European Wasps Revisitied

Skidbladnir 14 January 2008 68

European wasp nest attached to roof awning
IF SWALLOWED SEEK MEDICAL ADVICE

In the thread “European Wasp nest removal?”, only a few of us believed European Wasps liked to live in houses.
We gave the following advice:
1) Destroy by Flame: using either WD40, lighter fluid, or using well-aimed cans of burning Mortein for self defence.
2) The Aliens Alternative (Step 1: Acquire an orbital platform with tactical nuclear capability, Step 2: Nuke!, Step 3: Clean up any fallout)
3) Use Harsh Chemicals: find a professional in the yellow pages, and get them destroyed.

The ABC have put out an article (hello to any ABC employees), suggesting:
1) using any household-grade insect spray has been labelled “suicidal” as literally thousands of wasps will emerge from the nest and try to kill you.
2) apparently ‘most’ of this years nests have been found in wall cavities of homes.

The ABC also say to contact a professional first in all cases.
Damn communist pansies.

According to this Australian Museum Online Factsheet, in the space of a single summer, one nest would normally have 3000 workers and multiple queens, dissolve in autumn rains, leaving the workers and drones to be killed off in the cold, while the queens would hibernate.
But due to the Australian climate, we get large supernests, occasionally resulting in nests with 100,000 or more workers, which grow over multiple seasons.

68 Responses to European Wasps Revisitied
Skidbladnir Skidbladnir 10:03 am 29 Jan 08

@Sands re: spiders and bugs and other crawling things.

While true that redback males don’t have the red stripe, they have a white patch on their backside, are half the size of the females, and brown.

If you can store pictures of the wasps nests and want to post them, you can only put up a link to the pictures, rather than embed them in your replies.
If you just pastet he link into your reply it auto links it, or if you want to be stylish and use html, try <a href = "location of picture">Text to use as the link</a>

But as my backyard insect population is in a constant state of anarchic flux, the predatory bugs tend to keep eachother in check (and when they get out of comfortable limits I just spray them with the most powerful insecticide I can find at Bunnings.
So I can’t recommend a professional to you, other than suggest the yellowpages.
Anyone?

Thumper Thumper 8:38 pm 28 Jan 08

Hehe, talk about instant, or delayed, karma.

This afternoon, whilst minding my own business, I was stung on the back of the neck by a paper wasp and geez did it hurt!

And still does….

Needless to say the nest no longer exists!

el ......VNBerlinaV8 el ......VNBerlinaV8 2:54 pm 28 Jan 08

OK, I *think* I know what’s happened.

Any comment using html tags hits the moderation queue. The commenter can see the comment, but no one else can until it’s been approved by an admin.

I can now see your comments (with the link) at 11:13, 13:01 and 13:03…

I guess WordPress keeps the timestamp of the original comment regardless of the delay between posting and approval.

el ......VNBerlinaV8 el ......VNBerlinaV8 2:44 pm 28 Jan 08
pierce pierce 2:37 pm 28 Jan 08

(and choose the wasps option)

pierce pierce 2:35 pm 28 Jan 08

Ok well this is just freakin weird – nothing shows up in the new comments box any time I post this link either.

(Strictly speaking, I’m using Flock 0.7.14 but it’s an FF derivative so I didn’t think it would make a difference. Checked it in FF and it doesn’t work there. Sorry)

When I view RA with Flock, I have extra comments with the link at 11.13am, 1.01pm and 1.03pm.

If you can still be bothered, go to netdisaster.com and plug in the url of this post.

el ......VNBerlinaV8 el ......VNBerlinaV8 2:08 pm 28 Jan 08

And upon looking at the page source, there is no HTML code to suggest anything happens around the word ‘here’, aside from a [/p] tag to close the comment.

el ......VNBerlinaV8 el ......VNBerlinaV8 2:05 pm 28 Jan 08

IE? I already use Firefox.

The link is not visible in Firefox 3 beta, Firefox 2.0.0.11, Safari 3.0.4 or Opera 9.21.3678.

Care to post it again so I can see what you’re actually talking about? 🙂

pierce pierce 1:06 pm 28 Jan 08

IE seems to be blocking it VN – try Firefox.

pierce pierce 1:01 pm 28 Jan 08

How strange – just checked it in IE and the second post I submitted – which said “Damn it – stupid html. Try here” only appears in Firefox. Never seen that before.

Third time is the charm.

Wasps and RA

el ......VNBerlinaV8 el ......VNBerlinaV8 12:17 pm 28 Jan 08

Like, there’s no link anywhere…dood.

pierce pierce 11:55 am 28 Jan 08

Here is the link. – Like, the word “here” 🙂

el ......VNBerlinaV8 el ......VNBerlinaV8 11:40 am 28 Jan 08

Where?

pierce pierce 11:13 am 28 Jan 08

Damn it – stupid html
Try here

pierce pierce 11:12 am 28 Jan 08

Wasps take their revenge on RiotACT – check it out here

el ......VNBerlinaV8 el ......VNBerlinaV8 7:48 pm 27 Jan 08

Chuck a blanket on it?

ant ant 2:46 pm 27 Jan 08

Chuck a blanket on it? Or stand well back. I wouldn’t use the stryofoam napalm on the nest in the pic. as the ceiling appears to be made of some kind of boarding (gyprock, villaboard etc). As we saw on that Vegas casino burning last night on the News, boarding burns real good).

Sticky fire, useful stuff. I imagine it’d wreck the brush you put it on with though.

el ......VNBerlinaV8 el ......VNBerlinaV8 12:41 pm 27 Jan 08

The danger is in trying to extinguish the stuff if something goes wrong, ant. Allegedly.

ant ant 10:35 am 27 Jan 08

Damn! I hadn’t read the end of this thread until Sands resurrected it. Had a slight coffee mishap when I got to the discussion of Rolf Harris Solutions. Bugger.

What’s dangerous about that napalm? I am intrigued by this and intend to try it, sounds like a good use for styrofoam. I work with some people who will entertaing us at morning teas with all the interesting things you can do with laundry chemicals so this might give me something to contribute.

Region Group Pty Ltd