Firework menace completely un-policed

johnboy 4 June 2009 69

The Canberra Times has been digging for records on the numbers of firework miscreants getting punished for misusing black powder fun.

And it turns out there aren’t any.

“The Office of Regulatory Services says its records, which aren’t exhaustive, show no fines were issued last year or over the past few years.”

That’s one hell of a menace to society which must be banned.

What’s Your opinion?

69 Responses to
Firework menace completely un-policed
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newest
shanefos 9:39 am 04 Jun 09

Are you saying that fireworks aren’t being misused?
FFS!

pptvb 9:42 am 04 Jun 09

That just proves that The Office of Regulatory Services is THE most inept A.C.T Gov dept.
Their heads are so far up their A%&ses they almost choke themselves.
IMHO.

neanderthalsis 9:52 am 04 Jun 09

That’s one hell of a menace to society which must be banned.

I agree, the Canberra Times must be banned!

housebound 9:59 am 04 Jun 09

neanderthalsis said :

That’s one hell of a menace to society which must be banned.

I agree, the Canberra Times must be banned!

ant 10:15 am 04 Jun 09

I’m not sure that lack of official activity on the part of an official body means there’s nothing to investigate/prosecute.

Gungahlin Al 10:16 am 04 Jun 09

As I’ve said before, if everything else in the ACT got the level of enforcement that car parking does, perhaps people wouldn’t be so blase about complying?

ant 10:18 am 04 Jun 09

Let’s get the Brown Bombers onto Tailgating! They’d clean up big-time.

LG 10:35 am 04 Jun 09

housebound said :

neanderthalsis said :

That’s one hell of a menace to society which must be banned.

I agree, the Canberra Times must be banned!

Lets face it, its not surprising that fines haven’t been issued for misuse since it would be very unlikely to identify who blew up whos letter box.

weeziepops 11:47 am 04 Jun 09

But it would be quite easy to identify those houses which are holding their own little SkyFire sessions outside the permissable dates and fine them. I think I might go and test whether they are just as compacent about some of the other laws in this fine town.

Spideydog 12:13 pm 04 Jun 09

neanderthalsis said :

That’s one hell of a menace to society which must be banned.

I agree, the Canberra Times must be banned!

Yeah, I’ll jump on that bandwagon …. lol

Holden Caulfield 12:35 pm 04 Jun 09

LG said :

Not to mention you’d need staffers working over time, well into the early hours, to catch the scrotes responsible.

The real question, though, is how much of a problem is it really? OK, pets get anxious and sometimes run away, and the odd letterbox gets blown to bits, but we have assualts, robberies, and all manner of much more serious crime in this town that doesn’t seem to be being adequately addressed at the moment.

And do we realistically expect a bunch of low level pubes to get together an enforcement program that will stand up in court? If the cops can’t respond to kids mucking around with fireworks, will parking inspectors do any better?

FWIW, I think fireworks get way too much media airtime. I’m not convinced it’s that big an issue.

Skidbladnir 12:56 pm 04 Jun 09

Agreed, VY.
Let’s keep some fun with an associated risk, lest all of Canberra’s children end up as bubble-wrapped, humourless servants of the fun police.

Davo111 1:06 pm 04 Jun 09

VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy said :

^^ as per above

Woody Mann-Caruso 1:15 pm 04 Jun 09

VY +1.

Sic 1:18 pm 04 Jun 09

Some kids were setting off fireworks in Giralang last night, we stepped outside and appreciated the free show.

Some people really need to take off their angry grandpa pants and get over themselves. Australia is already well on its way to becoming a police state where everything fun is illegal and regulated, I enjoy my one weekend a year we can set off fireworks, who really cares if people set them off in the week before and after, is it really effecting your life in such a negative way you need to get it banned?

stonedwookie 1:42 pm 04 Jun 09

@Sic
i agree with you who really cares its just abit of fun.
living in a nanny state is no fun

Hercsie 2:06 pm 04 Jun 09

As with any activity a minority will spoil it for others.

I don’t mind the annual display of fireworks. What sh*ts me to tears are the miscreants who obtain “under the counter” bungers and other illegal “types” of fireworks and then set about a program of letting them off over the next 3 months at between midnight and 4:00AM.

Holden Caulfield 2:09 pm 04 Jun 09

Last year on “this weekend” some kids were setting off fireworks in a hopper outside a nearby school. This, after they were unsuccessful at burning down the school’s playground equipment. Still, I guess you’re right, easy access to fireworks is just a bit of fun. If a school gets burned down by a few kids having a laugh then that’s a small price to pay for not living in a nanny state.

You know, it’s funny how incidents like this seem to happen around the same weekend. But, I’m sure it is just a coincidence.

The odd cracker let off from time to time throughout the year – I find it annoying, but not a massive problem.

The use of crackers as per the published regulations over the QB weekend – obviously I’m not a huge fan, but, really, no problem.

The use of crackers for anti-social behaviour such as letter box bombs, general vandalism and use well into small hours of the morning from Fri-Mon over the QB weekend – not acceptable.

As usual, it is the halfwits like that who spoil the fun “responsible” people.

Have your fun, by all means, just don’t be pricks about it. That’s not too much to ask.

G-Fresh 2:10 pm 04 Jun 09

neanderthalsis said :

That’s one hell of a menace to society which must be banned.

I agree, the Canberra Times must be banned!

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.