Enterprising young lad.

j from the block 4 August 2009 40

A new level of enterprising young lad spotted in the bus interchange today.

While his dodgy appearance may turn off the potential donors, he stood back against Dick Smith counting change in his bum bag he had his lady friend front up to passers by for “change for the bus”.

Made a killing from what I watched in the 5 minutes while interested. Anyone else seen any beggars of note lately? Not sure whatever happened to “55 cent guy” , he always did quite well. I always admired the ones that came up with a good story.

Tags

40 Responses to Enterprising young lad.
Woody Mann-Caruso Woody Mann-Caruso 9:28 pm 04 Aug 09

Forgot to add: keep an eye for Himyname’sMikeandI’mabakerfromWestonandIneedtwentybuckstogetbacktotheshopbecauseIdon’thavemywalletormykeysandifyougivemeyournumberI’llcallyoulaterandgetyoudoubleyourmoneyback. He does the flustered thing very, very well.

Woody Mann-Caruso Woody Mann-Caruso 9:26 pm 04 Aug 09

If it is the man I think, he sadly died a while ago. He used to sell his poems around Civic and the Gorman House Markets. A bit of a gentle giant.

If that’s true, his very material ghost was haunting the Gorman House Markets last week.

astrojax astrojax 8:28 pm 04 Aug 09

sorry wraith, just spent me last change.

and addison, thanks but really, no thanks, for that charming image with which you left me…

c9 c9 8:24 pm 04 Aug 09

Ten bucks to buy dinner? Piss off. Pack of instant noodles and can of baked beans and *** off.

If you’ve got time, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soCTtmI9110 .

phototext phototext 8:22 pm 04 Aug 09

The tall guy who sells poems is still about, I buy them off him on occasions. I tried just giving him some money once and he insisted I take a poem. They are a bit corny but good on him for making the effort rather than the usual crapola from the Civic beggars.

MrPC MrPC 8:12 pm 04 Aug 09

There was one (two actually) tonight hanging out in front of the Calwell Shops asking for a dollar for a fu%#ing beer. Charming.

NickD NickD 8:02 pm 04 Aug 09

A middle aged guy in a nice coat asked me for some money out the front of Landspeed Records at lunch yesterday. I hadn’t seen him before, and he didn’t look that hard-up. I guess that the economic downturn is starting to impact on Canberra.

Hells_Bells74 Hells_Bells74 7:46 pm 04 Aug 09

Oh well, I am saddened to hear that. He was always lovely to sit down with and have a ciggy and chat with. He was a gentle giant of course. But his poetry still stunk!

fabforty fabforty 7:12 pm 04 Aug 09

Hells_Bells74 said :

What about that tall older God-spreading man who sells his poems. I bought one off him once with gusto.. He also gave me a few at a later date (for smokes probably), but whilst it was a great idea about how to get small change off people, they really stunk, not even as good as a small childs work.

Addison Addison 6:33 pm 04 Aug 09

I like the guy who used to ‘sell’ dirty jokes. Give him a couple fo bucks and you’d hear 3 crackers.

Happy to pay, because I saw the value.

The beggars who hassle me and make up bull$hit can kiss my hairy testicles.

Hells_Bells74 Hells_Bells74 6:25 pm 04 Aug 09

krasny krasny 5:26 pm 04 Aug 09

There’s an older chap in Civic who frequently approaches us looking for ten bucks to buy dinner, because, as he tells it, his pension cheque isn’t due until tomorrow. Sounds dodgy, except that in hindsight we only ever see him on alternate Tuesdays.

Pesty Pesty 5:21 pm 04 Aug 09

ATO

pepmeup pepmeup 5:14 pm 04 Aug 09

the guy on crutches in the city was a classic, he would pretend to have a disability to attract people to help him then when they were close he would hit them up for cash. he would meet up with a woman and have lunch every day and I guess compare notes. It is sad that people have to do this we need better mental care in this country

MsCheeky MsCheeky 5:13 pm 04 Aug 09

There’s a regular young bloke in Civic who looks strong and healthy, but he begs all the time. Yesterday, he tried it on me by saying he needed two dollars to help ‘this lady’ as he vaguely waved his arm in the direction of the bus interchange. It din’t take long before someone succumbed.

The thing is, I work in Civic, and so he must have approached me at least half a dozen times lately, and never seems to comprehend that I’ve heard it before. And he’s not the only one. Between the beggars and the charity-guerillas, it’s sometime hard to eat your sandwich in peace!

Wraith Wraith 4:53 pm 04 Aug 09

Can anyone lend me a dollar??

Need it to pay for this post

lobster lobster 4:48 pm 04 Aug 09

There used to be a guy in Dickson who used to yell out
“Hey you…”
“Come over here!”
Then if people were stupid enough to go over to him.
“You got a dollar you can spare?”

WTF? If you are going to scab money off people. At least have the decency to go over to THEM to ask for money. Don’t call them over to YOU!

Anyone seen the Tropfest entry a couple of years ago called “Beggers Belief”?

Ozi Ozi 4:36 pm 04 Aug 09

There is the perenial favourite, Mr “my girlfriend has just been hit by a car/truck/bus in civic and I desperately need $40 to catch a taxi to the hospital to be by her deathbed!”

Typically he operates in Red Hill, Narrabundah area. He lives in Narrabundah. Goes door to door, looking all distraught, sweaty and vaguely druggish. The whole speel is delivered with a fairly believable level of urgency and panic. Presumably makes a fair bit seeing it is $40 a pop…

j from the block j from the block 4:26 pm 04 Aug 09

55 cent guy, what we dubbed him anyway was a skinny young lad, who used to ask for 55 cents to get the bus. No one ever had 55 cents, so he would normally get a dollar. Used to clear around 3-400 a day (he used to come into my shop trying to get notes for his gold coins)

OzChick OzChick 4:21 pm 04 Aug 09

Who is 55 cent guy?

I remember an old guy who walked around Civic with crutches. I think he was an alcoholic.