Territory and Municipal Services are trying to help you help them with a list of ways to recycle your garbage better:
1. There’s a simple way to remember which plastics are recyclable. Soft plastics like chip packets, plastic film and bubble wrap can’t go in the recycling bin, but rigid plastics like plastic meat trays, biscuit trays and toothpaste tubes can.
2. Disposable nappies cannot go in the recycling bin even if the box has a recycling triangle on it or they say they are biodegradable. Nappies need to be disposed of in your green lidded rubbish bin. They cannot be recycled and in fact cause damage to sorting machines and can have health impacts on staff on the sorting line.
3. You don’t need to clean or rinse out any containers before putting them in your recycling bin. You can even leave the lids on. It will all be taken care for you at the next stage of the recycling.
4. Aluminium foil (rolled into a ball), pizza boxes and greasy paper from hamburgers and fish ‘n chips, even ones with small amounts of food attached, can all go in your recycling bin.
5. Envelopes with plastic windows as well as paper fastened with staples, sticky tape or even blu tac are all recyclable.