Enlarged Cotter Dam starts to fill

johnboy 25 February 2013 32
overspill

ACTEW Water have announced they’re closing the diversion on the Cotter Dam construction site which means the new dam will start to fill and the old wall is going under.

ACTEW Water’s new Enlarged Cotter Dam will begin impounding water from today.

While this milestone will be welcomed by our previously drought-threatened community, it will mean the old Cotter Dam which has served the city well for the last hundred years, slowly slipping under water.

Closing the 3.4m high river diversion construction gate will allow the mighty dam wall to start doing its job, storing raw water to protect the Canberra community from the threat of severe and prolonged water restrictions such as those that have affected our city and our economy for much of the last decade.

Mark Sullivan, ACTEW Water’s Managing Director believes today’s announcement will be greatly welcomed by the community:

“We are delighted to deliver this major milestone for our customers across Canberra and I am sure they will breathe a collective sigh of relief that they will never return to the threat of such restrictions which blighted our community over the last 10 years. Closing this gate is more symbolic than just a construction milestone, no more will our unpredictable climate dry and parch our city and menace our lives and our economy.”

The gate alone weighs more than 5 tonnes, but with gate guides and hoist assembly that weight is nearer 10 tonnes (about the same as a city bus). Closing the gate will allow the reservoir behind the 80 metre high dam wall to begin doing its job in earnest and take storage from 4 Gigalitres under the old dam, to 78 Gigalitres under the new structure.

32 Responses to Enlarged Cotter Dam starts to fill
Girt_Hindrance Girt_Hindrance 5:48 pm 25 Feb 13

c_c™ said :

Charcoal doesn’t work that way. The bushfires increased turbidity and resulted in higher iron and manganese levels in the Cotter catchment. Manganese in particular can affect the taste of water. However the treatment plant was upgraded to cope with it.

Fair call, I was only angling for some free booze… Alas.

c_c™ c_c™ 5:34 pm 25 Feb 13

c_c™ c_c™ 5:30 pm 25 Feb 13

Jivrashia said :

DrKoresh said :

For what, can you elucidate? Do have some psychosomatic reaction to tap-water? A tin-foil fear of fluoride?

The water is hard’ tasting due to the 2003 bushfire.
Brewers (e.g. beer) will definitely not choose to use Canberra tap water unless it is well filtered.

If you want to know the actual difference then ask a friend who lives out on a large property for a bottle from their rain water tank. I guarantee that it will taste ‘sweet’.

The water is clarified to within a certain range during treatment. The bush fires only affected the raw water quality. Certainly last time I tested, the water was no where near being hard. The changes you may notice from the tap are as the chlorine levels change in the tanks, and the stronger treatment at Googong does make for a stronger flavour. But these have always, and will always be an issue.

Girt_Hindrance Girt_Hindrance 5:17 pm 25 Feb 13

Jivrashia said :

DrKoresh said :

The water is hard’ tasting due to the 2003 bushfire.

If the bushfire of over a decade ago were an issue, I’m sure all that charcoal would have assisted to filter out any nasties you’re possibly alluding to. Also, you’re referring to commercial brewers then? All home brewers I know don’t seem to have any issues with tap water, I don’t know a single person who filters their water prior to brewing. I’ll also concede that I haven’t recently tasted pure rainwater from a rural property as most have a slight oxidisation/’rustic’ quality due to older guttering on said properties.
Very happy to hear from local brewers who do filter their water, especially if I get to ‘sample’ said brews.

Deref Deref 5:11 pm 25 Feb 13

DrKoresh said :

dungfungus said :

Most people I know in Canberra drink bottled water which is a shame as Actew’s brew is the world’s best even though bottled water is probably now cheaper.

Why, oh why? We have such excellent tap water here, it mystifies me that there are so many ridiculous wankers in this city. It’s so much more environmentally unfriendly to buy all these plastic bottles, especially when 90% of the time they’re paying for tap water (not even local tap-water). It’s things like this that make me think we have too much money and too little sense.

Hear, hear!

poetix poetix 5:03 pm 25 Feb 13

Jivrashia said :

DrKoresh said :

The water is hard’ tasting due to the 2003 bushfire.

With a soupçon of dead possum.

Jivrashia Jivrashia 4:57 pm 25 Feb 13

DrKoresh said :

The water is hard’ tasting due to the 2003 bushfire.

DrKoresh DrKoresh 4:39 pm 25 Feb 13

Jivrashia said :

dungfungus said :

Actew’s brew is the world’s best

shirty_bear said :

especially in Cbr where tap water is as good as H2O gets.

I’m glad you guys have such high tolerance…

Jivrashia Jivrashia 3:56 pm 25 Feb 13

dungfungus said :

Actew’s brew is the world’s best

shirty_bear said :

especially in Cbr where tap water is as good as H2O gets.

I’m glad you guys have such high tolerance…

KB1971 KB1971 3:42 pm 25 Feb 13

dungfungus said :

DrKoresh said :

dungfungus said :

At last I have found some common ground with the mad doctor.

Yes, I had to slap myself to make sure I was not dreaming!

shirty_bear shirty_bear 3:22 pm 25 Feb 13

Alderney said :

I’m sure dentists appreciate the upsurge in business afforded them buy the morons eschewing tap water.

Have had this conversation with several dentists; their view is that bottled water is just plain brainless, especially in Cbr where tap water is as good as H2O gets.

And I doubt that many dentists (/medicos of any stripe) in this town need the extra business.

Alderney Alderney 2:51 pm 25 Feb 13

DrKoresh said :

dungfungus said :

I’ll agree with you on this point.

I read an article in Dissent magazine (quite a few years ago now) that pointed to one pusher of bottled water’s exploitation of indiginous water resources. i.e. they pay them not much and reap huge profits. I think they turn their blue caps pink at a certain time of year, every year.

dungfungus dungfungus 1:16 pm 25 Feb 13

DrKoresh said :

dungfungus said :

At last I have found some common ground with the mad doctor.

dungfungus dungfungus 1:15 pm 25 Feb 13

johnboy said :

Swimming pool installers?

Fair comment.

DrKoresh DrKoresh 12:58 pm 25 Feb 13

dungfungus said :

Gungahlin Al Gungahlin Al 12:58 pm 25 Feb 13

Bet they want to get it shut before that big weather system comes over from South Australia later today…

beejay76 beejay76 12:50 pm 25 Feb 13

“never return to the threat of such restrictions” “no more will our unpredictable climate dry and parch our city and menace our lives and our economy.”

Never is a loooooong time, dude. Need to wind back your hyperbole setting.

Good news, though.

PantsMan PantsMan 12:38 pm 25 Feb 13

And the total project cost was? And how much over budget?

Details.

thebrownstreak69 thebrownstreak69 11:57 am 25 Feb 13

It took too long and cost too much, but good to see a result at last.

dungfungus dungfungus 11:54 am 25 Feb 13

This is great news but I am mystified by the claim that lack of water is a menace to our economy. I am not aware of any industry in Canberra that was affected adversely by the water restrictions imposed during the recent drought.
Also, I think a “city bus” weighs in at about 25 tonnes (fully loaded). Mark Sullivan was probably referring to the last Canberra bus he travelled on which was when he was going to school about 40 years ago.

Region Group Pty Ltd