Skip to content Skip to main navigation

News

We'll switch your business
to Led lighting for Free*

Fiery rescue in Watson overnight

By johnboy - 16 October 2013 0

ACT Fire & Rescue is responding to reports of an apartment fire in Watson this morning.

Multiple fire crews have been sent to the complex in Aspinall Street to investigate.

Update to follow.

12:55 AM

Firefighters have rescued a young woman from her smoke logged apartment this morning after being by a neighbour to a smoke alarm.

ACT Fire & Rescue responded multiple units to the complex in Aspinall Street in Watson after receiving and emergency triple zero (000) call just after midnight.

The neighbour reported a smoke alarm had been sounding off next door.

Firefighters used a ladder to reach the balcony of the third level apartment and gain entry to the apartment.

The occupant, a woman believed to be in her mid 20’s, was located and evacuated from the premises.

Firefighters quickly identified cooking had been left unattended on the stovetop which had a severely burned base which filled the apartment with smoke.

The woman was assessed on scene by ACT Ambulance Service intensive care paramedics but did not require transport to hospital.

The apartment has been ventilated by fire crews who are now departing the scene.

ACT Fire & Rescue Commander Leigh Curtis says this incident is a timely reminder never to leave cooking unattended and that working smoke alarms save lives.

1:26 AM

[Courtesy ESA]

What’s Your opinion?


Post a comment
Please login to post your comments, or connect with

Related Articles

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Top
Copyright © 2017 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.
www.the-riotact.com | www.b2bmagazine.com.au | www.thisiscanberra.com

Search across the site