News

Skilled legal advice with
accessible & personal attention

Emotional help after an assault

By 1337Hax0r - 12 December 2012 53

The other day I was assaulted in broad daylight in the Canberra region. One moment I’m minding my own business, the next I was running for my life. It was a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time and looking at the wrong young man who took offense. I didn’t do anything to precipitate the event. Before I really grasped what was happening the guy attacked me, pushing and shoving me, threatening me, and then as I ran off, he chased me up the street with his mates in tow. I did consider hitting back but this guy was bigger than me, young, full of anger and rage and I figured I’d come off worse if I escalated the fight. I manged to get to my friend’s car and get in then drive off, with the young man punching at the car as I went.

It was scarey as hell. Even though I reported it to the police straight afterwards, I’m all shook up. Over the past week I have felt scared to leave the house and have been reliving the incident over and over in my mind. I’m having huge problems sleeping and holding it together.I’m worried that this might cause long term issues such as loss of my job if I’m too afraid to leave home.

Is there any service to assist with this sort of thing? I can see this is beyond my capabilities to deal with.

What’s Your opinion?

53 Responses to
Emotional help after an assault
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
PBO 12:45 pm 13 Dec 12

Jivrashia said :

Woody Mann-Caruso said :

Hardening up and acting like a man is too much to ask these days?

Cool Tapout shirt, bro. You must be in the special forces.

Do not feed the trolls.

Sorry, but that is Gold! How people deal with such things is different for every case, I myself would be inclined to take a few of my mates (purely for effect) to see this guy publicly and loudly confront the bully and verbally and physiclly corner them so they know what it is like and so they can feel the fear that they have instilled in others.

Then I would make them strip naked (Shirt, shoes, pants etc…the lot) and I would attack them with Wasabi paste and a pallette knife (the painting one), I would then tie their hands and feet and possibly put a shitty but not oily rag in their mouths to muffle the sound. Then I would go to the tip and get an old refridgerator which has been de-gassed (think of the environment), Knock some air holes in the door, Before you lock them in there you should administer a stupidly large amount of high quality amphetamines into the bully and lock the fridge. Raise the fridge up 1 foot from the ground but make them believe that it is dangling from the side of a high-rise carpark and leave them in there for 3 days.

Sorry, I am a bit twisted due to my time wearing issued tap-out shirts and large watches.

But public confrontation is the way to go, it embarrasses them and if they do anything about it then you have witnesses.

I would give the old “drive the bully to suicide” trick or maybe undermine his sexuallity and tell people he was abused by a truckload of uncles.

Be creative, be imaginative, Take a leif from the Icelandic book of Revenge and be a cnut.

Just dont give in to their bullying.

neanderthalsis 9:30 am 13 Dec 12

Given the prevalence of ice and the uninhibited aggression it can cause in users, running away was probably a smart move. I’m all for standing my ground on most occasions, but with the numbers of iced up, hep infected vermin out there, avoiding the fight is the best option.

As for coping emotionally, head off to the gym, do some weights and punch a bag. Work off some steam.

Henry82 9:14 am 13 Dec 12

If you’re at a university they generally have counselors available.

bundah 8:58 am 13 Dec 12

Jim Jones said :

hermanmunster1 said :

The bulk of them suffered in silence and incredible numbers took their own lives because they had no support for PTSD and the prevailing attitude was ‘just harden up and act like a man’.

Why don’t you read some history instead of bleating on like an imbecile about things you clearly know absolutely nothing about.

That’s probably expecting a liittle too much given he’s clearly a farktard.

Jim Jones 8:46 am 13 Dec 12

hermanmunster1 said :

hermanmunster1 12:45 am 13 Dec 12

Grimm said :

Hardening up and acting like a man is too much to ask these days? You require a support group for almost getting into a fight, but instead running like a little girl?

I’d probably need a support group for the embarrassment if I’d done the same.

+1 Yeah I’m sorry, but for f*cks sake!
There IS a support group for just about everything under the sun these days. We can’t have the kids calling Christmas Christmas or put up a Xmas tree without offending or upsetting someone or some group!
Now old mate gets “swooped by a maggie” and won’t turn up for work for at least 2 months because the whole event brings back terrible memories? How the hell do you think the poor bastards who returned from WW1,WW2, Vietnam etc ever carried on with their lives? I agree what happened is far from acceptable.
BUT, For crying out loud GROW UP , HARDEN UP & stop your bloody winging for christ sake.

Jivrashia 11:11 pm 12 Dec 12

Woody Mann-Caruso said :

Hardening up and acting like a man is too much to ask these days?

Cool Tapout shirt, bro. You must be in the special forces.

Do not feed the trolls.

howabout 10:57 pm 12 Dec 12

Could also be a good stir from a sook.

howabout 10:47 pm 12 Dec 12

Sorry but some of Grimm’s sentiment rings true. The reason these morons think they can intimidate their way through life is because we let them. Running to mummy (in this case the police) has become the default setting when sticking up for yourself or others is bit too un pc.

Dazzlar 9:52 pm 12 Dec 12

So sorry to hear that you’ve gone through such a terrible experience.

I have nothing to offer but my best wishes and I hope you find the help you need.

Woody Mann-Caruso 9:01 pm 12 Dec 12

Hardening up and acting like a man is too much to ask these days?

Cool Tapout shirt, bro. You must be in the special forces.

1337Hax0r 8:23 pm 12 Dec 12

Thanks for the advice that many have given here. I appreciate the useful advice.
As for the unuseful advice. Really Grimm and Conan, have you read my past posts? I have a son who is gay, I’ve attended an equal marriage rally. Questioning my masculinity really isn’t going to bother me is it? Nor is questioning me elite ability with the hacksaw.

bigfeet 6:32 pm 12 Dec 12

The AFP have a Victim Support/Liaison office and the police who took your complaint should have given you their contact details.

Search on the AFP website. They have links to other support services and will also keep you updated about your complaint.

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 4:36 pm 12 Dec 12

Dumb ass try hard keyboard warrior trolls go away. You would not say that stuff in person so don’t say it online.

I’d also plus one for some form of martial arts or self defence training. It’s going to give you more confidence after this but also calm you nerves.

As for mental anxiety or stuff I’m not sure but it sounds like others have suggested some good advice.

thebrownstreak69 4:34 pm 12 Dec 12

Grimm said :

I’d probably need a support group for the embarrassment if I’d done the same.

What would you have done differently? Other than taking these punks out with a spinning heel kick, elbow to the face, jumping front kick and then levitating up onto the roof of a bus shelter to survey your martial magic, that is?

Conan of Cooma 4:13 pm 12 Dec 12

LSWCHP said :

Grimm said :

I’d probably need a support group for the embarrassment if I’d done the same.

Very poor form.

I was involved in a few street brawls when I was young and stupid, and on one occasion my two mates and I were outnumbered about four to one. It was never pretty or manly or glamorous, and I’ve always wished those events had never happened, or that I’d been able to run away.

LH did the right thing by legging it rather than copping a flogging at the hands of a pack of dogs. It isn’t like the movies. People are permanently damaged or killed under these circumstances, and it ain’t worth it.

Undoubtably. But the OP is someone called 1337Hax0r. Complaining on the internet with such a faux tough name is an open invitation for mockery. It’s the incredibly entertaining reverse of an intenet hero stating he’s coming for your blood when posting in a forum.

bundah 4:11 pm 12 Dec 12

What’s really pathetic is that i have witnessed this type of animalistic behaviour for the past four decades and it is bleedin obvious that those responsible for dealing with low life behaviour have fundamentally done nothing of any substance to tackle this problem whether it be the legislators or judiciary.

There clearly is an expectation and awareness from the authorities that this mindless violence is a normal part of life and that it’s all in the too hard basket.I openly admit that I detest the authorities with a passion for they are little more than limp wristed gutless imbeciles who are not prepared to take the necessary measures to effectively stamp out or at the very least make a substantial dent in preventing and tackling this mindless violence.

LSWCHP 4:03 pm 12 Dec 12

Grimm said :

I’d probably need a support group for the embarrassment if I’d done the same.

Very poor form.

Jim Jones 3:45 pm 12 Dec 12

Grimm said :

I’d probably need a support group for the embarrassment if I’d done the same.

Well you’ve obviously been punched in the head a fair bit, haven’t you?

Diggety 3:45 pm 12 Dec 12

LSWCHP said :

Diggety said :

Try pistol shooting at the range. There are introductory sessions, it’s very relaxing. Popping caps always calmed me down.

I’m all in favour of pistol shooting as a safe, interesting and family friendly sport, and I do a lot of it. However, it’s not something I’d recommend to someone suffering emotional problems after an experience like this.

Well, yes. Depends on the type of emotion though, OP just sounds stressed- and no doubt it could spiral down into something worse.

I highly recommend shooting at a range to release tension, relax and focus. Like that lady in American Beauty.

(But, definitely have a session on the couch sooner rather than later whatever you do).