EFTPOS not accepted in Canberra?

La_Tour_Maubourg 5 November 2013 87

Does anybody else get annoyed with this in this day and age? You order food at a cafe, bill comes at $50+ then told EFTPOS is not accepted.

Surely these days having an EFTPOS terminal is essential to a business as people like myself seem to carry less cash. If Medicare has now gone cashless surely that can set an example to other retail businesses?

87 Responses to EFTPOS not accepted in Canberra?
1 2 3 5 Next »
peitab peitab 11:50 am 05 Nov 13

johnboy said :

Costs them money every time cash is used too, particularly when hiring staff on low wages.

Ever tried doing a monthly stock take when some of the staff have been under ringing the purchases and pocketing the difference?

Firstly you know you’re down a load of money and secondly the bloody numbers on the stocktake won’t reconcile no matter what you do.

For a legit business running a straight set of books putting everything in on pay wave would at least come close to the real costs of running floats and reconciling them.

Less chance of getting some loser with a knife making off with your days takings too.

Exactly – there are costs associated with taking cash payments, they’re just not as upfront (and hence obvious, even to business owners) as electronic payments.

I too hate carrying cash around – I much prefer electronic payment methods. As far as I’m concerned, if a business doesn’t want to take my money electronically, then they don’t really want my business. And they certainly aren’t offering a level of customer service I find acceptable. I even cancelled my takeaway order at Pizza Gusto and walked out the first and only time I went there (despite hearing rave reviews) because they only took cash. There’s no way I want to support that type of non-customer focused business.

vulpior vulpior 11:44 am 05 Nov 13

We owned a cafe some years ago and I have to say that the costs of having the terminal for EFTPOS and Visa/MasterCard were not prohibitive. There was an equipment rental component and a minimum service fee; meaning that, if the take through the terminal was not enough for the charges to reach the minimum, we were charged the minimum.

As I recall, credit card service fees were a percentage of the transaction, whereas EFTPOS fees were a fixed amount. This is why I can understand having a minimum transaction amount for EFTPOS (25c charge for a $2.50 cup of coffee is 10% of the amount) but not for credit cards.

We never considered passing the fee onto customers as a surcharge. It’s a cost of doing business and it would have been nice to eliminate banking altogether. As it was, we used the cash to pay the wages and some of the local suppliers.

BimboGeek BimboGeek 11:37 am 05 Nov 13

Why don’t we hear anyone say how afraid they are to walk into a bar and put down a credit card, hoping that when the bill comes due it will be accurate? By the time the bar is done getting you drunk, do you actually count up the value of the drinks, do they give you an itemised bill or do they just ring through whatever they think they can get away with?

As noted, any business running everything through the computer properly and giving accurate receipts is running honestly, cash or eftpos.

Zeital Zeital 11:32 am 05 Nov 13

muscledude_oz said :

One thing which bugs me are businesses which don’t have Visa PayWave. Rebel Sport at Woden Plaza in particular. I realise all you have to do is stick your card into the bottom of the terminal and press a few buttons, but when Visa rolls out something like PayWave it is reasonable to expect a large retail chain to have it.

They might not have upgraded the infrastructure yet, which would also cost money. I would expect having paywave cost more ontop as well.

thebrownstreak69 thebrownstreak69 11:13 am 05 Nov 13

I prefer to use cash whenever I reasonably can, and am surprised how often people are willing to negotiate when it comes to the folding.

miz miz 11:02 am 05 Nov 13

All I can say is, the cakes at Flute are worth having to get cash out for!

Pitchka Pitchka 10:54 am 05 Nov 13

How the flip do you expect us to hide money from the tax man and avoid paying too much tax if we have EFTPOS!

Cash money, cash money!!!

kea kea 10:48 am 05 Nov 13

The chances of an establishment having EFTPOS in Canberra is way higher than in Sydney. If you can only use EFT when paying for your lunch, your options are truly limited..

muscledude_oz muscledude_oz 10:36 am 05 Nov 13

Robertson Robertson 10:29 am 05 Nov 13

Er, the first thing you do before ordering food/drink is figure out how you’re going to pay for it.

thebrownstreak69 thebrownstreak69 10:25 am 05 Nov 13

johnboy said :

Some restuarants in the US have a system where they have a sign by the cash register saying ‘IF YOU DON’T GET A RECEIPT THE MANAGER WILL GIVE YOU A FULL REFUND’.

BimboGeek BimboGeek 10:20 am 05 Nov 13

Banks are making so much money off cards that they don’t even require a signature or password. A few hundred dollars off a stolen wavey card before it’s noticed and reported is just peanuts into their profit.

Of course what you really want are the points that give you free stuff, right?

Guess who has to pay for those points. It’s not Santa.

Rollersk8r Rollersk8r 10:13 am 05 Nov 13

Really not that big of a deal. You learn the first time and come prepared the second time, assuming it’s worth returning. Pizza Gusto is a prime example. Slightly inconvenient they’re cash only but the product is good, so come prepared.

Look at it from the business owner’s point of view. Takeaway places generally sell a lot of small items. And it costs them money every time eftpos is used.

johnboy johnboy 10:20 am 05 Nov 13

RadioVK RadioVK 9:55 am 05 Nov 13

steveu said :

f4te said :

A surcharge-free MasterCard PayPass / Visa payWave system should be standard in this day and age.

Yep. Somehow I think the banks make enough out of our money on the short term money market to make it worthwhile. And the interest rates on credit cards is obscene, I would find it hard to comprehend that they are not making alot out of that side of their business too.

Either way, banks are still making record profits. And they had the luxury of being protected by the federal govt during the GFC (which in return, the govt should have imposed greater regulation as an assurance that the stupidity of the US wouldnt happen here IMHO).

The other issue is that the fees the banks charge for the privilege of having an EFTPOS terminal at your business are astronomical, plus you have to guarantee a minimum level of usage per month, or it will be removed.

It’s just another way for the banks to gouge their customers.

zorro29 zorro29 9:39 am 05 Nov 13

+1000 to all the comments above including OP

I am also someone who doesn’t like to carry cash (any really). If a place has an EFTPOS minimum (or worse, won’t accept it), I take my business elsewhere. Not only is it dodgy, it’s not consumer friendly

Cash-free society wooooooo!!!!

steveu steveu 9:36 am 05 Nov 13

f4te said :

Cantabile Cantabile 9:24 am 05 Nov 13

cmdwedge said :

I assume that all cash-only places are not reporting all of their income for tax purposes. You’d probably find that the staff are paid under the table too.

I’m right there with you in that assumption. I’ve also noticed a few businesses who have eftpos during normal trading hours, then cash only on their boxed food at the end of the day.. Writing it off as wastage perhaps?

cmdwedge cmdwedge 9:11 am 05 Nov 13

f4te f4te 9:04 am 05 Nov 13

enrique enrique 8:46 am 05 Nov 13

Agree, with a caveat.

EFTPOS for a retail business these days is the equivalent of having an email account…it’s a baseline minimum requirement of doing business.

That said though, spare a thought for the poor cafe owner. Cafe’s have been popping up all over Canberra at such a high rate over the past few years that it has me thinking the marginal return from operating in that industry has either flatlined or is trending down. Setting up the EFTPOS machine is probably the least of their worries at this point

1 2 3 5 Next »