Firework menace completely un-policed

johnboy 4 June 2009 69

The Canberra Times has been digging for records on the numbers of firework miscreants getting punished for misusing black powder fun.

And it turns out there aren’t any.

“The Office of Regulatory Services says its records, which aren’t exhaustive, show no fines were issued last year or over the past few years.”

That’s one hell of a menace to society which must be banned.

69 Responses to Firework menace completely un-policed
Holden Caulfield 12:11 am 08 Jun 09

Good timing there. Shortly after I wrote the previous post a few crackers were set off from over the road towards three or four houses, including ours.

Thanks for the attention, we really appreciate it.

Holden Caulfield 11:48 pm 07 Jun 09

Well, last night wasn't too bad, but some yokels have been letting off firework regularly for the last 40 minutes or so now. :(

peterh 5:18 pm 05 Jun 09

[quote comment="211180"]So Hargreaves wants to ban fireworks because some irresponsible fools defy the law and let them off outside of specified times. A further problem is the illegal 'dynamite' grade crackers that also seem to be available under the counter. Apparently policing is too dificult.

The sale and consumption of alcohol is also regulated by law. One of these laws is that irresponsible fools are not permitted to drive when inebriated. Unfortunately it is reported that this seems to occur regularly, with accidents, sometimes including death and injury, causing huge social costs. And this all happens in spite of heavy policing.

Mr Hargreaves: You stand accused of hipocracy unless you also present a ban on alcohol to the LA![/quote]

don't you mean to mr hargreaves? wholesale ban of sale of alcohol to him would be good.

perhaps he should run an online poll on whether to ban fireworks, and put it out to the entire act population who use the internet...

cranky 5:03 pm 05 Jun 09

Peppablack 10:59 am 05 Jun 09

Well for many year fireworks in my suburb go on for the next few weeks regardless of various complaints from neighbours in Rivett, they just go down to the local ovals and destroy them with the remains of the rubbish left over from the fireworks.. The ACT continues to inforce the safe times and private properties that they can be left off, but this is constantly ignored throughout the years. I used to enjoy them, but my it's just gotton out of hand with people not respecting the laws inforces by authorities that turn a blind eye every year this goes on! Staying indoors in the only option for some of us

peterh 10:31 am 05 Jun 09

[quote comment="210988"]I can solve that problem overnight. Legalise the illegal fireworks and then there won't be any illegal fireworks being let off.

;-P[/quote]

riiight. and that would mean that 18yo kids could get ahold of crackers and blow up concrete bunker letterboxes, bins, and themselves? not what I want to see.

jakez 10:15 am 05 Jun 09

;-P

peterh 10:08 am 05 Jun 09

all well and good jakez, don't drop your pants, really. The fundamental problem that we law abiding citizenry face is the illegal devices being detonated around canberra over the weekend. maybe hargreaves should impose heftier fines for the sale and use of the illegal fireworks and leave the legal ones alone? banning the fireworks won't solve the problem he is addressing, fining users of the illegals may cramp their style somewhat.

jakez 9:58 am 05 Jun 09

[quote comment="210892"]i'm a anti-gun, pro-firework guy. It's the only damn reason i live in this town and yes, i will be supporting local businesses this weekend with my legal quota of high quality sparkers and wizz fizzers.

All you nanny state facists need to live a bit more and not be so afraid of your shadow so much.[/quote]

Anti-gun in what way? In a nanny state fascist way? Or a I'm personally not into it way?

[quote comment="210904"]Can I ask if any of you that really want to let off fireworks are prepared to assist with handling the consequences. The dogs and cats that end up in the pounds, the rubbish left about, the damage caused, the small fires.

There are already a large number of dogs on the list to be killed at the DAS pound shortly if they are not adopted or rescued in the next few days. This is before the expected influx of dogs due to the fireworks.[/quote]

1, I have recently come to the conclusion that sedating of animals is a rightful cost of pet ownership. I do not have any pets at the moment but will carry this principle with me when I do.

2, I'm about to start donating money/time to ACT Resue & Foster. I no longer support RSPCA (beyond acknowledging them as a potential pet source) as they are an organisation that actively works against freedom.

3, I would get a dog now from the pound/rspca/act rescue & foster but I am not the owner of my house.

4, As for the damage, rubbish, and small fires. Having worked in the cinema industry for 9 years I am meticulous about not leaving rubbish. I have never had use for the Fire Service and thus consider myself in surplus contribution to that organisation. I will be joining the Volunteer Firefighters this year. I contribute to the intellectual debate on issues of law reform and insurance that would also address your concerns.

Is this enough for me to have my freedom back or do I need to drop my pants for further inspection first?

ahappychappy 9:56 am 05 Jun 09

I don't think that the people letting off the fireworks (or the fireworks) are to blame. I think the un-educated and un-willing members of society who show complete disregard for the animals by leaving them outside are to blame. They KNOW the fireworks are about at the moment, if you love your animals so much, bring them inside and save them the "torment". I agree, that in some cases the animals suffer (like my dog is scared of fireworks) but I just bring him inside and there's no issue.

Postalgeek 9:44 am 05 Jun 09

The last time we did a Queens Birthday cracker night, we lit a couple of bonfires on a rural private property. Someone called out the fire brigade three times, complaining about the bonfires. The firies were good about it; their advice was to notify them in advance of a bonfire so they can ignore the cranks. I pass that advice on.

Woody Mann-Caruso 9:06 am 05 Jun 09

I make a substantial donation to the RSpCA every year. I didn't know this meant I could buy bigger and more fireworks. Thanks laughtong!

shauno 8:00 am 05 Jun 09

…or we could all just realise there are some dickheads in society, chill with a beer and let off some fireworks.

Yep exactly why isn't this a problem in Europe but it is in our over governed over regulated insulated society.

We use to have a great time on a winters night in Canberra with a bonfire in the back yard to keep warm and fireworks its great. I had dogs to and just kept them inside to easy.

BerraBoy68 7:58 am 05 Jun 09

What Willo said plus: most people do pick up theior spent fireworks, sure some don;'t but then have you ever been to a venue after a major sporting or musical event? Idiots leave trash on the ground are numerically speaking in the minority. I've also never seen damage caused by crackers - again that's a few idiots. As Kramer said above, ever seen the damage caused by cars? Take a deep breath, lock your dog up and move on.

Pandy 7:33 am 05 Jun 09

chewy, I would applaud your comment if I could. +1!

willo 6:51 am 05 Jun 09

can i ask if you have done anything to educate the clowns that allow their dogs to escape from what by law is meant to be a secure yard?

laughtong 6:45 am 05 Jun 09

Kramer 11:29 pm 04 Jun 09

Late last night some guys were doing burnouts in their cars not far from my house, so lets ban all cars! Also a guy hit another guy in Civic on the weekend, so lets ban all guys!!!

...or we could all just realise there are some dickheads in society, chill with a beer and let off some fireworks.

ant 11:23 pm 04 Jun 09

You live in Canberra because you can get crackers? bloody hell.

futto 11:19 pm 04 Jun 09

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.