A new series of adult master classes kick off in late October at Tuggeranong Arts Centre. Led by professional artists, these affordable evening sessions are a wonderful opportunity to explore printmaking, abstract painting, eco-dying, and drawing flowers. The classes are suitable for beginners or people with some experience, offering a warm and friendly environment that encourages creativity and self-expression.
Textile artist, Pinal Maniar will lead this Eco Dye project based intensive course over six weeks. In the first four weeks, participants will learn the basic principles and processes of natural dying by producing a series of samples exploring the techniques of eco printing, Itajime (folded) and shibori (stitched). In the final two weeks, using the samples produced, participants will create a textile collage to create a tablecloth or other decorative or functional textile piece. Assembly will be by means of hand stitching, embroidery and applique. This course will suit textile enthusiasts, beginners or those wishing to expand on their skills.
This is a brief over of the course:
- Week 1: scouring, mordanting and planning final piece of artwork which will be a collage of the samples and using them to create a “ painterly collage” or a patched table cloth
- Week 2: will be Itajime Shibori (1 hour folding & 1 hour dyeing 2 colour)
- Week 3: stitched shibori (1 hour stitching & 1 hour dyeing 2 colour)
- Week 4: eco print (1.5 hours steam & 30 minutes planning)
- Week 5 & 6: executing your collage with hand stitching patches, embroidery and appliqué.
About Pinal Maniar
Driven by a passion for handcrafted textiles, Pinal’s experience spans printing, weaving, dyeing, quilting, and traditional textile crafts techniques. After many years in the fabric design and manufacturing industry, she is now focused entirely on hand-made, unique, and sustainable textiles. These textiles are a medium for exploring the creative possibilities of natural materials and patterns. They are a statement about making locally and sustainably, and the artworks speak directly about the environment in which they are made. View here Facebook and Instagram.
What: Eco-Dying: 6-Week Textile Masterclass for adults
When: Tuesdays 6 pm to 8 pm, from 24 October to 28 November, 2023
Where: Tuggeranong Arts Centre
Cost: $210 (for the 6-week series)