Community

Earn your halo.
Become a Guardian Angel today!

Etiquette question … nude phone calls …

I-filed 15 January 2010 39

[ED – not in any way Canberra specific but I found the mental image funny enough I couldn’t help but let it through. No surprises I wasn’t able to find a safe for work image to accompany the submission! ]

This morning I was wandering round the house in the nick and had to make a phone call to a business (nb not skype).

They wouldn’t have known, of course, but I felt impelled to put clothes on before I called.

If some man was calling me in the nude, I’d be creeped out, whether he mentioned it or not.

That said – I’m no prude. Happy to chat to friends or family members au naturel. On the phone of course, not on Skype!

Tags

39 Responses to Etiquette question … nude phone calls …
trevar trevar 7:24 am 16 Jan 10

Hmmm… does anyone post on RiotACT in the nude?

cleo cleo 1:51 am 16 Jan 10

Accually I answered the phone in the nude a couple of days ago to a person in a high position (local member of parliment), didn’t think anything of it, but PBO that is discusting eating while on the toilet YUK!

el el 11:36 pm 15 Jan 10

Yep, no problems – I often make/receive phone calls in the nude.

My colleagues at the call centre sometimes give me strange looks though.

bd84 bd84 9:35 pm 15 Jan 10

Isn’t doing everything naked more fun?

Though Helen, I think people who answer the phone while on the toilet is wrong and disgusting. It’s up there with the people who work on my floor who finish their business and promptly walk out without washing their hands.

TAD TAD 7:00 pm 15 Jan 10

Do you have any photos of yourself nude on the phone?

Do you want to buy some?

threepaws threepaws 6:54 pm 15 Jan 10

Helen said :

My partner quite often answers his phone when he’s on the toilet – I think it’s disgusting! I think it’s the thought of what they’re doing in there while talking to you – you may not be able to smell anything but you can certainly picture it and it’s just not pretty.

But I have no problems with nude phonecalls, business or otherwise.

Imagine the other things people could be doing while they are on the phone to you: picking their nose, clipping their toenails, watching skin flicks with the volume down, drinking cheap wine – eeewww! 🙂

But seriously, why is ok for me to wander in and around my home in a swimsuit (it’s summer, I have a pool) but not in my undies and bra? I dare say my standard daily underwear hides a lot more of me than my bikini…

andy pandy andy pandy 6:39 pm 15 Jan 10

I know someone who not only makes nude telephone calls but quite often is sitting on the toilet at the same time

milsey2010 milsey2010 5:28 pm 15 Jan 10

Coach said :

What a great discussion topic………….

It reinforces that almost all that goes on in and around our life is driven by our own perceptions and feelings about it. Our learned beliefs drive everything. If you lived in a nudist colony, you would think it odd to even be discussing this topic. Yet we are so accustomed to only sleeping (or not even then) washing and having sex without clothes on, that we think it odd to be having a phone conversation in the nude.

Yet do it a few times, and the oddity will disappear, and you will wonder what the fuss was all about. You just have to get over judging it to be wrong.

A good comparison is the practise of eating beef. In parts of India, you would be committing a mortal sin by eating a cow, yet here you are the exception if you don’t.

Learned beliefs that influence our thoughts and our actions…..It’s so powerful, that if most people make a call in the nude, the person on the other end of the phone may well know something is not right, because our unease would transmit through our voice.

“The joys of being Human”

Psychology aside – it feels pretty good… doesn’t it.

Mordd Mordd 4:50 pm 15 Jan 10

“I’m curious – how many rioters would feel comfortable making a business call in the nuddy? Is it impolite? And would you consider it rude if someone you don’t know called you in the nude, whether you were told or not?”

Do it all the time, one of the advantages of living on your own. Yelling at telco companies and the like is so much more relaxing when done in the nude, the day of video calling threatens to soon ruin this great past time though.

s-s-a s-s-a 4:38 pm 15 Jan 10

I think that if we all sat down and had a meal on the toilet we all

… would be lucky to not end up with the odd bout of E.coli poisoning from time to time.

Seriously! There are lots of things I will do on the loo – play games on my iPod, chat on the phone, entertain my 5yo, read books and magazines – but eating is DEFINITELY not one of them.

On the subject of nude phone calls, yes I have done this and it would only creep me out if someone who wasn’t friend or family actually made a point of telling me they were nude!

Coach Coach 4:24 pm 15 Jan 10

What a great discussion topic………….

“The joys of being Human”

PBO PBO 3:50 pm 15 Jan 10

Inappropriate said :

I don’t see what’s wrong with it? I eat my lunch in the nude…but the other patrons in the food court keep staring; I wish they’d stop.

Would you eat a sandwich on the toilet? I ate a cup of oriental instant noodles whilst having an explosive episode one day, I looked down into the toilet and then look at my noodles in the cup (same colour, thankfully not same consistency) and the whole experience put me off to the point I no longer eat noodles.

However i am an advocate of eating food in the toilet as i can see that in someway it saves time somehow. I think that if we all sat down and had a meal on the toilet we all may learn something.

Inappropriate Inappropriate 3:35 pm 15 Jan 10

colourful sydney racing identity colourful sydney racing identity 3:20 pm 15 Jan 10

No problem with nude phone calls – one of the joys of having an office with a door.

I am also in favour of nude posting on RiotAct

Helen Helen 3:15 pm 15 Jan 10

But I have no problems with nude phonecalls, business or otherwise.

MrMagoo MrMagoo 3:07 pm 15 Jan 10

I’m sorry Marge, you’ll have to speak up, I’m only wearing a towel.

pierce pierce 3:06 pm 15 Jan 10

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel

dr phil dr phil 3:06 pm 15 Jan 10

You will have to speak up, I am in the nude!

PBO PBO 2:57 pm 15 Jan 10

I have a bad habit of making and recieving calls when i am on the toilet. At first you think that you will get away with the other person none the wiser, until you realise that toilets have a particular resonance to them. I try not to tell folk where I am until they ask me, at that point I mention that I am in the toilet (1’s or 2’s, it just dont matter) and they immediatly get disturbed. They go eeeughhh and i say you cannot possibly smell that! Optus and Telstra do not offer Smellephones!

As long as you cannot hear something dropping into or hitting the water there should not be a problem.

arthwollipot arthwollipot 2:55 pm 15 Jan 10

If someone phoned you, how would you know whether the caller was nude or not unless it were mentioned? The next call you take could be from some 160kg 50 year old naked guy and you’d never know!

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.