Etiquette question – Kiddies and the shopping centre bogs

Verisimilitude 12 February 2009 68

Dear Manners Aunts,

Based on an observation that got me thinking:

Dad and young Maddison Sophie (age 4 1/2!) are shopping in the Canberra Centre, when Maddie announces she ‘NeEEeeDs to GO to thE ToiLET, Dad!’

Should Dad:

1. Take her into the unhallowed depths of the men’s toilets?

2. Scandalise the ladies in the women’s toilets? Or send Maddie in there unsupervised?

3. Use the nursing mothers’ room?

4. Ask the nice Canberra Centre lady to take Maddie into the loo?

5. Or, tell Maddie to ‘Just hold on ’til they got home’?

68 Responses to Etiquette question – Kiddies and the shopping centre bogs
chewy14 chewy14 3:05 pm 13 Feb 09

Damn my metric mind. haha.

Granny Granny 3:03 pm 13 Feb 09

‘ is a foot, of course …. Everybody has them! Jakez just has six of them, is all.

; )

chewy14 chewy14 3:00 pm 13 Feb 09

Jakez,

What’s this 6′ you speak of?

jakez jakez 2:53 pm 13 Feb 09

NoAddedMSG said :

Jakez, statistically speaking the people who are overwhelming more likely to cause your girlfriend harm are you or male members of her extended family. So just being a decent, non-violent person makes her life far more safer than you carrying a gun is ever going to do.

I already am a decent non violent person. I want the odds to increase even further and the weapon is for her not for me. I’m just under 6′ and 105kg.

PreciousLilywhite PreciousLilywhite 2:45 pm 13 Feb 09

I am extraordinarily amused by the picture PreciousLilywhite paints of a bunch of guys standing around chatting with their cocks casually out.

I am also amused because I didn’t paint think that I painted that picture at all. Anyhoo, tell me, does the towelman that shines your shoes and mixes the martinis also give you cigerettes and Archie comics to read while your on the pooper? 🙂

NoAddedMSG NoAddedMSG 2:20 pm 13 Feb 09

Grail Grail 2:12 pm 13 Feb 09

Don’t let her go to the ladies room unsupervised. There might be a lesbian couple from Melbourne in there who will kidnap her and then sue you for maintenance when they realise that a four year old child needs to have clothes to wear and can’t do their own ironing and cooking.

Granny Granny 1:36 pm 13 Feb 09

I don’t believe there is a paedophile lurking around every corner either. But I have experienced attempted rape several times in my life already, as ne in five women statistically will at some stage in their lives. As a woman you learn to live with that, and you deal with it in whichever way you deem wise.

Lone kids are targets, as are lone women. It doesn’t stop me from walking alone at night, but that doesn’t mean I don’t also feel afraid when some tosser yells out, “You’re going to die tonight,” after I ignore the invitation to come up for a drink. As I said, do what you want with your kids. I’ll do what I think wise with mine.

We teach kids rules about crossing a road because it can be dangerous. If my kids get taught not to go alone if possible, to be alert and watchful and scan the area as they approach, what is it to you? Hardly a diagnosis for paranoia. More like walking around with your eyes open.

jakez jakez 1:24 pm 13 Feb 09

caf said :

It’s really not like that at all. As men, we understand that the last thing other men want to see is our equipment, and act with the modesty that would imply.

…really? What toilets are you going to? Personally, I enjoy a good ol ‘cock out conversation’ with my fellow denizens.

caf caf 1:20 pm 13 Feb 09

jakez jakez 1:08 pm 13 Feb 09

PreciousLilywhite said :

Wow, this thread is really getting away on itself.

There is limited discussion on this topic.
The choice is unisex disabled toilets or parents room. Thats it.

I dont think I need to explain to anyone why taking a young girl into a room full of males with their pant pythons exposed is not such a great idea. That, combined with the stench of rotten trough lollies, is enough to scar her for life.

I speak with years of professional experience when I say that female toilets are almost invariably far more disgusting and filthy than male toilets.

Duke Duke 1:00 pm 13 Feb 09

@ Granny – Your question is not relevant to me, mostly because I don’t believe there is a pedophile lurking around every corner, ready to pounce.

Also because it sets a dangerous precedent. Following your logic, a kid can no longer play down at the local park unsupervised or take a walk to the shop by themselves.

This behaviour from some parents, though well meaning, robs a child of there own risk-assesment and instills parents’ fears into the child. This to me is the real danger (and tragedy).

PreciousLilywhite PreciousLilywhite 12:47 pm 13 Feb 09

Wow, this thread is really getting away on itself.

There is limited discussion on this topic.
The choice is unisex disabled toilets or parents room. Thats it.

Granny Granny 12:43 pm 13 Feb 09

Oh, c’mon. There are things that it is prudent for a woman to do in a carpark late at night, such as have her keys ready, which have nothing to do with being paranoid and everything to do with common sense.

Some precautions increase the chance of survival in certain situations, such as escorting your child to the toilet.

Don’t want to do it? Fine. Don’t assume I’m paranoid for not wanting to take a risk.

Which child is a sex offender more likely to rape and murder, my supervised child or your unsupervised one?

Duke Duke 12:32 pm 13 Feb 09

Getting raped in a toilet cubicle?! People who go with that paranoid logic are best off not leaving the house at all!

Never travel in a car as you might get in an accident and die. Don’t swim in any body of water……you could drown, and to avoid any risk of heart attack, avoid any major exercise.

(but if you must leave the house, 4 layers of bubble-wrap at the minimum)

jakez jakez 12:29 pm 13 Feb 09

dexi said :

Ori post 29 says it for me.

Jakez you might like to consider that you are more likely to be robbed violently for your gun. Then I guess they have the choice of what they do next.

I don’t think any evidence bears that out however I’m happy to be shown to be incorrect on this. I’d rather my fiancee be robbed for her gun than for her vagina. In option 1 she has a gun and a chance. In option 2, the criminal has an illegal gun and my fiancees vagina.

dexi dexi 12:18 pm 13 Feb 09

Ori post 29 says it for me.

jakez jakez 12:08 pm 13 Feb 09

I’ve never touched a gun by the way.

jakez jakez 11:57 am 13 Feb 09

Guns are not for everyone Granny and I definitely support mandatory and comprehensive training (and by comprehensive I mean much more than simply how to shoot). I also applaud you for your self recognition.

I think I’ll defer this argument though as I’ve pulled the thread off topic. Default victory to gun control.

Granny Granny 11:30 am 13 Feb 09

Or I would mistake the cleaner trying to shoo me out for a person of nefarious intentions and let him have it right between the eyes ….