Election poster vandalism in the inner north

xcskier 2 September 2013 29

I travelled to Dickson Saturday morning from Lyneham to see a variety of election posters set up intact along Mouat Street.

However, travelling the same route on Sunday morning, I noticed that Simon Sheik’s posters were slashed or defaced.

The other posters remained intact.

Anyone else have a similar story of vandalism whether of the Greens’ posters or other parties’ posters?

29 Responses to Election poster vandalism in the inner north
magiccar9 magiccar9 12:47 pm 03 Sep 13

Mysteryman said :

Deref said :

Obviously the Greens have someone terrified that they might succeed. They must be doing something right.

Or, and far more likely, people are just sick of their propaganda littered all over the place. It’s an eyesore and many people feel we can do without it. I don’t blame Canberrans for the urge to want to destroy and deface campaign/propaganda signs.

Mothy Mothy 12:18 pm 03 Sep 13

I was amused this morning that 104.7’s traffic report around 8am included the news that the GDE was moving slow due to people rubbernecking at the person on foot who was kicking over election material.

Well played, Canberra.

Lillypilly Lillypilly 11:03 am 03 Sep 13

Don’t know if they’re still up. But the signs with Zed eating a dick on Streeton drive are amusing.

Mysteryman Mysteryman 10:49 am 03 Sep 13

Deref said :

magiccar9 magiccar9 10:33 am 03 Sep 13

Frankly if I had that much time on my hands I’d just pull them out all together. Don’t be bothered just defacing them, they’re a waste of resources in my eyes. If I want to vote for you, no amount of cardboard on the side of the road is going to tell me otherwise. Bring on Sunday morning I say!

johnboy johnboy 10:37 am 03 Sep 13

Posters are a way of candidates feeling like they’re doing something without the unpleasantness of actually talking to the voting public.

Standing around shopping centres is nearly as good, only with the occasional danger someone will want to talk to them.

xcskier xcskier 10:16 am 03 Sep 13

I don’t mind TAMS going around removing posters that impair traffic views etc, but slashing or writing racial comments on a poster (see the other RIOT ACT item on Simon Shiek’s poster and ‘Arab Proofing’ the senate) is disturbing.

housebound housebound 9:11 am 03 Sep 13

Alternatively, there may be no conspiracy or teenagers. Just zealous TaMS rangers.

Thumper Thumper 9:03 am 03 Sep 13

There’s a heap of signs knocked over along Barry Drive eastbound. No ideas which party as they were flat.

Idiots.

housebound housebound 9:00 am 03 Sep 13

In the outer north, everyone’s signs were removed over the weekend, except for Andrew Leigh’s smaller posters. The Green’s and Katter’s posters had been replaced by lunchtime.

Election posters usually have a life-expectancy of about a week. The Greens should be happy theirs lasted so long.

OverLord OverLord 8:26 am 03 Sep 13

Holden Caulfield said :

I saw a poster with a fetching Mexican-style moustache on Kate Lundy’s face. IIRC it was heading towards the city on the GDE.

The same mo is on a slew of Elizabeth Lee posters on Horse Park Drive. That and Zed with sunnies, and the Rise Up! party all rockin’ pipes.

Deref Deref 7:52 am 03 Sep 13

Spiral Spiral 7:25 am 03 Sep 13

On Saturday morning I noticed a whole heap of signs were missing along Drakeford Drive and Johnson Drive. When I drove along there, the only ones remaining were for the Greens.

thoughtpod thoughtpod 6:06 am 03 Sep 13

How can people who do this not realise that their actions reflect badly on other parties?

So, Liberal/Labor supporters are the type of people who try to undermine the machinery of democracy? Great – that really makes me want to vote for their candidates (not).

BimboGeek BimboGeek 11:51 pm 02 Sep 13

I am fascinated by the thought process at work here. This person has decided that the golden rule does not apply in this situation, that there is some greater principle than basic empathy. This is ethically valid in a utilitarian context where the individual is forced to be unpleasant to one person for the good of many (eg a judge doesn’t let prisoners free just because he would want to go free if accused).

Apparently letting individuals choose their own leaders does not suit the utalitarian goal? So this person thinks he knows better than everyone else and is afraid of the power of the people. What a narcissistic whacko!!

This is fun; who else wants to play amateur psychiatric profiler?

Sandman Sandman 9:31 pm 02 Sep 13

The Liberals are doing it. That’s what my 7 year old stepson told me today.

bd84 bd84 8:57 pm 02 Sep 13

Holden Caulfield said :

Almost every poster on Horse Park Dr of every political persuasion has a candidate with a moustache drawn on, one is smoking a pipe. I think they have better things to do (or more people to annoy) than defacing their opponents posters..

JoeDempsey JoeDempsey 8:47 pm 02 Sep 13

I’ve seen a bunch of racist defacing of Simon Sheikh’s signs as well. I called the office and they said they have volunteers who go out and replace them regularly – sounds like it’s been going on a lot.

peitab peitab 8:05 pm 02 Sep 13

Same on Belconnen Way (between the GDE & ANU). The Simon Sheik signs were fine on Saturday, but on Sunday at about midday I saw a guy replacing slashed signs. Signs for the other parties appeared to be fine (maybe already replaced?).

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 7:40 pm 02 Sep 13

Some bright spark a couple weeks ago had spray painted over Simon sheiks signs changing abbot proof the senate to Arab proof the senate. Then on the other sign just a large stabs pray painted across it.

Idiots.