Peter Holland 4 September 2008 134

We have touched on Urbexing, Spelunking and other forms of Exploring in prior posts, what are some areas that are considered fun to check out and won’t result in us being shot / arrested / drowned?

anyone?

Tags

134 Responses to “Exploring” in Canberra – any good tunnels / caves or other fun exploring areas?
p1 p1 10:13 am 16 Oct 09

UrbanAdventure.org said :

P1, you must be the creator of the penguins in Froggy drain out at Belco. I like your work. 🙂 That was a heck of a long way up the drain though, past the loop and by the grille. Did you hike all the way up, or was there a closer entrance?

Penguins are my speciality. And I have exited/entered that drain at five different locations I can think of. Have you seen the “Aquarium”, or did you stop at the dome?

PBO PBO 8:44 am 16 Oct 09

##### INTERMISSION #######

UrbanAdventure.org said :

PBO said :

urbanadventure.org (If that is your real name) If you know for a “fact” that they are Poo tunnels, why are you trying to dig up more info on them?

As far as i understand, the area under the well known car park in Belconnen is still there.

Of course that’s not my real name. Who has a web site as a name? Why even make that comment? I mean it’s not like for a minute that I think your name is PBO. That’s not even relevant.

Because it was funny at the time. Dont take this all too seriously mate. No one is better than anyone else on this site, so just roll with it, smile and have a bit of fun and share some knowledge and maybe have a bite at someone. What makes this site fun is that we are all hypocrites at some time or another.

I for one am interested in where you have been in Canberra and what you have seen.

###### CONTINUE THREAD ######

UrbanAdventure.org UrbanAdventure.org 9:06 pm 15 Oct 09

Hey Dan, seriously, why don’t we put the crap behind us? I don’t know how to contact you through here, but if you know how to contact me by all means why don’t we meet, chill out, have a cuppa and talk about UE. You can show me some of your new photos. I’m not trying to hassle you or antagonise you or anything. It would be seriously nice if we just made an effort to get on, have fun and do some nice UE eh.

Peace,
Panic!

UrbanAdventure.org UrbanAdventure.org 7:11 pm 15 Oct 09

PBO said :

I have an interest in almost all tunnels as it is my hobby. Look I’m not interested in the polatics or defamation. I just like to explore. If you have a problem with that, then you don’t have to reply. If you enjoy that, then let’s chat civilly.

UrbanAdventure.org UrbanAdventure.org 6:56 pm 15 Oct 09

Danman said :

Hay Jason, That Captain Pike nicname is news to me, have you ran out of people to antagonise, perhaps you best leave sleeping monsters lie.

I have always maintained that I am a photographer – I prefer my vocation to my hobbies, it pays my bills, my hobbies do not and to that end, my hobbies are limited by my vocation.

To everyone else, if you have a government security clearance, I would suggest distancing yourself from non sanctioned* urban exploration and most certainly Panic! and the poster urbanadventure.org.

He has a long and sordid history which I will not make public, but you have been warned.

*I have on several occasions had guided access to closed systems, abandoned buildings (Think Glassworks circa 1999/Yarralumla Brickworks, LM Water Treatment centre) for the purpose or urban exploration style photography.

Gee Dan, chill out. What’s with the sour grapes? I didn’t give you the Captain Pike nick. I think Mira called you that and it stuck. I thought it *was* your nick name until it was explained to me.

Dude, it seriously does not make sense for two urban explorers to have so much animosity towards each other. It would be a lot better if we were just out exploring. Also, before you start acccusing me of illegal stuff, I have made a point of not doing any illegal exploring for years. You’d be very surprised what people will let you do if you ask polietly and offer them beer.

Danman Danman 9:45 pm 13 Oct 09

Barzma, no problems with being curious, that’s how this thread was conceived. However, I do not think it would be good netiquette for me to describe in great detail a fellow contributor regardless of my opinion of them.

Mongo and Panic have a history – if you want to know more, just ask our friend urbanadventure.org – or as he says get user access to his website and chances are that you will find dozens of pictures in which he is a subject.

barzma barzma 9:17 pm 13 Oct 09

Danman said :

WMC – Your statement barely comes as a revelation to me, it seems that is his MO with online communities. UER.ca springs to mind.

I would not say I *know* him, I have met him on one occasion, but his reputation certainly goes before him, and on meeting, his reputation manifested evidently.

Don’t make my mistake.

What is this guy like? Old? Young? Sorry if i sound a little interested, it is just that I remember in my primary school days staring down into a drain covered by a steel dome next to the oval with wonder, and there always being two fading signatures… one reading “mongo” and the other “panic!”. And now that i explore more drains i am coming across his name a lot.

Danman Danman 3:01 pm 13 Oct 09

Don’t make my mistake.

PBO PBO 2:41 pm 13 Oct 09

UrbanAdventure.org said :

I know of some 35 storm water drains, 3 bunkers (okay one of them has now been converted ito offices) and at least three seperate tunnel systems in Canberra. I’ve got a nice Google Earth file with them all plotted too.

Hey Danman / Captain Pike, I always wondered if that was you posting here. Long time no see.

Anyway, I’m trying to dig up some info on the tunnels running under Northbourne Ave. The Poo and Poo 2. Anyone got any info on them? Besides the fact that they are poo tunnels? What about Electron?

Where on earth did you get those names from? There is no such thing as a poo tunnel, if there was it would be a sewer. I think that you are referring to certain access tunnel that goes under a certain area of Northbourne Ave.

If you want to brag, then find and photograph the Black Mountain Downpipe or the Mount Ainslie Bunker.

Woody Mann-Caruso Woody Mann-Caruso 1:56 pm 13 Oct 09

You know Panic!, danman? Dude almost singlehandedly trashed the ACT geocaching scene a few years back IIRC.

p1 p1 12:36 pm 13 Oct 09

Hmm, who else do we have in Canberra that does UE.

Well, I’ve been a few places, and while I love to name drop and brag with the best of them, I would probably stop short of being that arrogant. There is always someone cooler then you.

As for Poo, I’ve been in a couple of storm-water drains that pass under Northbourne, or do you mean sewers? Because I have a map of the active ones, but they are, well, full of poo.

PBO PBO 12:08 pm 13 Oct 09

And Furthermore, I think that you are a bit geographically embarrassed as it seems that you dont know about what bunker is where or who used it. I appreciate that you are an experienced urbexer but you are coming off a bit full on. As for being the most experienced and most well travelled urban explorer in the ACT region, that is a big call my friend as there are some folk who work for NCA who would laugh in your face as it is part of their job.

Lets just share our experiences and not argue about who has a bigger headlamp.

Danman Danman 11:19 am 13 Oct 09

Furthermore urbanadventure.org, it is probably prudent to not boast your criminal exploits on open forums, rumour has it a motorcyclist once done that, RA got wind of it, and the boys in blue became aware of him pretty quickly.

In a post 9/11 environment do you really want the world to know that you have accessed stormwater tunnels that go under parliament among other secure locations that you boast of ?.

Even moreso if you are employed in the APS.

PBO PBO 9:10 am 13 Oct 09

Danman Danman 8:31 am 13 Oct 09

barzma barzma 10:12 pm 12 Oct 09

I have never really done any Urbex, but the other day i walked in to a tunnel on Red Hill. There is a section of steel that has been removed probably long ago so you can clime in. There is a lot of graffiti which tapers off a couple of hundred meters into the tunnel before reaching a room filled with graffiti. You will be faced with a wall that you can clime under (about knee height) and then a fork in the tunnel – take the right as the left is a bit slippery. Watch out for spiders above you! Anyway after a fair while (maybe an hour?) you should pop up in Curtin. It is quite eerie when you are near the end, you see what looks like a small opening in a wall in front of you, but you soon realise that is the exit really far away!

UrbanAdventure.org UrbanAdventure.org 9:48 pm 12 Oct 09

vg said :

“I’m the most experienced and most well travelled urban explorer in the ACT region.”

Even if you say so yourself

Well, I don’t have to say so myself. Go sign up for a membership on urbanadventure.org and you will see some of the
Over 300 stormwater drains,
Over 120 abandoned buildings,
Over 60 bunkers,
24 plus abandoned underground stations,
8 College tunnel systems
2 nuclear missile silos
The Paris catacombs,
Chernobyal,
and more that I have explored.

Hmm, who else do we have in Canberra that does UE. Well that would include danman, who earned the nickname “Captain Pike” for piking out on 4 UE expos in a row. Who by his own admission did not like exploring storm water drains and to my knowledge has never been in one. The guy is a photographer, not an explorer. A good photographer yes, and I like some of his work, but he’s not into UE big time. Even the description he gave of Guy Fawkes (with the incorrect spelling) is all from my web site.

vg vg 11:55 am 05 Sep 09

Even if you say so yourself

UrbanAdventure.org UrbanAdventure.org 7:30 pm 04 Sep 09

In relation to one of the bunkers, there was, and kind of still is a HUGE underground communications centre ment of Treasury building when it was the old DFAT building. It used to have a thick lead roof block out radio transmittions and was intended to be fallout proof. After the building was handed over to the Treasury department, they cut big holes in the roof which was under a car park. (so not in Belconnen) The space was converted into office space.

It has been mentioned on an old ABC web site, and is as plain as day to see now days so I don’t mind mentioning it. One night Myself, Zool, Dsankt and Nivelo snuck down there and explored it while it was still being rebuilt.

I’m the most experienced and most well travelled urban explorer in the ACT region. I’m pretty much always up to a bit off urbex and exploring, as long as others are sensible, and there’s no polatics involved. I don’t give a crap about who you will or will not explore with. I’m there to explore, not whinge.

PBO PBO 9:09 am 24 Aug 09

Had a look at the Cotter Caves on the weekend and to my shock some of the barriers have been removed. The main cave is still caged off, but the other little one has had the barrier removed. When did this happen?

Region Group Pty Ltd