A new series of adult master classes kick off in late October at Tuggeranong Arts Centre. Led by professional artists, these affordable evening sessions are a wonderful opportunity to explore printmaking, abstract painting, eco-dying, and drawing flowers. The classes are suitable for beginners or people with some experience, offering a warm and friendly environment that encourages creativity and self-expression.
Playful Prints with Peter Maclean will cover a range of diverse printmaking techniques with a focus on ways of working that can be achieved quickly and spontaneously, without the need for a lot of fastidious preparation. Suitable for those with limited printmaking experience this course will give you a taste of some of the variety that print offers. Some techniques will use a press, and some are suitable for use at home without a press. Participants will be doing something different every week, so while the techniques are simple, there is lots to be learnt and lots of creative fun to be had.
- Week 1. Trace monotypes. Are they prints or drawings? You be the judge.
- Week 2. Nature printing. Reveal the exquisite textures in found materials.
- Week 3. Moody Monotypes – Black and white reductive monotypes
- Week 4. Relief print with stencils. Making woodcuts without the carving. Use simple paper stencils to get straight into printing and start exploring layered colour.
- Week 5. Relief print with foam sheets
- Week 6. Contact Collographs. An easy introduction into intaglio printmaking.
About Peter McLean
McLean has a deep affinity for nature and the environment. Working across a range of printmaking techniques, drawing and installation, he explores the materiality of nature and our physical, emotional, and spiritual relationships with wild places. His practice combines traditional techniques and craftsmanship, a sense of play and willingness to experiment and a desire for his materials to be given equal voice as collaborators in his making process. Since graduating from ANU School of Art in 2010 he has maintained an active practice including numerous solo and group exhibitions, residencies, and teaching engagements.
Please follow the links below for information on the other master classes starting in later October.
What: Playful Prints: 6-Week Printing Masterclass for adults
When: Wednesdays 6 – 8 pm 25 October – 29 November 2023
Where: Tuggeranong Arts Centre
Cost: $210 (for the 6-week series)