have expressed in other threads that the truth doesn’t much matter as “he’s in the right place now” is repulsive. If Eastman didn’t do it – who did, and why?

I do hope this inquiry actually gets to run its course.

Pork Hunt 9:41 pm 22 Apr 13

Dilandach said :

johnboy said :

And if you were unstable, and unpleasant, but innocent of a high profile assassination, getting fitted up for it would probably tip you over the edge.

Well then he should be forcibly medicated.

What? Please explain that little brain fart.

EvanJames 9:27 pm 22 Apr 13

Eastman spent his days, before the conviction for murder, terrorising and assaulting and abusing his neighbours, public servants in public contact positions, and sundry members of the public who happened to annoy him. He was physically violent, loudly abusive, and certainly exhibited many of the characteristics of severe mental illness, coupled with exhibited criminal behaviour.

He was also very intelligent. He was dux of boy’s Grammar, and shot up through the public service. Right up until his physical assaults of fellow staff (especially women) led to his department invaliding him out on “stress”. He then spent some years trying to get back into the APS via various means, and his fury at Winchester was driven by his concern that being found guilty of one of his many misdemenours would disqualify him from re-employment in the APS. I dealt with him several times during this period, and he was obsessed with regaining his position. Which didn’t prevent him from punching and abusing and threatening public servants.

I remember one day, watching him standing in the middle of a road, screaming abuse at a woman in a car who’d almost hit him (in the middle of the road). His murder conviction meant that literally hundreds of charges against him were never heard. On the other hand, it also meant he stopped committing the actions that caused those charges.

Diggety 9:22 pm 22 Apr 13

Proboscus 9:11 pm 22 Apr 13

LSWCHP 8:54 pm 22 Apr 13

liability said :

Whilst I have serious doubts about Eastman being responsible for the Winchester murder, the guy is clearly a fruitloop.

I have had some dealings with him post his conviction and the guy is a loony. He is one of those prisoners who likes “bronzing up” on a regular basis just to piss off the correctional staff.

It is open to argument how bad he was before his imprisonment, but he is definitely a nutter now.

If he was innocent I could understand, to some intent, how his imprisonment for an offence that he thinks he didn’t commit would send him crazy/crazier.

As many others have said, if he had stuck with one competent lawyer during his trial he might be a free man today.

As to his looniness before being convicted, I used to work with a bloke who lived in the same block of flats as Eastman well before the Winchester thing. He used to come to work and tell stories about his incredibly aggressive and obnoxious neighbour. If you looked at the guy in the carpark he’d come up and threaten to knuckle you. Not at all a nice man.

Dilandach 7:48 pm 22 Apr 13

johnboy said :

Well then he should be forcibly medicated.

NoImRight 7:45 pm 22 Apr 13

So I assume all you legal eagles will be contacting Eastman to offer up your expert opinions in his defence?

Masquara 7:36 pm 22 Apr 13

Looks like a conflict on the fact of it. I imagine the entire legal fraternity in Australia are thoroughly sick of Eastman and might feel like bending the rules to cut through. Sorry, but the mentally ill warrant justice, whatever the inconvenience to administrators and lawyers, even if the accused/convicted is an arsehole …