Ever more severe mobile phone laws

johnboy 17 September 2010 43

Comrade Stanhope is increasingly frustrated with all of you ignoring him and continuing to use your phones whilst driving.

To that end he has made new laws so that the extent to which you ignore him is increased:

Under the laws, drivers can only use a mobile phone to make or receive a call if the phone is secured in a cradle, or if it can be operated without being touched and is not resting on any part of the driver’s body. All other functions of the phone including text messaging, video calls and emailing are prohibited.

If the phone rings while I'm driving

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

43 Responses to Ever more severe mobile phone laws
Spideydog Spideydog 7:47 pm 19 Sep 10

caf said :

You have hit the nail on the head.

Tooks Tooks 5:12 pm 19 Sep 10

drewski said :

Thoroughly Smashed said :

This option could be written in two ways:
1) “I’m aggressively ignorant of my own limitations”
2) “I have an arrogant and inflated sense of my own worth and abilities”

Thoroughly Smashed, it’s definitely not 1), but perhaps 2).

So you admit to having an inflated sense of your own abilities? Probably a good reason not to use your phone while driving then. Just throwing it out there…

drewski drewski 4:04 pm 19 Sep 10

Thoroughly Smashed said :

This option could be written in two ways:
1) “I’m aggressively ignorant of my own limitations”
2) “I have an arrogant and inflated sense of my own worth and abilities”

Thoroughly Smashed, it’s definitely not 1), but perhaps 2).

sepi sepi 12:46 pm 19 Sep 10

Most of us can drive down a quiet street and talk on the phone. It is when the third variable comes in that there is a problem – pensioner stops in front of you, kid runs out, paper blows onto your windscreen, friend on the phone says something shocking, you move phone to get better reception, ute pulls out in front of you, car in the next lane drifts accross (cos they’re on the phone). etc etc etc.

Some people can drive with their knees and juggle – doesn’t mean we should all be free to have a go.

Thoroughly Smashed Thoroughly Smashed 11:32 am 19 Sep 10

drewski said :

Johnboy I don’t think your poll is representative enough, because none of the options apply to me.

I find the false choices in johnboy’s polls to be part of The RiotACT’s charm.

drewski said :

How about the option: ‘I’ll just answer it because I am in fact able to do more than one thing at once, including answering my phone, talking and driving a manual vehicle.’

This option could be written in two ways:
1) “I’m aggressively ignorant of my own limitations”
2) “I have an arrogant and inflated sense of my own worth and abilities”

drewski said :

I agree texting is dangerous because I have to take my eyes off the road, but I think a law against talking on mobiles while driving is about as devolutionary as compulsory helmets for riding bicycles and jay walking.

Okay, back under the bridge now.

drewski drewski 7:59 am 19 Sep 10

dvaey dvaey 7:19 am 19 Sep 10

georgesgenitals said :

What’s the legality of using a CB while driving?

CBs with a push-to-talk button or a hand-mic arent allowed to be used while driving, unless you have a vox system or a badge. Also remember, none of these rules apply to those who enforce them.

vg said :

The current laws, ‘Use Hand Held Mobile Device’ and ‘Drive with Undue Care and Attention’ … But I have a far simpler solution.

What about a simpler solution, rather than targetting those who are on their mobile, why not target the undue care and attention it causes? This would not only target those on a phone, but also those putting their makeup on, changing the CD without looking at the road, eatting, etc. Given the number of people who use their mobile phones while driving and dont have accidents, there are obviously some people able to do both at the same time, but spending any time on our roads, shows that you dont need to have a phone glued to your ear to be an unattentive unaware driver, and those are the people I think should be targetted as a group, before those who are doing some action, and able to remain aware at the same time.

From a PR point of view, targetting the evil mobile phone wins more points than targetting unattentive drivers, but weve always had PR put before safety. In the same way you win more PR points for having cameras at traffic lights that catch ‘red light runners and speeders’ but dont do anything for tailgaters, who are much more likely to cause an accident at an intersection than someone speeding through an orange light.

georgesgenitals georgesgenitals 7:54 pm 17 Sep 10

vg said :

Interesting.

The current laws, ‘Use Hand Held Mobile Device’ and ‘Drive with Undue Care and Attention’ already covered exactly what the Comrade wants to cover again, but great attempt at looking at doing something. But I have a far simpler solution.

Use Hand Held Mobile Device…….Fine $1000.

Once the first couple get given out the word will get around.

Here’s your answer.

Jethro Jethro 5:38 pm 17 Sep 10

I think its fair enough that people use their mobile phones while driving. Most people are truly so important that their banal conversations about what Davo did last night over at Steph’s house are worth risking a car accident over.

Special G Special G 5:17 pm 17 Sep 10

Most people think $271 dollars and 3 points is already too harsh. People don’t care and continue to cruise around in their own little world.

AG Canberra AG Canberra 5:00 pm 17 Sep 10

….because they don’t believe it wil happen to them.

I agree – they don’t. But if we had a few more coppers on the roads policing the perfectly adequate laws we have, then they WILL believe that they WILL get caught.

End of problem.

caf caf 4:41 pm 17 Sep 10

Where was the option in the poll for “I long ago saw the writing on the wall and spend $100 on a bluetooth handsfree gadget”?

Sgt.Bungers said :

Suddenly all these nanny state laws will no longer be needed, as the punishment for screwing up will be feared.

Your premise is faulty – those who do the things you described when driving have clearly demonstrated that they do not believe that they will ever come unstuck. They won’t fear the punishment because they don’t believe it will happen to them.

buzz819 buzz819 4:32 pm 17 Sep 10

Amanda Hugankis said :

I think the safest thing is that no driver should be driving;

witha chatty passenger/s
with children in the back seat without having been strapped down and mouth/s gaffer taped (and no pencils/buzz lightyear/nintendo ds/plastic AK47, etc)
with animals
with the radio playing
with a GPS in operation
a lit smoke
listening to an iPod
with a drink
with the windows down
in high heeled shoes
in thongs
with anything in your lap
in a skirt.

Anything else that could cause a distraction?

Down the main street of Manuka on a pleasantly sunny day at lunch time, they get distracted by all the short skirts and low cut tops, I don’t I stop and stare, can’t be to careful in a motor vehicle, just my little bit for public safety…

Amanda Hugankis Amanda Hugankis 3:00 pm 17 Sep 10

I think the safest thing is that no driver should be driving;

witha chatty passenger/s
with animals
with the radio playing
with a GPS in operation
a lit smoke
listening to an iPod
with a drink
with the windows down
in high heeled shoes
in thongs
with anything in your lap
in a skirt.

Anything else that could cause a distraction?

Amanda Hugankis Amanda Hugankis 2:46 pm 17 Sep 10

What if its in the cradle, but can still only be operated by touching it? And does this go for the radio and air conditioner as well?

damien haas damien haas 2:41 pm 17 Sep 10

georgesgenitals said :

What’s the legality of using a CB while driving?

You dont dial or enter text on a CB. You press to talk.

The use of the mobile phone has probably led to an increase, or at least a slowing in, the road fatality rate. However you will still see a pollie or policeman stand in front of a car accident and blame speeding, even if the corpse has a mobile phone in its dead cold hand.

I know one person who admitted to me they were texting when they drove through a roundabout and hit the pole in the middle head on. The insurance company refused to pay out.

mark karlson mark karlson 2:37 pm 17 Sep 10

But what about the cyclists talking on their mobile phones as they ride I’m sure they’re the most dangerous and nobody’s mentioned them yet.

watto23 watto23 2:34 pm 17 Sep 10

Before you go blaming our Chief minister, they are actually national laws that the ACT is falling into line with.

I have to agree though on your lap is pretty silly, but ask a cop and the only time they can enforce it will be likely iof they pull you over for speeding or at an RBT and see it on your lap.

That said seriously if you don’t think using a mobile phone is a distraction then you have no idea. I was lucky i had an accident once and learnt my lesson the hard way with no one being injured.

My recommendation is to get a holder/cradle for your phone ie $20 or less thingy. You can just use the phones hands free mode then.

p1 p1 2:06 pm 17 Sep 10

vg said :

Interesting.

Use Hand Held Mobile Device…….Fine $1000.

Once the first couple get given out the word will get around.

So, at the moment, can you be hit with all three fines?

vg vg 1:07 pm 17 Sep 10

Interesting.

Use Hand Held Mobile Device…….Fine $1000.

Once the first couple get given out the word will get around.