Etiquette question – Kiddies and the shopping centre bogs

Verisimilitude 12 February 2009 68

Dear Manners Aunts,

Based on an observation that got me thinking:

Dad and young Maddison Sophie (age 4 1/2!) are shopping in the Canberra Centre, when Maddie announces she ‘NeEEeeDs to GO to thE ToiLET, Dad!’

Should Dad:

1. Take her into the unhallowed depths of the men’s toilets?

2. Scandalise the ladies in the women’s toilets? Or send Maddie in there unsupervised?

3. Use the nursing mothers’ room?

4. Ask the nice Canberra Centre lady to take Maddie into the loo?

5. Or, tell Maddie to ‘Just hold on ’til they got home’?

68 Responses to Etiquette question – Kiddies and the shopping centre bogs
Granny Granny 11:27 am 13 Feb 09

Jakez, if I had a gun the rapist would have it off me in thirty seconds while I repeatedly shot and missed and would probably not be a happy chappy. I think I would be better off to just try and fart a lot.

jakez jakez 11:16 am 13 Feb 09

I’m sorry I seemed to have had a brain freeze in the middle of that. Re Sweden (they get the gun from the Government as part of their compulsory service, which I don’t support).

I just don’t want my fiancee to be raped. It makes me angry frankly that people prevent her from being able to defend herself (as 156cm isn’t exactly an imposing figure).

jakez jakez 11:12 am 13 Feb 09

It’s not about blowing someone away Granny, it’s about preventing violence not doing violence.

Consider the current situation. You are a rapist, you are waiting for a target. What do you expect that target to have? A gun? No, that’s ilegal. A knife? Illegal (but possible). A Taser? Very illegal. A piece of metal on a keychain long enough that you could perform wrist lock maneuvers? Nope, illegal.

That’s a pretty good deal for our rapists, murderers, and robbers. They already clearly don’t care about the law.

Now consider a rapist who lives in New Hampshire, USA. They have the very real prospect of having a gun pointed at them, not to mention the other things I listed.

Consider a burgler in Sweden, where every single citizen is required to have a gun (they get the gun). That’s not fun.

I don’t want to turn our toilets into the toilet in True Lies (for those who haven’t seen True Lies, a public toilet is basically destroyed from all the shooting and fighting). I want them to be the opposite. To do that, you create the potential for self defence. It’s psychology.

Granny Granny 11:01 am 13 Feb 09

Googling, googling …. Oh, that concealed carry! Good grief, jakez, I don’t want that!! I’m with caf. If you’re going to blow someone away, at least be up front about it!

jakez jakez 10:52 am 13 Feb 09

Well if we had concealed carry you wouldn’t have to pump a few rounds from your .45 into the stalls first.

…wow I think I’m about to yank this thread right off topic.

Granny Granny 10:42 am 13 Feb 09

Geez caf, like no woman’s ever been raped in a public toilet before. Sadly, the little sign on the door doesn’t actually keep sexual predators out ….

caf caf 10:37 am 13 Feb 09

I guess you should pump a few rounds from your .45 into the stalls first, to make sure it’s safe.

jakez jakez 10:35 am 13 Feb 09

Granny said :

Even grown women should be vigilant when entering public toilets alone. I would not allow my kids to enter a toilet block unescorted.

Especially seeing as it is illegal to concealed carry.

Granny Granny 9:51 am 13 Feb 09

NoAddedMSG NoAddedMSG 8:59 am 13 Feb 09

@27: I have met people called “See-anne” (Sean) and “Tuck-son” (Tucson, I wanted to ask if he was named after the car or the place, but the parents were scary).

Pandy Pandy 11:01 pm 12 Feb 09

I suggest pwecious Maddison learn to use a ShePee and stand and do it like a man at a urinal.

RatsNest RatsNest 10:51 pm 12 Feb 09

Gerry-Built said :

PreciousLilywhite@ #17: umm, noooooo!

Disabled toilets are fine to take kids to… or to stand out the door of if the kid is older. Don’t let one bad incident ruin a perfectly feasible option. But at the same time, keep an eye on your kids, there are some nasty people out there.

jessieduck jessieduck 9:01 pm 12 Feb 09

I gave Mr Jessieduck a pop quiz to suss out his parenting potential and he answered
1. Mens toilets
2. Disabled toilets

He passed. I am willing to be sperminated soon.

Ori Ori 8:42 pm 12 Feb 09

Oh dear, the fact that the question needed to be asked after four and a half years of having her may be an issue in itself! I’d hate to know how dad would handle an actual emergency…

1. Yes, if dad is there with her, then there’s nothing wrong with the men’s toilets.
2. Generally, no. Women may not be rapists, but that doesn’t mean they can’t or won’t do other bad things. It’s happened before.
3. Yes, the parents’ room, that what they’re there for. And they’re fantastic. I’ve taken my young niece and nephews there on several occasions.
4. Don’t ask anyone else. No one likes your kid, it’s not their job, also, legal liability issues.
5. Not the common sense approach, but…

bd84 bd84 8:41 pm 12 Feb 09

Well, i’d take her to the diabled or parents room if there were any. Otherwise the mens supervised, like our parents did when we were kids and there were no such things as parents rooms or disabled toilets.

Gerry-Built Gerry-Built 7:02 pm 12 Feb 09

@ Jakez @ #24: no intent or anything behind the particular brain dropping that you took exception to. I had a particularly nasty group of students that shared those names a few years back, with equally nasty parenting/parents… they just seemed the “in” names of the bogans in the year those kids were born :/ (Jayden might just place the year of birth?)… telling your kids to pee on the plants outside Maccas is definitely Bogan (with capital ‘B’)!

Which reminds me of the parent at my local shops who called her children to her; Shikira, Jewel… and I think there was a third, but that one escapes me right now…

…or the newborn patient that my cousin (a paediatrician) was looking after whose delighted parents announced as Joaquin (and pronounced “Jock-win”)…

…apparently there is a not-uncommon Afro-American name pronounced Sha-theed, but spelled S-h-i-t-h-e-a-d…

poptop poptop 5:34 pm 12 Feb 09

Use the accessible toilets – surely that’s a picture of a stroller . . .

Kramer Kramer 4:58 pm 12 Feb 09

Parents room, otherwise go for the nearest garden bed, carpark or alleyway.

jakez jakez 4:55 pm 12 Feb 09

Gerry-Built said :

link at #9 should be: this gem from Chaser’s… crew.

You could also check out the old (by web standards), but extremely relevant “Institute for Naming Children Humanely” (INCH) website

Know you are all enlightened.

Oh, and in response to the original post – absolutely use the parent’s rooms… (#13 spot on) and never, ever on the bushes (although the ex-presidents…) outside an establishment of any sort (PM @ #8 – I’ll bet *that* was a Jayden, Jake or Jacob)!!!

O RLY?

Gerry-Built Gerry-Built 4:24 pm 12 Feb 09

@ smack @ #3:

smack said :

Easy. Take her to the kids toilet in one of the several ‘parents’ rooms.

Now hopefully JB will delete this waste of a thread!

& yet you felt the need to comment 😉

…it’s called discretion people, discretion.