Ferret torturers get custodial sentences

johnboy 27 October 2008 186

Convicted ferret torturers Thomas Sorahan and Adriano Larobina have now been sentenced for their crime.

The RSPCA have put out a media release applauding the sentence:

“RSPCA ACT today applauded the firm stand of the legal system in the ACT region to appropriately punish two men found guilty of animal cruelty. Sentencing the men to ten months jail with a five month non-parole period, the decision by the magistrate represents one of the most severe punishments for animal cruelty in the ACT region in some years.

“This represents a breakthrough for RSPCA ACT in fighting for appropriate punishment for animal cruelty,” RSPCA ACT CEO Michael Linke said, “I can only hope that this firm stand will act as a deterrent to others. This case was one of the most grotesque I have seen in my time as RSPCA ACT CEO and I am confident that the community will support this sentence as an appropriate response to sick and disgusting acts of cruelty against animals.”

Mr Linke has long sought to raise awareness of the identified link between cruelty against animals and subsequent offenses against people. Referring to the “cycle of violence”, Mr Linke said today that he hoped the early conviction and sentencing in relation to animal cruelty would act as a deterrent to future offences.”

The two plan to appeal both sentence and conviction.

UPDATED: I have it on good authority that the defence tried to argue that the previous discussion of these two on RiotACT constituted a punishment from the community already delivered. That’s something we’re all going to have to think about. Personally I’m relieved this argument did not sway Magistrate Brian Van Zuylen.

FURTHER UPDATE: The ABC has more.

186 Responses to Ferret torturers get custodial sentences
1 2 3 10 Next »
Skidbladnir Skidbladnir 10:30 am 28 Oct 08

By the way, the animal torture thing isn’t a indicator of definite future violence on humans, just a tendency.
And its only approaches being a valid indicator amongst children, and if it becomes habitual.

tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 10:26 am 28 Oct 08

Personally, I think 10 months is a nice beginning. I think it should be a couple of years! These arseholes will appeal and appeal for at least 10 months, then they will be released for time already served, without ever having to see the inside of a prison! Boo!

What a load of crap. Perhaps the comments made on here has shown loud and clear how we will not accept this kind of behaviours, and maybe even put pressure towards a strong penalty. To get a slap on the hand and sent off because people will remember who they are and what they have done is a joke. That’s just the kicker of it all. They are lucky that they have not been sentenced to much, MUCH more time. Considering that cruelty to animals is an early behaviour of many murderers and serial killers, these two are lucky they don’t get a much harsher sentence as a preventative measure.

After all, they’ll travel far enough to get other jobs, and lie to get girlfriends in the future.

Skidbladnir Skidbladnir 10:17 am 28 Oct 08

Sssh.
The fear is all part sentence.

tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 10:16 am 28 Oct 08

Yes, that would be nice…I admit. But the truth is that the kind of abuse that the word “prison” conjures up after watching movies like The Shawshank Redemption and Lock-up, simply will not happen to these guys. The kind of physical and sexual abuse that is reported generally happens within long-term general population incarceration, and to and by those long stay residents. The kind of prisoners who instigate this type of abuse are those who know they will not see the outside world for a very long time.

Do you HONESTLY think they will put these guys in a maximum security prison, in with the general population of murderers and rapists? I think not.

VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy 8:48 am 28 Oct 08

And you all thought QBN wasn’t good for anything! Maybe the ACT courts need to take a leaf out of NSW’s book…

Seriously though, these dirty scumbags got what they deserved, and will now have this follow them around. Sucked in to them, I say. Enjoy your stay on the inside.

ant ant 9:27 pm 27 Oct 08

Dang, I forgot all about it! I would have liked to go and boo at them. Trying to imagine what those little animals went through is a very upsetting exercise. They thought humans were benign, who gave them shelter and food, and played with them. How horrific to be smashed and beaten and punctured by those they trusted. Kudos to the Qbn court for doing the right thing and putting these evil people behind bars.

Skidbladnir Skidbladnir 8:58 pm 27 Oct 08

They might end up getting violated by everybody, violated by nobody, or they might not get violated at all…

The formula is probably complex, and involves working out how pretty they are, if they cry alot, and if they mind being married to whoever has the most cigarettes.

If they come out with a number tattooed onto their person somewhere, they were just too pretty for their own good, and the market decided their value for them.

Pandy Pandy 8:48 pm 27 Oct 08

When they are violated in prison, I pray it involves gaffa tape.

Bungle Bungle 8:45 pm 27 Oct 08

I got the feeling that supporters of these 2 idiots were trying to incite a few comments a couple of weeks ago. Probably trying to get a few more to use in their ‘punishment in the community’ line of defense.

PsydFX PsydFX 8:36 pm 27 Oct 08

Sucked into them.

My Ferret told me, that she hopes they get violated in prison, but I told her that saying things like that is inappropriate.

Thumper Thumper 8:21 pm 27 Oct 08

Yeah JB, I did forget that…

Either way, google will not be their friend…

Skidbladnir Skidbladnir 8:01 pm 27 Oct 08

So, the lawyer that claimed that public interest in, and comment in a public forum, on an event which occurred in it, was against common behaviour, unlike the gossip which already occurs in back yards and cafes everywhere, and constituted prior punishment….
Was he appointed by the court, or did they have to pay actual cash money for his advice?

johnboy johnboy 8:01 pm 27 Oct 08

NSW Thumper.

Thumper Thumper 7:56 pm 27 Oct 08

Wow..

I’m amazed…

They deserved all they got. Frankly I hope this conviction follows them for the rest of their lives.

Primal Primal 7:47 pm 27 Oct 08

“a punishment from the community already delivered”?

Well yes… if we get to deliver some of what was discussed in that thread!

BerraBoy68 BerraBoy68 7:35 pm 27 Oct 08

For once I agree with a sentence. Now if our local magistrates would issues such harsh penalties for those that hurt ‘people’ we’d be getting somewhere.

Sammy Sammy 7:05 pm 27 Oct 08

I totally agree with this sentence. Animals, and particularly small animals, are incapable of defending themselves against such barbaric idiots. I hope this dissuades others from thinking about doing anything similar.

futto futto 7:03 pm 27 Oct 08

As I sit here patting my ferret, I can only wish there is a nice place in hell for scum like this.

Deadmandrinking Deadmandrinking 7:02 pm 27 Oct 08

The internet is serious business…

I mean, seriously, the conversations on here could have just as easily gone on in a backyard.

toriness toriness 6:58 pm 27 Oct 08

I second that WMC

Woody Mann-Caruso Woody Mann-Caruso 6:46 pm 27 Oct 08

RiotACT constituted a punishment from the community

No, it constituted the community talking about what punishment it would like to deliver were they found guilty. I’m thinking rusty barbed wire wrapped around an old school glass Coke bottle stuck where the sun doesn’t shine, but with any luck they’ll get worse than that where they’re going. Enjoy your holiday, scumbags.

1 2 3 10 Next »