First fire of the year goes badly in Pearce

johnboy 11 April 2012

ACT Fire & Rescue has extinguished a fire this morning in a house at Pearce.

Firefighters rushed to the property in Charlton Street when the alarm was raised just after 7 o’clock.

Crews arrived to find a fire burning in the roof space of the home which was caused by a wood fired heater setting loose insulation alight.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire preventing it from spreading to other parts of the house.

The two occupants were alerted to the fire by a passer by who noticed smoke coming from the roof.

Both safely evacuated and called emergency triple zero (000).

The occupants have told firefighters they noticed a small fire in the ceiling last night and put it out themselves then went to bed.

ACT Fire & Rescue strongly urges householders to immediately call emergency triple zero (000) if a fire starts in their home.

They also remind people with wood fire heaters to get them and their chimneys cleaned and serviced before starting to use them in the colder weather.

8:00am Wednesday 11 April 2012

Firefighters are now checking the chimney and surrounding wall cavity to ensure the fire did not spread beyond the roof space.

The damage to the property has been minimal.

ACT Fire & Rescue remind the community to ensure they have working smoke alarms in their homes including testing them regularly and replacing the batteries if they don’t work.

8:18am Wednesday 11 April 2012

ACT Fire & Rescue has completed fire fighting operations and are due to depart the scene shortly.

Estimated damage $50,000.

10:25am Wednesday 11 April 2012

[Courtesy ESA]

What's Your Opinion?

Please login to post your comments, or connect with

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Region Group Pty Ltd

Search across the site