For some, the end begins now.

Skidbladnir 22 January 2008 56

ABC Online: NCA cuts 30 jobs
More than 30 jobs have been slashed from the National Capital Authority (NCA) under the Rudd Government’s proposal to slash the federal bureaucracy…

ABC Online: PM to continue public service cuts despite $3b windfall
Prime Minister Kevin Rudd says a $3 billion windfall inherited from the Howard government will not stop his government making massive savings within the federal bureaucracy…

Canberra times Online: Rudd’s PS cuts to boost surplus
Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has pledged further sweeping cuts to Government spending and the public service to deliver a budget surplus of at least $16 billion…

While it is nice to see some heads roll at the NCA, how do you cut $13 billion out of the existing public service?

56 Responses to For some, the end begins now.
Pandy Pandy 7:04 am 23 Jan 08

And get rid of compulsory private health insurance by getting rid of the Medicare surcharge.

Thumper Thumper 8:08 am 23 Jan 08

Given that this is a third of the NCA one may suggest a tiny bit of Canberra bashing here?

Thumper Thumper 8:11 am 23 Jan 08

Fluges,

we may not agree on many things, but that bridge will be an eyesore.

Privately funded or not, it’s just someone’s ideology being made into a permanent structure that I would hazard a guess, no one wants…

Ralph Ralph 8:13 am 23 Jan 08

Get rid of the dole and pensions.

Get rid of medicare.

Get rid of public education.

Thumper Thumper 8:18 am 23 Jan 08

Middle class welfare… get rid of it! Breeder bribe bonus, Family Tax A and B, Childcare rebate, fark if people want to have kids, great, it’s a free country but why are we all paying for this?

Couldn’t have said it better….

Ralph Ralph 8:48 am 23 Jan 08

And all you whining shit heads can donate your tax cuts back to the ATO if you don’t want it, or give it to your local public school or public hospital.

Bet you won’t – i’ts the guvverments responsibility!

Mælinar Mælinar 9:10 am 23 Jan 08

But Ralph, that’s not tax cuts, its dues for putting up with the coalition for so long.

wishuwell wishuwell 9:12 am 23 Jan 08

Perhaps the third of NCA being cut is the Snow Family Division. What am I thinking? Never happen.

Fluges Fluges 8:46 pm 23 Jan 08

No Thumper, we did agree on something once, forget what it was. I think I’m having an argument with Millsy about the immigration bridge in another thread about community cabinet meetings.

Skidbladnir Skidbladnir 12:31 pm 24 Jan 08

According to this article (near the bottom):

Kevin Rudd has tightened the spending capacity of his ministers to hire staff and vowed to return the public service to the number of staff in 1996.

I-filed I-filed 9:35 pm 25 Jan 08

The pruning task has been handed to senior SES officers within the departments by Secretaries, hasn’t it? Guess what level of staff they’re cutting back from! Not the junior SES dead wood, that’s for sure.

ant ant 9:44 pm 25 Jan 08

Family Tax Benefit B to be means tested!!!! Unfortunatly, the filthy rich earning 250k a year can still get it, but it’s a start. Hopefully there’s a longer term plan to starve them of our taxes so they can be used for something useful. Now for the Breeder Bribe and the rest of it. Why are we handing tax money to rich people?

Pandy Pandy 9:34 am 26 Jan 08

Ant being a computer programmer are you not considered to be rich?

el ......VNBerlinaV8 el ......VNBerlinaV8 11:23 am 26 Jan 08

I’m fairly sure ant isn’t claiming any tax concessions due to choosing to have a kid, Pandy.

ant ant 11:29 am 26 Jan 08

bloody oath. I can’t claim any tax concessions for anything, so I’m watching my taxes being poured into the pockets of people who earn a LOT more than me. It’s misuse of taxes. They should be used for people who *need* it, not those who *want* it.

Pandy Pandy 10:08 pm 26 Jan 08